Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
May 8, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #616 of 1,383
yes looking at the measuments looks like it's bright.
With right filter and tips (I am using Final E tips) the treble can be well tamed and you end up with a very crisp and clean sound. Definitely not warm, but not piercing bright. A nice change from some IEMs and headphones that are muddy from bass leaking into the mids.

May 8, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #617 of 1,383
The curve as a whole is actually quite smooth, and not very peaky, but the 4K region can sound more prominent than it looks on this graph. It is, however, quite sensitive to ear tip selection. I like the Final Audio Type E tips. IMO, this is actually a pretty neutral sounding monitor. Well balanced.

CD535836-2F5B-42F4-BC61-C3E01F29E295.jpeg

May 8, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #621 of 1,383
wondering why drop sold so little of the Fd01 but sold 1k Fdx1?

wouldn't it be a much better deal to buy Fd01 and do the mod basically it's a less than $5 dollar mod.
It’s not quite as precise as the manufactured damped nozzles of the FDX1. For me, I’d be happy with the FD01, b/c after trying a lot of different combinations, I ultimately settled on using the bare nozzles, but applying a mod similar to micropore tape. That, along with the Final E tips, dampens that 4KHz peak while it seems to leave the upper treble “air” relatively untouched. I didn’t like how much the damped nozzles affected the upper treble frequencies.

I don’t have equipment to measure and graph the freq response, but I am curious how the graph would look, compared to what I perceive.

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #622 of 1,383

wouldn't it be a much better deal to buy Fd01 and do the mod basically it's a less than $5 dollar mod.
During 2018-2019, the FD01 was unavailable in US except by ordering from overseas for typically around $350. Drop introduced the FDX1 in September at $250 so it was a good price and sold out. Drop didn't offer the discounted FD01 until later. It made sense to choose the FDX1 at the time, but not so much now with the new FD01 price from Drop.

May 9, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #623 of 1,383

I agree with the last two posts. According to the graphs I've seen, the mod is very close to the FDX1, but it seems to dampen the very high frequencies a touch more. How much you perceive this is variable, and it could he a pro or con, depending on how you look at it. I actually did a version of the James mod on my bare nozzle, but using a thinner piece (5mm VS 6mm) of equal the length of his shortest recommended (12mm-16mm is the range he recommends, and settled on 13 and 15... Mine are 5x12mm) piece, and I am indeed happy with it. I have spiral dots in that filter, and azla sedna on the green. Final E Tips are on the blue, for the rare occasion I use these for hip hop (normally I use my T4 for that).

Anyway, this got to be long winded, but the draw of the FDX1 NOT mentioned is that, I think people looked at the FD01,whether consciously or not, as a prototype to the FDX1,and believed that the FDX1 would have any flaws in the FD01 addressed by buying the newer FDX1.

May 9, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #625 of 1,383
Thank you all for the input. Just placed the order for Fd01.

Will play with the mod once got a listen to it.
And you will have 3 nozzles to tune in different ways.

May 9, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #626 of 1,383
Thank you all for the input. Just placed the order for Fd01.

Will play with the mod once got a listen to it.
Awesome. You'll enjoy them. :) I almost wish I had the Fd01 so that I didn't have the blue nozzle... I hardly ever use it. I don't want to mess with it though, in case for some reason I ever wanted/needed to sell them.

May 9, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #628 of 1,383
Awesome. You'll enjoy them. :) I almost wish I had the Fd01 so that I didn't have the blue nozzle... I hardly ever use it. I don't want to mess with it though, in case for some reason I ever wanted/needed to sell them.

I may ended up buying the FW01 as well..never had any wood IEM before.

so for the Fdx1, what material is the filler in the two nozzle that's filled? on seems white and one seems black?

and seems like you prefer your own mod on the bare nozzle than the other two?

May 10, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #629 of 1,383
Yes I thought that the fd01 came with 3 different type of metal is actually a plus. From else where I read that most people prefer the brass nozzle.
Sonically, the 3 nozzles are virtually identical, and it is reflected in measurements. It was a lost opportunity for JVC to create nozzles with genuinely different tunings.

HdkuHJz.jpg

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #630 of 1,383
I may ended up buying the FW01 as well..never had any wood IEM before.

so for the Fdx1, what material is the filler in the two nozzle that's filled? on seems white and one seems black?

and seems like you prefer your own mod on the bare nozzle than the other two?
Did anyone ever figure that out? AFAIK it's still mystery JVC material.

I'd caution about the FW01- hard to recommend, unless you are after its particular peculiar sound signature, especially if you have the FD01.
The thicker FD01 mod and eq in some midbass you're not too far away (or arguably better off- I dont' personally care for thicker mod, but then I don't like FW01 either*) I'm not sure the wood is contributing much but haven't done a close comparison.

(*for me FW01 is a jekyll & hyde IEM- there are some pleasant qualities to it, the bass has a nice feel- for low volume listening it can be an enjoyable & dark sound, the next moment it's a weird combo of blunt but shrill, undetailed and claustrophobic- remember the fx850 fondly but perhaps through rose tinted ears)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back