Drop x HiFiMAN HE-5XX
Dec 9, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #436 of 654
Has anyone done a comparison or know the differences between the original he-400 and the he-500? I have a stock he-400 and a modded pair of he-400(grill mod and velour pads). I'm going to compare my stock he-400 vs he-5XX.
I got both, he500 is more detail and the mid range on he500 is better, more engaging. I like them both, he400 bass is really good.

Dec 10, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #437 of 654
Still loving these! Was running them through my Asgard 2 for a while and I thought that was a great match. Plenty of power in high gain mode. Definitely recommend this combo.

I also recently acquired a Peachtree Nova 150 and I’ve been running all my headphones through this for the past two weeks and the HE5xx sounds beautiful through it. Plenty of power and great detail.

As good as the Peachtree is, I paid 115 bucks for the Asgard and its worth every penny! Just a solid choice all around. The Nova 150 is as well but it’s way more than $115 but does way more obviously. It drives my KEF Q550’s beautifully.

I also feel like the dynamics improved with the Peachtree with the HE5XX. Alright that’s it for now.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #438 of 654
Hi guys, I'm interested in getting a headphone for watching movies (70%) and listening to music (30%). I am looking at Drop + Sennheiser HD 6XX & 58X; Drop + Hifiman HE-5XX & HE-4XX; and Hifiman wired DEVA and Sundara.

My questions are:
  • Do you have direct feedback on 5XX (or DEVA) to 4XX and Sundara specific to vocals? How is vocal, full vs recessed?
  • Is the weight difference that significant between different Hifiman headphones? Many YouTubers said 5XX and DEVA feel light (and cheap). 5XX is 355g, DEVA 360g, 4XX 370g, Sundara 370g. These are all quite heavy, compared to 6XX 260g. Is 5XX that much lighter than other Hifiman headphones? (My Shure AONIC 50 is 335g. It is not light and I initially hoping to get something lighter. But I will choose SQ over weight)
  • 5XX interest seems quite low. Less than 1000 sold on Drop. And no activity on this forum for 2 weeks. Is there something I'm missing?
  • Any additional feedback or suggestion for movie watching?
I currently own Shure AONIC 50 (bluetooth wireless). For music, I notice voice quality first. So I prefer flat response with strong mids. I don't like V-shaped headphones with recessed vocals. That was why I got the ANOIC 50.

On Oluv's Gadget website, I listened to side by side comparison of HD 6XX, 58X, HE-4XX, Sundara. I definitely like HD 6XX the best for vocals. I was set to buy HD 6XX. Then I though again about what I want the headphone for. It will mainly be for watching movies. Downside of HD 6XX is the in your face, intimate, and small sound stage (just like AONIC 50), which is not so good for movies. And I already have Shure AONIC 50. I'm not saying it is as good as HD 6XX. Just that they are similar in strong mids for vocals but lacking in soundstage.

Between HE-4XX and 6XX, I think I will prefer HE-4XX for watching movies because. Even with the Oluv's binaural recording, I can tell 4XX is more open, even if it is hard to tell true sound stage from recording. And between 4XX and Sundara, they do sound different; hard to say which is better; I kind of like HE-4XX better for music, as the vocals seems less recessed compared to Sundara.

http://switcher.oluvsgadgets.net/?vidone=8I5I1rpZNdk&vidtwo=ROyPnrFVTVY

Unfortunately, there is no sound demo comparison online for HE-5XX or DEVA. I'm just going by online reviews.
  • 5XX is similar (if not exactly the same) to DEVA.
  • Many do not like DEVA but prefer Sundara.
  • And there are expectation that 5XX is better than 4XX, but there are not a lot of direct comparisons.
As for price, I'm good with prices of headphones mentioned ($170, $220, $350). I do have a cheap guitar amp. And I'm willing to get amp (around $100 to $150) if really needed. Right now, just based assumption that 5XX has similar or better vocals (fuller and not recessed) than 4XX, lower weight, and better comfort, I'm leaning toward 5XX and DEVA. Just personal preference. I actually like the style and color of DEVA over 5XX. And I see that DEVA headband has more cushioning and seems more comfortable.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #439 of 654
Hi guys, I'm interested in getting a headphone for watching movies (70%) and listening to music (30%). I am looking at Drop + Sennheiser HD 6XX & 58X; Drop + Hifiman HE-5XX & HE-4XX; and Hifiman wired DEVA and Sundara.

My questions are:
  • Do you have direct feedback on 5XX (or DEVA) to 4XX and Sundara specific to vocals? How is vocal, full vs recessed?
  • Is the weight difference that significant between different Hifiman headphones? Many YouTubers said 5XX and DEVA feel light (and cheap). 5XX is 355g, DEVA 360g, 4XX 370g, Sundara 370g. These are all quite heavy, compared to 6XX 260g. Is 5XX that much lighter than other Hifiman headphones? (My Shure AONIC 50 is 335g. It is not light and I initially hoping to get something lighter. But I will choose SQ over weight)
  • 5XX interest seems quite low. Less than 1000 sold on Drop. And no activity on this forum for 2 weeks. Is there something I'm missing?
  • Any additional feedback or suggestion for movie watching?
I currently own Shure AONIC 50 (bluetooth wireless). For music, I notice voice quality first. So I prefer flat response with strong mids. I don't like V-shaped headphones with recessed vocals. That was why I got the ANOIC 50.

On Oluv's Gadget website, I listened to side by side comparison of HD 6XX, 58X, HE-4XX, Sundara. I definitely like HD 6XX the best for vocals. I was set to buy HD 6XX. Then I though again about what I want the headphone for. It will mainly be for watching movies. Downside of HD 6XX is the in your face, intimate, and small sound stage (just like AONIC 50), which is not so good for movies. And I already have Shure AONIC 50. I'm not saying it is as good as HD 6XX. Just that they are similar in strong mids for vocals but lacking in soundstage.

Between HE-4XX and 6XX, I think I will prefer HE-4XX for watching movies because. Even with the Oluv's binaural recording, I can tell 4XX is more open, even if it is hard to tell true sound stage from recording. And between 4XX and Sundara, they do sound different; hard to say which is better; I kind of like HE-4XX better for music, as the vocals seems less recessed compared to Sundara.

http://switcher.oluvsgadgets.net/?vidone=8I5I1rpZNdk&vidtwo=ROyPnrFVTVY

Unfortunately, there is no sound demo comparison online for HE-5XX or DEVA. I'm just going by online reviews.
  • 5XX is similar (if not exactly the same) to DEVA.
  • Many do not like DEVA but prefer Sundara.
  • And there are expectation that 5XX is better than 4XX, but there are not a lot of direct comparisons.
As for price, I'm good with prices of headphones mentioned ($170, $220, $350). I do have a cheap guitar amp. And I'm willing to get amp (around $100 to $150) if really needed. Right now, just based assumption that 5XX has similar or better vocals (fuller and not recessed) than 4XX, lower weight, and better comfort, I'm leaning toward 5XX and DEVA. Just personal preference. I actually like the style and color of DEVA over 5XX. And I see that DEVA headband has more cushioning and seems more comfortable.
You should be looking at the Sundara and the Audio Technica ATH-R70X. The ATH-R70X is the HD 6XX upgraded, while there have been refinements to both over time that have seen its tonal quality and detail level change, which you can clearly see with regards to the Sundara:

1608786102922.png

1608786165436.png

Having heard the HD 650, the ATH-R70X and the updated Sundara, I can say that they are all impressive headphones, but for your purposes, I would be more interested in the Sundara and the ATH-R70X, probably the latter. They have a balanced, but less relaxed sound signature than the HD6XX, with less bass roll off, and no Sennheiser 'veil' (smoothed mids, bass roll off) that might remove what you're looking for in a cinematic experience.

I would skip the 4XX and 5XX entirely for the moment, and instead take a look at the HE400i 2020 edition if you want a lower cost option. You've also got the option of the AKG K371 if you're happy to go closed back.

Going in the other direction, there's the HIFIMAN Ananda and Sennheiser HD 800S.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #440 of 654

If you have a decent amp, throw the HE-560 V4 into the mix. Adorama currently has them for $270. They are similar to Sundara.

https://www.adorama.com/hmhe560v4.html?emailprice=t

On Oluv's Gadget website, I listened to side by side comparison of HD 6XX, 58X, HE-4XX, Sundara. I definitely like HD 6XX the best for vocals.

Listening to headphone demos on YouTube is a very unreliable way to shop for headphones (and speakers, too). They can provide as much misinformation about how a headphone sounds as useful information. So unless you know what you are doing in terms of what information you can take from what you hear, you can be misled to like the wrong headphone, for it can bias you against a headphone that you might like better.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #441 of 654
You should be looking at the Sundara and the Audio Technica ATH-R70X. The ATH-R70X is the HD 6XX upgraded, while there have been refinements to both over time that have seen its tonal quality and detail level change, which you can clearly see with regards to the Sundara:

Having heard the HD 650, the ATH-R70X and the updated Sundara, I can say that they are all impressive headphones, but for your purposes, I would be more interested in the Sundara and the ATH-R70X, probably the latter. They have a balanced, but less relaxed sound signature than the HD6XX, with less bass roll off, and no Sennheiser 'veil' (smoothed mids, bass roll off) that might remove what you're looking for in a cinematic experience.

I would skip the 4XX and 5XX entirely for the moment, and instead take a look at the HE400i 2020 edition if you want a lower cost option. You've also got the option of the AKG K371 if you're happy to go closed back.

Going in the other direction, there's the HIFIMAN Ananda and Sennheiser HD 800S.
Holy cow! The revision of Sundara is the earpads? It makes that much of a difference? I didn't like the Sundara when it first came out and somebody told me there was a revision. My issue was exactly how it's shown in the measurement of the non-revised pads, the mids. No wonder people are saying good things about it now.

I'm starting to think sound transparency depends on the 2k area. It's necessary tonal support for sound transparency.

The earpads situation is laughable. lol It's Hifiman for ya. It's like we all have to pad roll to get them to sound right.

I will say resolution is better on the 6XX than R70X, but I agree about the bass of the 6XX (although sometimes amp can help it).

K371 as closedback is a good cost effective option, but if imaging, stage, air is of concern, it's better to go Hifiman. I thought 5XX has good spatial imagining (although not so upfront and highly detailed), and certainly better than a closedback.

If you have a decent amp, throw the HE-560 V4 into the mix. Adorama currently has them for $270. They are similar to Sundara.
I found the difference was the 560 has a screachy peak in the treble somewhere. Which is significant enough for me.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #442 of 654
I found the difference was the 560 has a screachy peak in the treble somewhere. Which is significant enough for me.

Both have their own treble peaks, but the Sundara's is arguably peakier because of the bigger dip at 5K. Sundara in blue

sundara-vs-he560.png

DIYAudio Heaven notes that the Sundara has an angled driver, so that can make them sound a bit more relaxed.
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/hifiman/sundara/

I prefer HE560. However, my experience with both is that it's probably a toss-up as to which someone would like better. And that seems to be the case, based on testimonials I have seen from people who have listened to both. Individual preference.

Dec 24, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #443 of 654
Both have their own treble peaks, but the Sundara's is arguably peakier because of the bigger dip at 5K. Sundara in blue

sundara-vs-he560.png

DIYAudio Heaven notes that the Sundara has an angled driver, so that can make them sound a bit more relaxed.
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/hifiman/sundara/

I prefer HE560. However, my experience with both is that it's probably a toss-up as to which someone would like better. And that seems to be the case, based on testimonials I have seen from people who have listened to both. Individual preference.
DIYAudio utilizes DIY flat plate rig that doesn't represent how the sound is heard by avg ear due to utilizing a rig that is non-standard with no pinna attached. The rig will cause random peaks and valleys from a flat plate, so the rig doesn't get anywhere close to sound experienced through an ear.

The responses with a pinna simulator will look like the measurements I've responded.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #444 of 654
DIYAudio utilizes DIY flat plate rig that doesn't represent how the sound is heard by avg ear due to utilizing a rig that is non-standard with no pinna attached. The rig will cause random peaks and valleys from a flat plate, so the rig doesn't get anywhere close to sound experienced through an ear.

The responses with a pinna simulator will look like the measurements I've responded.

Which measurements for the HE-560 would you like to share? Crinacle's measurements for the HE-560 don't show any kind of significant peak for HE-560 V1. His Sundara measurements look peakier.

I'm not doubting what you heard. Just your claim as if this is how the HE-560 will sound to everyone. Rather, it's more of an individual preference. Both of these are somewhat bright headphones where the individual treble emphasis in one may bother some people, but not others. And vice versa.

Dec 25, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #445 of 654
Holy cow! The revision of Sundara is the earpads? It makes that much of a difference? I didn't like the Sundara when it first came out and somebody told me there was a revision. My issue was exactly how it's shown in the measurement of the non-revised pads, the mids. No wonder people are saying good things about it now.
The discussion was that there's been driver process refinement, as well as a change to dampening material on the back of the driver, but that the latter was cosmetic.

I can confirm the tonal change, but still sorting through the soundstage and imaging of it.

Dec 30, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #447 of 654
The discussion was that there's been driver process refinement, as well as a change to dampening material on the back of the driver, but that the latter was cosmetic.

I can confirm the tonal change, but still sorting through the soundstage and imaging of it.
When I asked Team Hifiman, they told me there wasn't much changes to the pads besides the glue.

The top response looks like 5XX, or should I say DEVA?

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #449 of 654
I saw that Drop already has a sale/price drop on these ($200 now).
I wonder if that was planned, or reactionary due to a lackluster start.

I'm still curious, but just not sure that these would really offer enough of a jump from the 4xx.
I found the 4XX rather boring and sold them a while back - I find the 5XX a better listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back