Drop x HiFiMAN HE-5XX
Nov 11, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #376 of 654
My initial impressions of the HE5XX (received on 11/11/20):

Dvegzvc.jpg

On the left, the HE-5XX, and on the right, the HE-500 (Audeze headband and velpads). Both were driven by 4-pin XLR connectors from the Cavalli CTH, Cavalli Liquid Platinum, Marantz MM7025, or the THX AAA 789 at various times during my initial listening session.

First things first. The box is rather spartan (no cloth material as shown in MLE’s review). Accordingly, this austere presentation resembles that of what Drop+Hifiman provided previously with the boxes from their previous collaborations (HE-4XX and the Edition XX).
kyhDQ82.jpg

However, this is what greeted me out of the box:
gPaN3jB.jpg

As you can see, one of the screws of the right button is exposed just from hanging the left cup. To fit my head, the cups have to spread farther apart, which further exposes the screw. It looks like that the right button is about to fail. Furthermore, the right button makes the right gimbal swivel considerably looser than the left gimbal.

What follows are my initial impressions of my newly arrived HE5XX to a friend (stream of consciousness):
  • Very cheap feeling, probably one of the cheapest feeling headphones that I’ve held in my hands (like Fischer-Price cheap feeling). Both the HE500 and the HD6XX feel much more substantial than the HE5XX. The upshot is that the HE5XX is light as feather, and with little to no clamp force, one should have no problems wearing it all day.
  • L/R indicators are not immediately discernable (later found written with dark text on dark background, see above pic) but one can tell which side is which from the cup angle.
  • There is indeed a chemical smell on the headband (definitely not new car, lol), but it isn’t strong nor does it fill my apartment with it. Maybe that is due to the pumpkin pie baking in the oven that's masking it :yum:
  • The HE5XX lacks the slam of the HE500, the former more on the softer side of things.
  • The slam of the HE5XX improves when driven from my Marantz (140WPC at 8ohms) but still noticeably trails that of the HE500 on the same amp.
  • The resolution/detail retrieval capabilities of the HE5XX trails that of the HE500, which is by no means a resolution monster.
  • There’s less body in the mids of the HE5XX than the HE500. When switching from the HE500 to the HE5XX, the mids sound thin and the upper mids and treble on the HE5XX are a little more peaky than the HE500 on Sun Kil Moon’s “Duk Koo Kim [YT]
  • Soundstage of the HE5XX is pretty nice
  • The CTH and LP add much needed body to the HE5XX
Later on, I found that the right connector on my HE5XX is becoming a little wonky.

I may add more later, or just ship them back to Drop due to QC issues…

EDIT: Couple of hours later, I smell the chemical odor from the HE5XX in my apartment (kind of almost towards burnt plastic smell but thankfully not as rancid) with the can sitting a few feet away from me.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #377 of 654
Just got mine as well but my HE-500's are loaned out since a few weeks so I can't compare for now. My memory is so good of them though that it's obvious these are just related by marketing. The HE-500 never sounded like this in 2012 when I got my first set and they never sounded like this at any point later. There's not any similarity or even an approximation. Forget that part.

Thankfully I kept my FAW Noir Hybrid HPC after selling the HEK SE so I am able to connect this one to various headphone amps that I own or have borrowed, so in short:

• generally the FR seems well balanced except for some peakiness in the upper mids, lower treble and the roll off down low. Compared to the 560S the treble is actually less troublesome.
  • unlike the HE-500 this does not push air at 10Hz at all (very faint) and is much weaker at 20Hz. 10hz or even 20Hz might not be THAT relevant for most genres but it shows how earlier this headphones rolls off compared to the HE-500.
  • Anyway, it rolls off before 20Hz and does not sustain as well and is not tactile, "pushing" like the HE-500. This will not give you HE-500 style slam and sustain.
  • spacious soundstage. Alright, this part is really nice. Staging is rather on the bigger side, spacious, airy and no "walled in" effect. Have to dig into this part further.
  • is softer than the HE-500 overall and overall less weighty sound.
  • mids are a far cry from the HE-500's magic, fullness but they at least fit the overall tuning scheme and apart from being thinner, less full or less "magical" I will evaluate them on their own merits

preliminary conclusion: If you want a HE-500, get a real HE-500.

The HE-5XX is definitely still interesting on its own, detached from the HE-500 relation so I will write more impressions sometime later.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #378 of 654
6C2F46DD-29F2-46AF-936D-0BB738981EB6.jpeg

Just received. Quick burn-in.

Doesn’t have the heft of 4XX which makes it feel kind of cheap, but lighter is better. Koss 95X looks/is plastic but is supremely comfortable. Bigger slightly vs 4XX, so “level up!” Mine do not have any signs of bad paint or parts coming undone. Didnt break in transport which I experienced with a 4XX, so “extra life!”

Nov 12, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #379 of 654
5XX sound neutral besides a treble spike. I hoped for a tad warmer sound, but 5XX is not like Sennheiser 6XX (modded), Grado Hemp, or Porta Pro which are all on the warm side. They too have their treble peaks, but an 8kHz spike as also seen in 400i and less so in 4XX seems to annoy me more than others. 5XX mod (previously posted) appears to relax this peak, so will mod right after some stock measurements. If that doesn't work out then I'll refund. Doesn't sound more resolving nor more exciting vs 6XX or even Hemp. No comment on bass yet, but doesn't strike me as the main attraction like upon first impression of 4XX which could be good and/or bad.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #380 of 654
5XX sound neutral besides a treble spike. I hoped for a tad warmer sound, but 5XX is not like Sennheiser 6XX (modded), Grado Hemp, or Porta Pro which are all on the warm side. They too have their treble peaks, but an 8kHz spike as also seen in 400i and less so in 4XX seems to annoy me more than others. 5XX mod (previously posted) appears to relax this peak, so will mod right after some stock measurements. If that doesn't work out then I'll refund. Doesn't sound more resolving nor more exciting vs 6XX or even Hemp. No comment on bass yet, but doesn't strike me as the main attraction like upon first impression of 4XX which could be good and/or bad.
I don't believe there is a peak at 8k. The measurements shows that it's relatively low level in that treble area. The emphasis peaks around 5-6k. You maybe hearing that emphasis.

If there was an 8k peak (at least with mine), the response will output more shimmer to metallic sounds. 5XX doesn't seem to sparkle like that.

I'm not too sure if the mod will relax it, but why not give it a shot. The mod doesn't seem that difficult.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #381 of 654
I don't believe there is a peak at 8k. The measurements shows that it's relatively low level in that treble area. The emphasis peaks around 5-6k. You maybe hearing that emphasis.

If there was an 8k peak (at least with mine), the response will output more shimmer to metallic sounds. 5XX doesn't seem to sparkle like that.

I'm not too sure if the mod will relax it, but why not give it a shot. The mod doesn't seem that difficult.

You might be right. Maybe it's not a 8kHz peak but that whole rise around 5-6kHz that's off putting. I remember the 8kHz peak in 400i and 4XX being more annoying/unpleasant than fatiguing. I found the 5XX fatiguing like some Beyer or Grado.

Nov 12, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #382 of 654

HFM's do ring, a simple FR chart won't show that. The CSD shows a bit of ringing at all frequencies (means lacking damping most likely), but the biggest one is at 7-8 kHz, which is where the FR charts I have looked indicates a peak at 7-8 kHz. Based on that I would start a narrow EQ in that area for down 4 db and see what that was like.

The 5XX does seem to have fans and applications - good.

But glad to see the latest negative reviews re: 5XX inspired by 500. People accusing me and others for being quick on the trigger for labeling that claim can now consider that indeed it was Marketing blarney all along. It's almost a cult item, best not to mess with cultists - thus says any Marketing 101 text.

Nov 12, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #383 of 654
You might be right. Maybe it's not a 8kHz peak but that whole rise around 5-6kHz that's off putting. I remember the 8kHz peak in 400i and 4XX being more annoying/unpleasant than fatiguing. I found the 5XX fatiguing like some Beyer or Grado.
I don't recall 4XX being so bright, but looking at the Drop measurement comparisons, I wouldn't be surprised as the higher treble seems more accentuated thsn with 5XX.

For some reason, the 4XX I heard was quite dull sounding in the highs and I don't understand why that was.

If you saw an 8k peak on a DSP Ears rig, I wouldn't take it seriously. They are inaccurate and can't be trusted that they express anywhere near how we hear.

I recommend you check to if the rig used is standardized like Rosolve's, Crinacle's, or Jude's for better accuracy or reliablity.

We all nedd to be careful with what measurement we look at. We need to look at the most accurate measurments. Ignore anything that isn't known to be accurate as they will instill false positives in people's minds. We all need to hear carfully and point out what we see in measurments that we do not hear or vice versa.

Important part of being objective is not being swayed by things like false measurements, but perceiving it for how it is. And questioning things that do not make sense.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #384 of 654
I checked for FR charts from: Rosolve's, Crinacle's (not listed), Rtings, and didn't see any. Jude was invoked in this thread twice but I don't see a chart. The 4 letter site had charts including CSD's. I think for any description of headphones the CSD (waterfall) is important since it describes ringing and decay. FR only can sometimes slightly indicate these things, but if you want the full story it's not enough. Planars are as a type the most prone to ringing, I wouldn't buy one w/o looking at the CSD first.

Of course the problem with some of these "new" standard measuring tools is the funky/ridiculous recommended EQ settings under 100 Hz. It's as if everyone lives in a square shaped room with soft walls. They can recommend all they like - probably 8 types of rooms with settings could be supplied to user experience/taste, but no, they just stick it out there - fine for bassheads. Ridiculous for classical or audiophile recordings/fans owning capable cans that play bass cleanly - worse for folks that know how to tune a room.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #385 of 654
I don't recall 4XX being so bright, but looking at the Drop measurement comparisons, I wouldn't be surprised as the higher treble seems more accentuated thsn with 5XX.

For some reason, the 4XX I heard was quite dull sounding in the highs and I don't understand why that was.

Mods: Ether Angled pads - more bass; less restrictive screens (less treble), felt and dynamat on back (bass more damped. possibly less treble), balanced cable - I think w/ your amp more damped and controlled overall.

And of course maybe its suffers from a lot of variation from norm.

Nov 13, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #386 of 654
4XX was not bright. It had a mild peak at 8kHz, but it also had a mild odd timbre some refer to as plasticky, or steely (when considering 8kHz). So traded Hifiman bass and open-ness for more natural treble and timbre of Sennheiser - though I found that experiment originally overall dissapointing until I modded.

I had pad rolled 4XX (zmf ori lamb) which fixed treble peakiness but the thicker and non-hybrid pads hurt that physical open-ness I really liked.

edit: Also CSD of 5XX is unusual and suspect as @bagwell359 mentioned.

edit: EARS is not great, but helpful with diy mods, and allows us commoners to compare which is fun. And enlightening to learn why they are flawed which Ive not gotten much into yet. I didnt know they had extra limitations until I recently purchased and started participating in EARS thread. So yeah, to your point I was misguided about EARS proficiencies which is why I bought. Still fun to share (within limited scope and community) and works as a headphone stand.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 7:32 AM Post #388 of 654
A part of me wanted to hate the DEXX - incidentally also the part of me that detests greed and false advertising...yet I have to admit that this granted somewhat slapdashed piece of an engineering mess sounds really good.
It feels about as insubstantial in the hand as a poorly built kid’s toy. Has that ‘rushed feel’ to the design with gaps and stuff rubbing up against each other that really shouldn’t be rubbing up against anything...yet when the headphone is on my head it feels secure and the stuff that didn’t align before suddenly disappear. Reminds me a bit of the Blackbird plane actually: raggedy and nearly falling apart sitting on the ground but oddly solid and nimble once in use.
The insubstantial feeling of this build is also very much a big part of this headphone’s crowning achievement, it’s comfort...because holy karate kid this just obliterates every other headphone I’ve ever worn. It’s mental! It genuinely feels as if this headphone specifically was designed with my cabeza in mind. Right outta the box it feels as an old pair of slippers...hell that doesn’t even seem to do it justice. It’s literally ‘gone’ the second after I place it on my head.
As for the sound? No it’s certainly not an HE500...but it straddles awfully close to the Sundara. It’s obvious this is a headphone tuned like the new Hifimans yet at the same time it’s also the headphone with the most presence in the mids that I personally have come across from Hifiman’s repertoire.
It doesn’t have the smooth and velvety midrange of the 500 nor does it exhibit the same gorgeous warmth..but it sounds more energetic and clear. Personally I’m quite happy about it NOT being an HE500..if it was I would never have bought one. I already own the OG:)
I’m thinking this is a keeper and genuinely hope the flimsy feel of it doesn’t translate into a short lifespan.
9E54946E-3A28-4AD5-8D98-3796E109D2EA.jpeg

Edith:
I made the classic mistake by only feeding it with brilliantly recorded albums!
...and then suddenly came across Can’s selftitled from 1979...which really isn’t a bad recording by any measure..it’s just a tad bright..and well via the DEXX it ended up sounding downright horrendous. Ouch!
After that it was as if my ears couldn’t escape the brightness/peakiness and now I hear this in most other recordings.
Yet somehow this headphone still gets my highest recommendation...if you’re a Beyerdynamic or Grado fan that is:)
Hell I know a lot of (generally) older folks who vehemently hate every planar magnetic headphone on the market because of the inherant recessed uppermids/low treble...and those guys (and gal actually!) will absolutely adore the DEXX and most likely end up building a small plinth in it’s honour.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #389 of 654
So DROP is literally selling us a reskined DEVA with worse headband and calling it HE5xx.
I am surprisingly ok with that as long they disclose the correct information to the consumer.
But heh, if half the American are ok with their president spreading lies 24/7. I am sure they are fine with little misinformation.
Sorry for bring politic into the discussion, the point I want to make here is aslong the headphone sounds fine, people are not gonna care what's its called.

Nov 14, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #390 of 654
Yes, it's the mids transitions the 5XX does better yhsn mosy previous stuff I've heard. Most past Hifimans had issue with presence region, including the Sundara. Even the 500 will have mid issues with the wrong pad as it's sensitive to pads. 5XX presence region doesn'r exhibit oddities with it's stock pads.

I think round design works as long as pads contour well to our heads will good angled pads that is univeral to different head shapes. Hfiman gotten the pads to fit better, but I think certain heads may have issues with fit. I will admit that the HEK/HEX cup shap does fit well to head shapes, although not a fan of the look of the shape.

This is a Deva driver, no doubt. So, don't expect a 500. Just keep an open mind that it's a different headphone and see if you like it or not. It's best to keep expectation not being 500. They were likely concerned that the Deva name wouldn't sell as well.

I don't get 'inspired by 500.' And it's obviously a marketting statement. They used the word 'inspired' to try to associate 500 without stating it is the 500.

Inspired by 500 makes no sense if Deva wasn't. Also, words like inspired is meaningless really.

A precise statment would have been, 'it's a Dev driver.' Lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back