Drum oriented music
Aug 24, 2008 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

ZepFloyd

500+ Head-Fier
I was wondering if anyone knew of some music that was more drum oriented. I dont know if there are any, but maybe a band that is instrumental but all drums, or mostly drums. It doesnt have to be an instrumental, but really any music that is just overpowered with a lot of drums. Anyone have any recommendations?

Aug 24, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 45
Mickey Hart (one of the drummers from the GD) has at least one album out that should fit the bill.

Aug 24, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 45
thanks for the suggestions...anyone else? if you want me to be a little more specific..even rock music does the trick. like for instance i like listening to a live version of "moby dick" by zeppelin, because bohnam goes off on a drum solo for awhile...so even if its not just straight drums but a band that has a lot of drum solos etc in the forefront i would like to check out as well.

Aug 25, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #7 of 45
Brent Lewis may be what you're looking for. Every instrument on his Junglemoon CD is percussion of some kind and it looks like he may have more CDs like it.

Aug 25, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #12 of 45
Danny Carey from Tool is a fantastic drummer.. very organic, pulsing, powerful. Pretty much all songs, especially "Ticks and Leeches", "Forty Six & 2", and others

Aug 25, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #14 of 45
My favorite is Liquid Liquid. They're more bass driven, but have a lot of drumming as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4gso...eature=related

Two albums I bought recently are Terry Bozzio's Solo Drum Music, Vols. 1 & 2 and Solo Drum Music, Vol. 2. It's just Bozzio playing drums. Fantastic.

Any Zappa album, especially those with Bozzio, has amazing drumming and percussion. Except for one track though, it's not drum based music.

Another band that's fantasic is Gong when lead by Pierre Morrlien. My favorite album for percussion is Gazuese, 4 dummers/percussionists YouTube - Expresso

Tito Puente's Top Percussion is a fantastic Latin jazz album.

A compilation that I've had for years is The Big Bang! Percussion music from around the world. Amazon.com: The Big Bang: In the Beginning Was the Drum: Various Artists: Music

Aug 25, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #15 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My favorite is Liquid Liquid. They're more bass driven, but have a lot of drumming as well. YouTube - Liquid Liquid - Cavern

Two albums I bought recently are Terry Bozzio's Solo Drum Music, Vols. 1 & 2 and Solo Drum Music, Vol. 2. It's just Bozzio playing drums. Fantastic.

Any Zappa album, especially those with Bozzio, has amazing drumming and percussion. Except for one track though, it's not drum based music.

Another band that's fantasic is Gong when lead by Pierre Morrlien. My favorite album for percussion is Gazuese, 4 dummers/percussionists YouTube - Expresso

Tito Puente's Top Percussion is a fantastic Latin jazz album.

A compilation that I've had for years is The Big Bang! Percussion music from around the world. Amazon.com: The Big Bang: In the Beginning Was the Drum: Various Artists: Music

nice thanks. the terry bozzio albums have me curious..think thats right up my alley in terms of what i'm looking for. all suggestions have been great..i'll be sure to look into purchasing some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back