Drum oriented music
Sep 11, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #32 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm...off the top of my head, there's a Dizzy Gillespie and Max Roach duet album that's OK. You might try the punkish band Death From Above 1979; it's just drums and bass with a singer. Several Brazilian percussionists make nice stuff; look into Nana Vasconcelos and Cyro Baptista for acoustic percussion, and maybe Ramiro Musotto for electronic stuff. Also, look into Cuban rumba drum-circle type stuff like Lazaro Rós or Grupo Afrocuba de Matanzas; some years ago a San Francisco percussionist named John Santos put together a fine band called Coro Folklórico Kindembo and made a fine record called Hacia El Amor. Oh, and there's a record, Pieces Of Time, that features a quartet of legendary jazz drummers: Kenny Clarke, Andrew Cyrille, Milford Graves and Famoudou Don Moyé.

A little late, 'cause I've been scarce around here lately, but I thought I'd better make sure everyone caught the name John Santos, a crazy good conguero -- and yes, there's plenty of Cuban folkloric stuff out there that will scratch your drumming itch. Also, Santos' Latin jazz quintet is unbelievable, one of the best. Not pushing the envelope with structures, sounds and harmony like some of the big names these days (Omar Sosa, Yosvany Terry, Danilo Perez), but the group's rhythmic interplay is impossible. Just go see them if you're a Bay Area person.

Sep 15, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #35 of 45
Feb 15, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #37 of 45
Anything with Bill Bruford in it (including the old Yes stuff he was a part of or his later solo stuff) is killer. Any of the Dave Weckl (as mentioned earlier) stuff, including the Chick Corea Electric Band recordings, is stunning. And the UK and pretty much any other Bozzio work is awesome. Lastly, Chad Wackerman (Zappa, among others)--crazy good.

Apr 10, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #41 of 45
I'd say Ill Nino are very drum oriented at times. The drumming is latin inspired over metal. This a lot of standard metal stuff from them but when they go off type they are really interesting :-

Also it might be worth your while checking out Indukti particularly the Idmen album, it's a very experimental album overall and has some great drumming.

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #45 of 45
Japanese traditional drumming excellent....need to dig out album name...(best not to listen to it while on motorbike).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back