Drop x HiFiMAN HE-5XX
Oct 30, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #136 of 654
So many people hung up on the naming and marketing. I personally don't care if this sounds like the original 500, I care how it sits compared to other options in the market place. So to me, I just want to know the following:
1 - is it worth $60 more than the 4xx
2 - why would someone prefer this over the 6xx
3 - why would someone prefer this over the Deva

Several reviews have addressed this points.
As far as the naming, no one believes the current Chevy Blazer is in anyway comparable to old blazers. It's just a bad name on their latest midsized suv. Same concept here. Bad name, but how's the product compared to the current market options. That's all that matters.

Oct 30, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #137 of 654
So many people hung up on the naming and marketing. I personally don't care if this sounds like the original 500, I care how it sits compared to other options in the market place. So to me, I just want to know the following:
1 - is it worth $60 more than the 4xx
2 - why would someone prefer this over the 6xx
3 - why would someone prefer this over the Deva

Several reviews have addressed this points.
As far as the naming, no one believes the current Chevy Blazer is in anyway comparable to old blazers. It's just a bad name on their latest midsized suv. Same concept here. Bad name, but how's the product compared to the current market options. That's all that matters.

As far as #2, it's quite a stark contrast, so I believe 6XX owners looking to supplement with a different sound signature, the 5XX is perfect for that. I think it makes an ideal combination.

I can't answer 1 or 3. Only owned the original 400, and haven't heard the Deva.

Oct 30, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #139 of 654
As far as #2, it's quite a stark contrast, so I believe 6XX owners looking to supplement with a different sound signature, the 5XX is perfect for that. I think it makes an ideal combination.

I can't answer 1 or 3. Only owned the original 400, and haven't heard the Deva.
I totally get that having both would be appealing to a lot of people. But I think the reviewer should always present why someone would want THIS one, and where to look if that doesn't sound appealing to them. I think you actually did that very well in your "Who it is for" section of your review. I particularly liked this line...
"What about a $500 headphone"? I'd still say no. The performance from both are fantastic, and fit different moods.
I think that speaks highly to the performance being presented by both options at this price point, as well as the stark contrast of both approaches. I also think it's an important consideration for those on the entry level of the hobby, many who may end up considering these based on the price point which is highly appealing especially compared to general consumer market leading options like Sony, Bose and Beats.

I personally sit in a smaller group of users that currently owns the 4xx, and I have been tempted by the 6xx. So now the question becomes "should I step up the hifiman line, which I know I enjoy" or "should I bring in the 6xx to offer a new sound?"
I have a feeling it's really no wrong answers here, which is a good thing.

Oct 30, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #140 of 654
I totally get that having both would be appealing to a lot of people. But I think the reviewer should always present why someone would want THIS one, and where to look if that doesn't sound appealing to them. I think you actually did that very well in your "Who it is for" section of your review. I particularly liked this line...

I think that speaks highly to the performance being presented by both options at this price point, as well as the stark contrast of both approaches. I also think it's an important consideration for those on the entry level of the hobby, many who may end up considering these based on the price point which is highly appealing especially compared to general consumer market leading options like Sony, Bose and Beats.

I personally sit in a smaller group of users that currently owns the 4xx, and I have been tempted by the 6xx. So now the question becomes "should I step up the hifiman line, which I know I enjoy" or "should I bring in the 6xx to offer a new sound?"
I have a feeling it's really no wrong answers here, which is a good thing.
I personally prefer a darker, warmer signature, so if I had to choose between a 5XX and 6XX, I'm gonna go for the 6XX, as its sound is close to ideal to my preferences. I know plenty of people who hate the 6XX sound signature, and for them I'd steer them towards the 5XX.

Really, they're too different to really compare them, IMHO. I think comparisons should mainly be made with what may sound closer to their sound, like say a DT880. In which case, I think the 5XX is my clear choice, IMHO.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #141 of 654
From what I've been reading, it's likely a rebadged Deva. I really have no idea how Deva performs. Do Deva and 5XX measure the same with identical effeciency. Deva was used with BT module and was pretty efficient to drive.

We got to consider the price-point these are at. $220. I hope the number 5 means it performs better than 4. Although 4XX was a unthinkable pricepoint for a planar, I didn't think the sound was worth it. Probably one of the worst I've heard.

If 5XX is reasobably good and better than 4XX, I say it's a good entry into mid-tier price territory to compete with 6XX. IMO, the sound should at least compete with 6XX, since 6XX is the benchmark at the pricepoint. Not saying sound should be similar, but it has to have it's own strengths to be comparable to 6XX at the pricepoint.

So, price should be in consideration, not if it sounds like 500. 500 goes for around $350 in the used market, and it's quite inefficient, and stock pads suck. It does have good bass impact and you can get good tuning with the right pads (extra money) and mods, and it's the next level benchmark.

It would indeed be cool if it was a much effcient to drive 500, but who knows as I've not heard it. It seems the naming convention has people's notice with the 5 numbering over the name Deva. Lol

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #142 of 654
From what I've been reading, it's likely a rebadged Deva. I really have no idea how Deva performs. Do Deva and 5XX measure the same with identical effeciency. Deva was used with BT module and was pretty efficient to drive.

We got to consider the price-point these are at. $220. I hope the number 5 means it performs better than 4. Although 4XX was a unthinkable pricepoint for a planar, I didn't think the sound was worth it. Probably one of the worst I've heard.

If 5XX is reasobably good and better than 4XX, I say it's a good entry into mid-tier price territory to compete with 6XX. IMO, the sound should at least compete with 6XX, since 6XX is the benchmark at the pricepoint. Not saying sound should be similar, but it has to have it's own strengths to be comparable to 6XX at the pricepoint.

So, price should be in consideration, not if it sounds like 500. 500 goes for around $350 in the used market, and it's quite inefficient, and stock pads suck. It does have good bass impact and you can get good tuning with the right pads (extra money) and mods, and it's the next level benchmark.

It would indeed be cool if it was a much effcient to drive 500, but who knows as I've not heard it. It seems the naming convention has people's notice with the 5 numbering over the name Deva. Lol
Which pads for the HE500 that you recommend I can order here in Holland? :D

Oct 30, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #143 of 654
Not sure HFM Marketing considered the reaction to the way it handled the 5XX.

You've got people who never heard/or care about the HE-500, and are playing in the price range of the 5XX.

You've got people who have heard or heard about the 500 in a positive way that are focusing in the 5XX where otherwise they may not have.

You've got the "show me" folks that know, and really like the 500, and worry that the one they own or might buy could fail from age - so anticipation of a "new" 500 is high.

The third group which is well in the minority might dampen the interest of the first two groups if they mostly give raspberries to the 5XX. That can only happen from folks that have no monetary interest and have access to both cans and write reviews.

I was at ground zero for the "remake" and marketing push for the HE-5se and HE-6se, both were aimed at less popular/common products (HE-5/HE-5LE or HE-6). The early reaction to the 5XX that is negative due to invocation of the name "HE-500"vs the fairly obvious physical differences is about 2x more that than the 5se and 6se combined - because in part the HE-500 sold a lot more units.

Probably HFM will gain sales due to invoking the 500. But just because the ends justify the means to them (additional currency), doesn't mean that HFM choices gibe with what fans of the HE-500 believe/hope for. In a world of lies we now live in, "moral behavior" is a thing of value to some of us.

Oct 30, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #144 of 654
Which pads for the HE500 that you recommend I can order here in Holland? :D
Most people recommend Mr Speakers angled, but I personally luv Hifiman velpads. Velour seems to be the proper choice with 500. Brings the bass impact out and upper-mids. Stock pads are uncomfortable and pelipads causes classic Hififimans to sound upper-mids recessed. Stock pads don't sound proper IMO, and people that luv HE500 uses the right pads, and/or did some moddin. It's unbeatable value if one gets the right tuning on it. Well, in terms of sound of course. We all know how old Hiifmans were like. Lol

Looking back, I attribute the high potential performance of classic Hifiman to the codesigner Mr He (notice Hifiman models labeled with HE?). Doesn'f sound like he's around anymore.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #145 of 654

Measurements like efficiency and physical layout show that they are dead ringers for each other. They do not have an identical FR to the Deva, but, they both have bass thats quite close to the HD-600 on transistors - meaning starts to fade around 100 Hz, -5 db at 35 Hz, and -10 db at 20 Hz. That is certainly not a match for the HE-500.

The FR between the two, and early reviews on the 5XX would indicate that the 5XX is better than the 4XX. Good, I think the 4XX is not good either.

Agreed, and they may in fact have pulled it off.

HE-500 prices have risen in the past 3 years, hard to find one under $400 now. The 5XX appears to be roughly 10 db more efficient, that;s an improvement over the 500.

So far there seems to be no good reason for invoking the HE-500 name/aura to sell this thing outside of additional sales. Honest hard working marketing at work, still a slimy move with no technical or physical similarity that has been pointed out yet, Reviews by people who haven't heard the 500 or have heard it and have financial interest in the success of the 5XX - do not carry any weight with me.

Oct 30, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #146 of 654
What you're talking about is ultimately a small number of people compared to the overall market for $200-300 headphones. This and the other site are basically echo chambers where a small number of users have their voices amplified to seem bigger than they are. I have no doubt that this will be a largely successful headphone for Drop and Hifiman in pure sales given the success of other Drop headphones like this on the market, regardless of the grumblings about the naming and marketing.

And I understand your frustration with this move by Hifiman given their history and your experience with the HE-500, definitely. I just think in a broader perspective this kind of marketing probably works for them.

I agree. Most consumers aren't to care about the naming, and they won't even get the HE-500 reference in Drop's marketing copy.

This negative attitude is not about the headphones. If people examine their reactions more closely, I expect that they will find it's a combination of outrage at how dare Drop and Hifiman sully the HE5 series name by introducing a lower model headphone with the HE5 label. And disappointment that it's not an evolved HE500.

Perfectly understandable as an initial reaction. But not the kind of thing that anyone should hold onto for any length of time. Best to move on and focus on evaluating the headphone's performance for what they are and what it means to the market for consumer choice. See this as one of those millions of crap things that marketers do that is an annoyance, but not one of those things that harms anyone. Don't give it much headspace. It's not worth it. Better to fill your head with music :slight_smile:

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #147 of 654
Reviews by people who haven't heard the 500 or have heard it and have financial interest in the success of the 5XX - do not carry any weight with me.

Uh, who has heard the 500 and has “a financial interest in the success of the 5XX?” 🧐

Oct 30, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #148 of 654
This negative attitude is not about the headphones. If people examine their reactions more closely, I expect that they will find it's a combination of outrage at how dare Drop and Hifiman sully the HE5 series name by introducing a lower model headphone with the HE5 label. And disappointment that it's not an evolved HE500.

That's quite obvious, and true.

You either don't know or left off:

HIFIMAN's historical handling of:

QC
HE5se
HE6se
HE-560 recent budget releases

I never cared much for the 560, so the reports of cheap later versions didn't bother me more than usual - just said "friggin HFM" to myself. I also own the HE5-LE, heard the HE-6 6 screw - so I went and bought the HE5se said to be a faithful remaking of the HE-5 (the 5se is so bad its the only HFM I ever sold), and the 6se which I have come to respect/enjoy but its no HE-6 - not close physically or audibly. Of course $699 for a $1799 list phone helps.

So I'm "over" the 5XX enough that I won't buy one, although I would like to hear one. And will continue to watch my favorite headphone maker, and view every piece of marketing from them with a full measure of doubt and distrust. The test for me going forward will be to winnow the:

* truth telling reviewers
* the never hate anything folks
* the ones getting considerations/SPIFF's (aka money or goods) for a good review.

I WANT HFM to succeed. The Susvara is the best non estat I've ever heard. The HEKse is also great, Arya very nice. Not a huge fan of the Ananda, but big deal its probably the best can at its price point. I just wish I could lower the defenses on their marketing.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #149 of 654
Uh, who has heard the 500 and has “a financial interest in the success of the 5XX?” 🧐

Sorry - its people who have not heard the HE-500 OR people who have a financial interest. Look above I just posted a bit more on that.

Oct 30, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #150 of 654
Most people recommend Mr Speakers angled, but I personally luv Hifiman velpads. Velour seems to be the proper choice with 500. Brings the bass impact out and upper-mids. Stock pads are uncomfortable and pelipads causes classic Hififimans to sound upper-mids recessed. Stock pads don't sound proper IMO, and people that luv HE500 uses the right pads, and/or did some moddin. It's unbeatable value if one gets the right tuning on it. Well, in terms of sound of course. We all know how old Hiifmans were like. Lol

Looking back, I attribute the high potential performance of classic Hifiman to the codesigner Mr He (notice Hifiman models labeled with HE?). Doesn'f sound like he's around anymore.
But wait aren't the Hifiman velpads the stock ones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back