Drop x HiFiMAN HE-5XX
Nov 9, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #347 of 654
So I got mine in today. And did an a/b/c comparison. He 5XX/400/400(light mod). The 5XX has more treble detail than both of my 400(original design with smc connector). It has comparable soundstage to the unmodded pair, the modded pair has more soundstage but no as holographic if that makes sense. The 5XX has more sub bass than both, but the both he 400 have more bass slam. I didn't notice a big difference in the mids between the three. I ran all three off of my monolith portable at - 16db and at 70 percent volume on my pc. Both he 400 were using the stock velour and my modded he 400 have the cloth on the grill removed. The he 5XX is different enough I might keep them. I have some time. I also have the m1060 and hd598 as other open backs.

Nov 9, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #348 of 654
For anyone still wondering if the HE5XX is the Deva, here are some measurements done on the GRAS 43AG:

Deva vs HE5XX new Channel.jpg

I also swapped the pads between the two to make sure. The pads are identical, just a different colour:
Pad Comparison 3.jpg

One thing I do want to note is that this HE5XX I have here (Josh's) has some noticeable channel imbalance going on, so I've just shown the left side here since it's most likely representative. The right side showed some different behavior for both bass and treble - I'll be sure to show both in my full review.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Nov 9, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #349 of 654
Interesting, it is the Deva! If we look at Drop's page, they decided to exclude Deva's measurements? I'm pretty sure they all knew. It's also so interesting how consistent these Hifimans measure. I just looked at Jude's measurements on Drop, and wow, I see the peaks and dips at the same positions! It's crazy.

I always suspected Hifiman to be consistent with their drivers, and this is the first time I'm actually seeing worthwhile comparison (not two crappy rigs used) to compare the consistancy.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #350 of 654
For anyone still wondering if the HE5XX is the Deva, here are some measurements done on the GRAS 43AG:

Deva vs HE5XX new Channel.jpg

I also swapped the pads between the two to make sure. The pads are identical, just a different colour:
Pad Comparison 3.jpg

One thing I do want to note is that this HE5XX I have here (Josh's) has some noticeable channel imbalance going on, so I've just shown the left side here since it's most likely representative. The right side showed some different behavior for both bass and treble - I'll be sure to show both in my full review.
I was among those skeptical and leaning to the idea that the HE-5XX is likely a re-tuned Deva, and it seems measurements (and some anecdotes posted here) are tilting on that notion (however 'unique' design the product manager said it was).

Nov 9, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #352 of 654
Does this mean that the HE-5XX would have all the pros and cons of the wired Deva?

Acoustically, yes. You may notice some differences in the headband. At the moment, the Deva is more comfortable to me, even though the mechanism feels more sturdy on the HE5XX - big head problems haha.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Nov 9, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #353 of 654
@crinacle provided FR plots of the Deva and the HE5XX (measured on different rigs) on the day of the HE5XX announcement that pointed to the Deva rather than the HE500 as being the true inspiration. Should have named it the HEDXX :wink:

If the HE5XX was announced as a retuned-Deva, I doubt news of that would have raised the hackles of community members.

Nov 9, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #354 of 654
@crinacle provided FR plots of the Deva and the HE5XX (measured on different rigs) on the day of the HE5XX announcement that pointed to the Deva rather than the HE500 as being the true inspiration. Should have named it the HEDXX :wink:

If the HE5XX was announced as a retuned-Deva, I doubt news of that would have raised the hackles of community members.

Yes but that's way less fun. Also, "inspired by the legendary HE500" sounds much more appealing than "inspired by the Deva". Maybe this is the long con - we're all talking about it haha.

Nov 9, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #355 of 654
@Resolve

Do you have 6XX/650/600 measurements on the same rig? I'd be interested in an overlap comparison to 5XX as 5XX is the first Hifiman I've seen tuned like that, looking like Senheiser HD6 series response. It's interesting how it's still spacious with such response.

I think if they cut that peak on the 5-6k, it will sound smoother with vocals.

Your current rig looks reliable, and I'm curous how your's and Crin's compare. It would interesting to see measurements of headphones you both measured to compare any inconsistancies between your rigs.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #356 of 654
@Resolve

Do you have 6XX/650/600 measurements on the same rig? I'd be interested in an overlap comparison to 5XX as 5XX is the first Hifiman I've seen tuned like that, looking like Senheiser HD6 series response. It's interesting how it's still spacious with such response.

I think if they cut that peak on the 5-6k, it will sound smoother with vocals.

Your current rig looks reliable, and I'm curous how your's and Crin's compare. It would interesting to see measurements of headphones you both measured to compare any inconsistancies between your rigs.

Crin and I are using the same rig. For the most part they should be similar if not the same, but there may be some differences due to A) unit variations/revisions, and B) he uses his on a mobile setup, while mine is fixed on my desk. But in general yeah we compare measurements regularly.... and that's not a euphemism :wink:.

As requested, here's the HE6XX. I do also have an HD650 here that's very slightly different in the upper mids/lower treble, but still within tolerances. The HD6XX is so common these days though that it should serve as a solid benchmark. If you're wondering what the target is, it's Harman OE 2013 for bass, and 2018 for mids and treble. So if you prefer the 2018 bass, just imagine the shelf a few dB higher.

Compared to HD6XX.jpg

Nov 9, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #357 of 654
Crin and I are using the same rig. For the most part they should be similar if not the same, but there may be some differences due to A) unit variations/revisions, and B) he uses his on a mobile setup, while mine is fixed on my desk. But in general yeah we compare measurements regularly.... and that's not a euphemism :wink:.

As requested, here's the HE6XX. I do also have an HD650 here that's very slightly different in the upper mids/lower treble, but still within tolerances. The HD6XX is so common these days though that it should serve as a solid benchmark. If you're wondering what the target is, it's Harman OE 2013 for bass, and 2018 for mids and treble. So if you prefer the 2018 bass, just imagine the shelf a few dB higher.

Compared to HD6XX.jpg
Wow that looks extremely similar, I thought 5XX would have a much stronger bass and sub-bass, but from the looks of it it's actually even lower.

Nov 9, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #358 of 654
Yes but that's way less fun. Also, "inspired by the legendary HE500" sounds much more appealing than "inspired by the Deva". Maybe this is the long con - we're all talking about it haha.
Lol, you may be onto something. I guess bad publicity is better than no publicity. In this case, it was a mixed message that engendered 15-20 pages of discussions just a few weeks prior to their release and met (or was close to) their initial sales mark of 500 by 11/6. Not bad for a bit of business.

Nov 9, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #359 of 654
Will my other hifiman cables work with these ear cups? I think I have a balanced cable that I not using with the 4xx right now.
Likely if your 4XX was the later revision that changed from the 2.5mm over to 3.5mm connectors. I purchased the earlier version of the 4XX before Drop dropped the "Mass" and use a balanced cable from Periapt. I'd be switching over sooner if my balanced 2.5mm cable was compatible. The 5XX appears to be a good value so I'll wait and see if other revisions or improvements come out on the model.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #360 of 654
mod to remove the bass roll of
So, I did the @takato14 mod, and listening to it now. I really can't tell much of a difference. Bass impact is pretty much the same as before, and I think that is of primary importance if looking for any improvement over the stock character of the 5XX. We need more impact!

I guess if subs are actually extended, I'd realize with a track that goes that deep, which isn't so common.

I want see somebody else with a measurement rig to do this mod with the blutack and see if their measurement will replicate Takato's result.

Because when I opened it up, I noticed that there isn't much of a gap to really be concerned IMO (I assumed the gap was large, but it isn't). Hifiman seem to have taken care of it with gasket of some sort that adhere's to that frame Takato shows.

Opening it up also tells me how clean it looks inside and how much precaution Hifiman has taken with this build. There's mesh like cover so that protects the driver, not just on the inside, but also on the other side under the grill. The build inside looks pretty good IMO. Perhaps Hifiman has simplified his design.

I know we all have seen some weirdness that people have posted images of Hifiman drivers in the past. This one is different.

While doing this mod I was sweating. lol. Why, because Hifiman build quality reputation. I was afraid the driver will not work after. lol. It still works happy to say.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back