Drop x HiFiMAN HE-5XX
Nov 14, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #395 of 654
I'll wait for the durability reports to come in on these, but I admit the matte black looks better than the stock Deva. I personally wouldn't buy them as I have the Sundara and it seems quite a bit better in build. But, if the sound quality is as close as people say to the Sundara, this is an exceptional deal and would be a great buy for someone not able to go up to the $350 price point. This is maybe replacing the wired Deva then?

Nov 15, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #397 of 654
I thought it was repeatedly established that this driver is not performing the same as the Deva wired... why are we going back over this?

It has similar parts, but it is not the same execution.

I just watched Resolve's video and the breakdown and it looks identical to the Deva minus the headband. His graphs show nearly identical if not exactly identical performance, and he even says it sounds pretty much identical. The comment about it replacing the wired Deva was just a speculation based on Hifiman taking it off their store, not that people would necessarily prefer the 5XX over it.

I haven't read every post about this headphone, so forgive any confusion.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #398 of 654
I thought it was repeatedly established that this driver is not performing the same as the Deva wired... why are we going back over this?

It has similar parts, but it is not the same execution.
If you consider all the evidence, it's undeniable the driver is the Deva driver. We are merely pointing out that it containing same driver as Deva is conclusive and not what some thought to be speculatory in the past.

This needed to be addressed since it contradicts Drop's statments, and also the associations to 500 to be baseless, but derives from marketting motivations.

This is something good to be pointed out so people would keep questioning any of Drop's comments.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #399 of 654
I just ordered the 5XX a few days ago, back on November 11th.. supposed to be shipped out this week on the 18th. This will be first planar magnetic headphones. I've been doing a lot of reading and watching reviews on the 5XX, and it's definitely a mixed bag of reviews. Not going to lie, I'm kind of having mixed feeling about the purchase even though I have not received them yet. At the same time, I am really looking forward to being able to experience planars.. Maybe the 5XX will not be the ideal experience? Probably not.. But anyway, I'll I guess I find out soon enough. Sundara will be following the 5XX soon.

Been following all the drama surrounding the 5XX and the Deva, as well. Has anyone checked this comparison out between the 5XX and the Deva drivers?

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...a-and-the-assumptions-behind-the-he5xx.10106/

Interesting findings.. if accurate.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #400 of 654
I just ordered the 5XX a few days ago, back on November 11th.. supposed to be shipped out this week on the 18th. This will be first planar magnetic headphones. I've been doing a lot of reading and watching reviews on the 5XX, and it's definitely a mixed bag of reviews. Not going to lie, I'm kind of having mixed feeling about the purchase even though I have not received them yet. At the same time, I am really looking forward to being able to experience planars.. Maybe the 5XX will not be the ideal experience? Probably not.. But anyway, I'll I guess I find out soon enough. Sundara will be following the 5XX soon.

Been following all the drama surrounding the 5XX and the Deva, as well. Has anyone checked this comparison out between the 5XX and the Deva drivers?

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...a-and-the-assumptions-behind-the-he5xx.10106/

Interesting findings.
If you just want a decent planar then they are a good option. Most complaints are because they are not HE500 based, and that they are black Devas. If you don’t care about that then they are ok.

Nov 15, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #401 of 654
If you just want a decent planar then they are a good option. Most complaints are because they are not HE500 based, and that they are black Devas. If you don’t care about that then they are ok.

Well, from the SuperBestAudioFriends link above, I would say more Deva-like then actual Deva.

Nov 15, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #402 of 654
Interesting findings.. if accurate.
Hard to draw conclusions when the measuring rig for the "HE5XX driver != Deva driver" assertion is a cobbled-together flat-plate coupler. Here's an example of one below:

rig-jpg.jpg

I'm not saying that they're all bad, but it probably isn't the right tool to make such conclusions especially against a well-calibrated GRAS measurement rig (the one used by Resolve, crin, oratory1990, others), an industry standard.

Nov 15, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #403 of 654
Hard to draw conclusions when the measuring rig for the "HE5XX driver != Deva driver" assertion is a cobbled-together flat-plate coupler. Here's an example of one below:

I'm not saying that they're all bad, but it probably isn't the right tool to make such conclusions especially against a well-calibrated GRAS measurement rig (the one used by Resolve, crin, oratory1990, others), an industry standard.
Yeah, there's yall's answer to where that 8k peak comes from.

That's a funny rig, I wonder if that face drawn to make it more like a human head. XD

See, unreliable rigs will put out peaks in random frequencies due to the characteristics of the rig, and it causes false impressions if one tries to read the response based on those measurements. One cannot reliably base what they hear based on those rigs. One shouldn't base what they HEAR from measurement results, but measurements to either confirm or find contradictory to what one have heard. It's not something one force that they heard is what is on the measurements. If one desires to put out accurate information for the readers, one must be careful to utilize most accurate data. Like anything in this world, you don't want to be responsible for spreading false info do you?

I've seen some crazy measurements put out by reviewers, and it is so obvious it's wrong, but the reviewer chose to believe the measurements.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #404 of 654
Removing all the Deva and HE500 talk, it sounds like these are generally (but not universally) considered an upgrade to the 4XX. That alone has me curious. Maybe if they're still around after Christmas. But the Elex has had my eye for awhile as well. Just thinking those might be overkill for my uses/budget though.

Nov 15, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #405 of 654
Yeah, there's yall's answer to where that 8k peak comes from.

That's a funny rig, I wonder if that face drawn to make it more like a human head. XD

See, unreliable rigs will put out peaks in random frequencies due to the characteristics of the rig, and it causes false impressions if one tries to read the response based on those measurements. One cannot reliably base what they hear based on those rigs. One shouldn't base what they HEAR from measurement results, but measurements to either confirm or find contradictory to what one have heard. It's not something one force that they heard is what is on the measurements. If one desires to put out accurate information for the readers, one must be careful to utilize most accurate data. Like anything in this world, you don't want to be responsible for spreading false info do you?

I've seen some crazy measurements put out by reviewers, and it is so obvious it's wrong, but the reviewer chose to believe the measurements.
That’s why people apply compensation curves to the RAW measurements. That’s also applied in the fancy-ass GRAS systems.
There’s people with money who buy GRAS and use it ‘as is’, and there’s people with lots of experience and knowledge who build their own flat couplers, draw faces on it and derive (and refine over many years) their own compensation based on their many years of experience with many headphones.

The graphs might not look as polished as the fancy-ass tools, but at least they are accompanied with the correct interpretations. That’s a LOT more helpful:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back