Drop x HiFiMAN HE-5XX
Oct 28, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #106 of 654
My HE-500 is fully stock and while I've no real interest in owning another pair of headphones (already have an excess pair arriving this week...), I'm dang tempted to try these just for the comparison.

Oct 28, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #107 of 654
@bagwell359 and I have been beating the drum for a HE500 rerelease for awhile now but I have to disagree with bagwell here.
Given that Hifiman is all in with their "nanometer" diaphragms, I think the ship has sailed for any HE500 rerelease. Us HE-500 fans should probably put this idea to bed. Besides, the person supposedly behind the sound of the old HE series, Bin Wu "Winny" He (source), does not appear to be involved with Hifiman much at all anymore (health issues according to Fang Bian in 2018)--I recall rumors that Mr. He left Hifiman and started doing speakers. Since the old HE series (I haven't listened to the HE-560, it may have started with that one), Hifiman has veered towards a more ethereal sound signature, which is fine since I enjoy the Arya's immensely. Still, I continue to reach for the dynamic and punchy sound of the HE-500 and HE-6 from the old HE-series quite often.

As for the HE5XX, I would be interested to see a three-way comparison between it, the HE-500, and Deva (wired). I just think that Drop+Hifiman's attempt at hitching the HE5XX to the HE-500 wagon has left a bad taste to some of us here. I wouldn't have batted an eye if this collaboration was titled "DevX."

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #109 of 654
Not having heard the HE500 doesn't invalidate someones impression of the HE5XX anymore than not having heard the HE1000v1 invalidates someones impressions of the Arya.
HFM conjured up the name "HE-500". They were giddy in mentioning that the HE-5XX is lighter and more efficient than the HE-500. I noticed that they didn't mention the FR of both cans which shows the HE-5XX as soundly inferior to the HE-500. If HFM or a reviewer wants to talk about how its "faster", or the other traits they mentioned vs the original, then they have to either have evidence or reviews using the stock HE-500, or get ready to be examined and criticized. DId you read my comparison of the two in physical terms? If you agree that physical traits largely dictate sound, then you must concur that they are not similar in technical terms, and HFM has again like the HE-6se and HE-5se tried to peddle a marketing POV that is NOT supported by the physical facts, and quite likely the overall audio 500 vs 5XX.

We may as well cool it with the flag burning seeing as:

1) It looks like a proprietary earpad clip system not the old plastic rings like the HE500. Everyone that has an HE500 has swapped the pads for something else; some people have Audeze Vegan pads, others ZMF pads and still more use Mr Speaker pads. Even if the drivers were exactly the same, not being able to put the pads YOU know best on YOUR HE500 ruins the comparison. (For reference my HE500's sound drastical different with my Eikon suede perfs than they do with the TH900 perfs I had on before)

False. I know at least 3 people that use either one of the original pads. The drivers are vastly different - have you looked at the pics on the other site. The 5XX is dead ringer for the Deva.

2) I know for a fact that Bagwells HE500 are drastically modded and don't sound like they did stock to begin with; they also don't sound like mine. It's already hard enough to make good apples to apples comparisons between HE500s that its almost useless to throw in other headphones. At best a stock HE500 compared to these would only tell us some of the tuning changes, minus mods to improve the originals.

Outside of the fuzzor mod, all my mods are easily reversed and if I ever have my hands on a 5XX I will remove the fuzzor too.

3) The physical housing differences in the first place. If someone were to take the 5XX drivers and stick them in the 4XX body we'd be closer but otherwise forget about it.

Well a round cup vs an oval one would make for problems in changing - that's just one of many ways that they are not the same physically.

[QUOTE}4) Its way more efficient and that has always affected the way headphones sound.

That's a point I've been making.

Going solely by the descriptions given we can probably guess that the HE5XX does not sound like the the originals. That's not a bad thing at all; us diehard HE500 stans can cry together in the HE500 thread. For everyone who isn't married to the HE500, wait for a comparison to other headphones you know or buy a pair; at $220 its unlikely that Hifiman made a dud.
This is an entry level headphone, the original HE500 was *imo* a king killer, just let this one shine on its own.

Sorry, if its not the 500 or near the 500 why do you defend HFM's Marketing lifting or referencing the name for no technical reason? It's deceptive if not worse. Just call it the HE-CD1 (corded Deva 1).

HFM is known long term for not caring about QA (inception-very recently), selling large quantities of perhaps inferior cans (HE5se and 560) to a discount seller. Used a former product (HE-6 and HE-5) -> HE6se and HE5se that CLEARLY are very different physically and very different (5se) and well different (6se).

New Coke cost Coca Cola billions of dollars. HFM isn't nearly that big. Accepting incorrect information from a vendor no matter how technically brilliant will just encourage them to play this game again. I wrote up the differences in the HE-6 and HE-6se quite similar to what I wrote about the 500 vs the 5XX. I was ONLY able to make a complete comparison because I have the HE-6se and had been loaned the HE-6 for 3 weeks shortly before. So, it does help to be well versed with both cans in this case - since HFM chose to invoke the name.

Oct 28, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #110 of 654
As for the HE5XX, I would be interested to see a three-way comparison between it, the HE-500, and Deva (wired). I just think that Drop+Hifiman's attempt at hitching the HE5XX on the HE-500 wagon has left a bad taste to some of us here. I wouldn't have batted an eye if this collaboration was titled "DevX."

Ding! Ding! Give the man a cigar. I never even read a review on the Deva until yesterday, and that would still be true if the 5XX was called the "DevX".

Oct 28, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #111 of 654
Just ordered the today based on reviews. I have the 4xx and edition x v2 and really glad to see this is a different signature. Think I may have to order a new amp now........

I have both of those. I would wager that the 5XX will better the 4XX. The HEX v2 needs help - raise the cups to exact mid ear, get some grown up cables, even DIY copper is better, and without EQ help, its soft and doesnt deliver much dynamics - but its very relaxed. Yeah the 5XX won't crowd either of those. Tell us what you think.

Oct 29, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #112 of 654
Boy oh boy Hifiman's marketing is really peak attention grabbing recently - first the R10 now my favorite can as well.

I would agree with most comments from Hifiman owners here, I hate their marketing strategy in making it seem as though the HE-500 is being revived - only for indications to point it to being a re-tuned + re-coated Deva. At this point it's moot to be even getting hopeful for the HE-500 being produced again and being angry + disappointed at how this Drop collaboration was marketed. It is what it is - Hifiman does what they want in marketing their headphones.

I look forward to more findings of others comparing it to the current market offering, and a comparison from others who own the OG HE-500 like me besides just the FR comparison.

Oct 29, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #114 of 654
Not sure why people are blaming HFM for this name scheme. Seems more to be a Drop thing.
I would say both, but more with the manufacturer cause this is their brand.

And we had the issue with previous "re-releases" even without Drop/Massdrop in the picture. By now, we should have an idea who we are dealing with.

What is sad is that I would pay double for the real HE500. Even with the extra weight.

Oct 29, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #115 of 654
Not sure why people are blaming HFM for this name scheme. Seems more to be a Drop thing.
You might have misunderstood - most people who are voicing their opinions are pointing to the consistent reference of the HE-500 throughout the Drop page, not solely because of the naming of "HE-5XX". If it was named like that and their marketing page didn't mention the old HE-500 at all, it would have been received differently.

Further, this is not the first time Hifiman in general has referenced a legacy headphone - a few examples are HE-5se (HE-5), HE-6se (HE-6), HE-4XX (not sure but I think it's the HE-4**i series, HEXX (Edition X I believe), HE-R10 (Sony's MDR-R10), and now HE-5XX (HE-500). You would notice the trend as only 3 of these are Massdrop/Drop collaborations, so it is not unreasonable to point majority of the blame for this marketing strategy to be on Hifiman's table.

Oct 29, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #116 of 654
Sorry, if its not the 500 or near the 500 why do you defend HFM's Marketing lifting or referencing the name for no technical reason? It's deceptive if not worse. Just call it the HE-CD1 (corded Deva 1).

HFM is known long term for not caring about QA (inception-very recently), selling large quantities of perhaps inferior cans (HE5se and 560) to a discount seller. Used a former product (HE-6 and HE-5) -> HE6se and HE5se that CLEARLY are very different physically and very different (5se) and well different (6se).

New Coke cost Coca Cola billions of dollars. HFM isn't nearly that big. Accepting incorrect information from a vendor no matter how technically brilliant will just encourage them to play this game again. I wrote up the differences in the HE-6 and HE-6se quite similar to what I wrote about the 500 vs the 5XX. I was ONLY able to make a complete comparison because I have the HE-6se and had been loaned the HE-6 for 3 weeks shortly before. So, it does help to be well versed with both cans in this case - since HFM chose to invoke the name.
I wasn't defending HFM's terrible marketing or build quality; there's a reason why I only defend them on sonics.

The HE560 was marketed as an upgrade from the HE500 (hence the name), it's Fang's company and if he wants to use the name recognition and lore of his previous work to ship out large quantities of lesser items that's his destruction by his own hand. From the price point alone we can tell that its not aimed at the same buying segment that the original was meant for. Maybe he wants to cannibalize some of the used sales by competing at a lower point, but the reality is that its Fangs choice to ruin his companies reputation through an R10 knock off and a non-HE500 HE500 headphone.
@Mad Lust Envy pointed out that they have never heard the HE500 but that they enjoy this nonetheless; I suspect that in 20 or so pages when its mostly the people looking for entry level planars who bought this talking it about you and I won't be talking about this at all. Why? Because we aren't the target audience.
Based on price alone we know this is a lesser headphone than the Ananda and we both agreed that the HE500 was better than the Ananda. What's the point in being upset that Fang wants to name drop his previous work ad nauseam?

Oct 29, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #118 of 654
DMS review up, he likes it, recommends it, says he contacted Drop about the obvious similarities to Deva, and they said they were unaware of its similarity and were contacting HiFiMAN about that... the plot thickens 😂

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #119 of 654
I mean...it probably isn’t as odd seeing as Hifiman’s attempt at convincing folks about the pros of an extremely open headphone for commuting didn’t end up in a massive succes...so why not use all of those Deva drivers/cups for something Drop related...perhaps slap a legendary name on it like the HE5XX and watch the dineros flow through the door:wink:

Oct 29, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #120 of 654
I mean...it probably isn’t as odd seeing as Hifiman’s attempt at convincing folks about the pros of an extremely open headphone for commuting didn’t end up in a massive succes...so why not use all of those Deva drivers/cups for something Drop related...perhaps slap a legendary name on it like the HE5XX and watch the dineros flow through the door:wink:

Yeah, and outside of the impotent rage of a handful of HE-500 owners or previous owners, it makes much more sense from a marketing perspective to tie it to a well received headphone from the past vs one that seemingly hasn't been a big success for them and doesn't have good name recognition. I can understand if people might find that approach a bit sleazy and dishonest on Hifiman's part (and maybe Drop as well), but they care more about making money than what a handful of people on head-fi think of them

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back