Drop x HiFiMAN HE-5XX
Nov 16, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #406 of 654
The graphs might not look as polished as the fancy-ass tools, but at least they are accompanied with the correct interpretations. That’s a LOT more helpful:wink:
Definitely a great point. So long as the viewer is made aware of the limitations and proper adjustments in interpreting the measurements made with the equipment used, I would say it's as useful as others who used standardized measuring rig.

Nov 17, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #407 of 654
I received my HE-5xx today! Some early comparisons to my HE-500 with Dekoni pads the HE-5xx has better bass slam and clearer upper mids IMO.

Soundstage and imaging are similar, but comparisons have only been for a few minutes each.

This is an aggressive headphone so I tested mainly with metal so far. I'll be comparing the mid-range soon with some funk and acoustic guitar soon.

Plus the reduced weight is a huge plus! I have a bad neck so this will allow for longer listening sessions.

Nov 17, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #408 of 654
Like you I have the original HE500, it's still a very good headphone and a cut above the AKG 7s and Sennheiser 6s for my money, but the wearing comfort is what made me used the AKG K712 and Sennheiser 600 more.
BTW, the 'latest thread image" came up on the screen blocking part of the messages, how do you get rid of it to see the full length of the messages, I am a computer idiot

Nov 17, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #409 of 654
Been listening pretty heavy for the last two weeks with the 5xx. Still love them. The WA6 is a real nice match. Diggin the drum sound I get from these. Grateful Dead, Phish and anything jazz shines here IMO. EDM style and hip hop is also very enjoyable. Brighter recordings can get be a little much at times but not terrible. The recording really shines here. If the recording has it it comes through.

Nov 18, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #411 of 654
I received my HE-5xx today! Some early comparisons to my HE-500 with Dekoni pads the HE-5xx has better bass slam and clearer upper mids IMO.

What about the tonality of the bass?

Soundstage and imaging are similar, but comparisons have only been for a few minutes each.

I'm not impinging how you heard it, but I'm having a hard time believing that the 5XX has such a wide and deep sound stage as the 500.

Nov 18, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #412 of 654
Finally put the 5xx up against the Edition X (not the XX) to see how they compared. I waited until I got a 1/4" to 4 pin XLE so I could use the same set up. I am running a EchoBox Explorer (thank you Drop) into a Shiit Magni Heresy then into a Loxjie p20 using RCA to XLR convertors so I can use the XLR input. I started with the 5xx and Paulo Nutini Iron Sky; then some def tones and finally to Stevie Nicks. The 5xx is truly a good headphone and at first I was giving the Edition x the side eye. Then I went back. the main differences are the ULTRA amazing clarity of the Edition x and the timber of the sound itself. I would never kick the 5xx out of bed for eating crackers; the the Edition X is just more of what makes it great. It is subtle at time but think of the different of hearing a note played on guitar accurately or with the EDX feeling the vibration of the string while hearing the sound. For Paulo Nutini the 5xx was a 1080p movie that made you want it more where the EDX was a 4K super hi def adventure and you could hear that Paulo was a smoker. The EDX also has that bass, that Amazing bass that you can feel when it plays; makes my ears drool. I don't know if any of that makes sense to you; just my mindful dribble as another music lover. I would say the 5XX is worth double the drop price and would be hard to beat NEW for less than a thousand dollars.

Nov 18, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #413 of 654
What about the tonality of the bass?

I'm not impinging how you heard it, but I'm having a hard time believing that the 5XX has such a wide and deep sound stage as the 500.

Test tracks:
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Portugal. The Man - Mornings
Jamiroquai - 7 days in sunny June.
Infected Mushroom - Nutmeg
Fear Factory - Anodized

the tonality is slightly warmer on the bass, and seems more defined and faster as I can hear bass lines more clearly through the music.

trying to isolate soundstage I used the intro to thriller and the howls, in the beginning, sounds further away to me. This could be due to the can's generally more forward presentation.

Nov 18, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #415 of 654
I think the sound stage is larger than the 500. It has good imaging and it is deep.

If you say so, I'll entertain it as possible. Does it have the same speaker like rectangular speaker like sound stage? Wide, Wider than HEX v2, Ananda, Arya? And deeper across the stage, with the front of the stage just inside your head, and the the rest of it outside?

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #416 of 654
Test tracks:
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Portugal. The Man - Mornings
Jamiroquai - 7 days in sunny June.
Infected Mushroom - Nutmeg
Fear Factory - Anodized

the tonality is slightly warmer on the bass, and seems more defined and faster as I can hear bass lines more clearly through the music.

trying to isolate soundstage I used the intro to thriller and the howls, in the beginning, sounds further away to me. This could be due to the can's generally more forward presentation.

Warmer bass than the 500? 500 can be slow/under damped w/o mods true. Tonality is warmer? Or is that the bloom?

I only know the one track but don't use it for eval. I'll check them out. I'm more interested in something like Joe Jackson Night and Day first 4 cuts, Supertramp - Crime of the Century, Diana Krall - All for You, DCD, Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue, Stanley Clarke 1,

Nov 18, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #417 of 654
If you say so, I'll entertain it as possible. Does it have the same speaker like rectangular speaker like sound stage? Wide, Wider than HEX v2, Ananda, Arya? And deeper across the stage, with the front of the stage just inside your head, and the the rest of it outside?
I don't really look at the stage in that manner (or know how to describe it concretely), but I found 5XX to be one of the most spacious sounding Hifiman I've heard. I don't think 500 is more spacious than the 5XX. Hard to say about HEX, Ananda, or Arya.

Nov 18, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #418 of 654
I don't really look at the stage in that manner (or know how to describe it concretely), but I found 5XX to be one of the most spacious sounding Hifiman I've heard. I don't think 500 is more spacious than the 5XX. Hard to say about HEX, Ananda, or Arya.

Well that's how the 500 lays out, like a speaker - repeated here by many over the years.

Nov 18, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #419 of 654
Warmer bass than the 500? 500 can be slow/under damped w/o mods true. Tonality is warmer? Or is that the bloom?

I only know the one track but don't use it for eval. I'll check them out. I'm more interested in something like Joe Jackson Night and Day first 4 cuts, Supertramp - Crime of the Century, Diana Krall - All for You, DCD, Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue, Stanley Clarke 1,

I feel it's a bit warmer, not by miles, but side by side it has the advantage.

I don't feel its bloom since drums seem well defined and I can simulate bloom with my Loki enabled and jack up the sub-bass.

Some other tracks tested that emphasize the strengths of these cans:

Masters of Reality - moon in your pocket
Masters of Reality - 100 years (of tears on the wind)
Gorillaz - momentary bliss (around 2:57 I found myself looking around the room for the source of the synths since the soundstage is well presented.)

It should also be noted that I have Dekoni Hybrid Elite pads on my HE-500.

And the disparity I'm seeing between my impressions and reviews and I did not touch the volume knob on my lry2 when switching back and forth. The HE-500 is less sensitive and needs about an increase from 10 am to 12 pm on the know to volume-match.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #420 of 654
I feel it's a bit warmer, not by miles, but side by side it has the advantage.

I don't feel its bloom since drums seem well defined and I can simulate bloom with my Loki enabled and jack up the sub-bass.

Some other tracks tested that emphasize the strengths of these cans:

Masters of Reality - moon in your pocket
Masters of Reality - 100 years (of tears on the wind)
Gorillaz - momentary bliss (around 2:57 I found myself looking around the room for the source of the synths since the soundstage is well presented.)

Good response, may take me a bit to run them both, just took on a new puppy....
thumbnail.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back