Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
May 7, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #601 of 1,383
Sorry for this silly question but I damaged the tip came with this although there are other set of tips but those don’t provide good seal to me. Any idea where can I order the new pair of tips?

May 7, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #602 of 1,383
Sorry for this silly question but I damaged the tip came with this although there are other set of tips but those don’t provide good seal to me. Any idea where can I order the new pair of tips?
As I find the FDX1 to be a bit bright I use either the Final E tips (Amazon, Audio46) and Symbio MandarinEs tips (https://symbioeartips.com/) as these have a bit narrower bore. The Sedna (Amazon) tips also will give good seal, but with a wide bore they will bring out the treble more, if you find that’s what you are looking for.

May 7, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #603 of 1,383
The regular ones, although I’m sure the short ones would work great too.
I just got my Sednas today, and the short version is indeed great for the FDX1. I'm impressed by their sound quality, and I like their rigidity in the core, which allows me to do my hybrid foam tip mod without worrying about the core getting squished upon insertion like with the dots+.

I do, however, find myself wondering how much softer the earfit lights are, and how much different they sound, as they aren't quite as comfy as the dots+ (which isn't really a fair fight). All in all, color me happily surprised.

May 7, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #604 of 1,383
I just got my Sednas today, and the short version is indeed great for the FDX1. I'm impressed by their sound quality, and I like their rigidity in the core, which allows me to do my hybrid foam tip mod without worrying about the core getting squished upon insertion like with the dots+.

I do, however, find myself wondering how much softer the earfit lights are, and how much different they sound, as they aren't quite as comfy as the dots+ (which isn't really a fair fight). All in all, color me happily surprised.

Glad they’re working out for you. I have both the regular Earfits, and the Lights (both regular, not short). It may just be me, but I really can’t tell much of a difference between them. The silicone on the Lights doesn’t seem significantly softer, and they do keep their shape well. Again, this is just me, and many others may disagree.

May 7, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #605 of 1,383
Glad they’re working out for you. I have both the regular Earfits, and the Lights (both regular, not short). It may just be me, but I really can’t tell much of a difference between them. The silicone on the Lights doesn’t seem significantly softer, and they do keep their shape well. Again, this is just me, and many others may disagree.
Might give the lights a go. And the longer ones, just to compare. I got the shorts initially because I was thinking of putting them on my T4s too but I decided to keep the Final E Tips on them because I use them mainly for hip hop and on the go. They've got a pretty similar signature to the FDX1 so, in retrospect, it makes more sense to keep the bassier E Tips for the sake of versatility. Plus, the E Tips are SO COMFORTABLE IT'S RIDICULOUS, and they do really well with the foam (I have a very odd left ear canal, which is why I foam mod all my silicones).

May 7, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #606 of 1,383
Depending on the sound you're going for, I suggest either the final e tips (which you can get in a variety pack but, luckily, their sizes are actually the same as the Spiral Dots so you can use whatever size you used in those) for a little bassier sound, or the Sedna Earfit (any style seems to work) which keeps the spiral dot sound profile but sounds a little sharper to my ears.

May 7, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #608 of 1,383
just recently got back into IEM's now.

currently got the IE800 and Ultimate Ear TF10, would Fdx1 or Fw01 better for the next pair?
FDX1 by a landslide. The only issue is, they aren't currently available. You'd have to either find a used pair (I have a second pair that might be up for sale soon, actually...) or get an Fd01 and do the filter mod yourself (which is extremely easy and produces results very close to the FDX1, which it should because they are the same thing.)

May 8, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #609 of 1,383
just recently got back into IEM's now.

currently got the IE800 and Ultimate Ear TF10, would Fdx1 or Fw01 better for the next pair?
As much as I love the JVC FD series IEMs, in the end only you can know that.
FDX1 (or modded FD01 or FD02) are balanced with a smooth sound, nice sub-bass rumble, slightly lean but good mid bass/lower mids, good emphasis on upper mids and a liquid and smooth, shimmery treble (not sparkly)
They have more emphasis and a smoother frequency response above 1kHz compared to the ie800, have good clarity and detail but not the most precise imaging or biggest soundstage.
Most of all, they are hugely musical, and I forget about the technicalities. I have (much) more expensive IEMs and the JVC's are still getting a LOT of listening time.
I would not recommend them if you like a warm sound, a flat signature, like aggressive, sparkly treble, a strong V-shape or are a technicalities junkie :wink:
And be prepared to work on the fit, they are quite comfortable but it took me almost a year to settle on the best tips.

FW01 is a totally different beast- I never heard them but they are said to sound dark, but very good with reproduction of wood instruments.

May 8, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #610 of 1,383
FDX1 by a landslide. The only issue is, they aren't currently available. You'd have to either find a used pair (I have a second pair that might be up for sale soon, actually...) or get an Fd01 and do the filter mod yourself (which is extremely easy and produces results very close to the FDX1, which it should because they are the same thing.)

I mean I am not in a hurry, i think maybe drop will have FDX1 for sale again sometime in the near future again?

Is the FDX1 normally go for $280 now? Fd01 is selling for $225 now. Does it justify the cost difference to do the mod myself and get the same result for less the price difference?

Other than the filter mod there is no other difference?

thanks.

May 8, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #611 of 1,383
As much as I love the JVC FD series IEMs, in the end only you can know that.
FDX1 (or modded FD01 or FD02) are balanced with a smooth sound, nice sub-bass rumble, slightly lean but good mid bass/lower mids, good emphasis on upper mids and a liquid and smooth, shimmery treble (not sparkly)
They have more emphasis and a smoother frequency response above 1kHz compared to the ie800, have good clarity and detail but not the most precise imaging or biggest soundstage.
Most of all, they are hugely musical, and I forget about the technicalities. I have (much) more expensive IEMs and the JVC's are still getting a LOT of listening time.
I would not recommend them if you like a warm sound, a flat signature, like aggressive, sparkly treble, a strong V-shape or are a technicalities junkie :wink:
And be prepared to work on the fit, they are quite comfortable but it took me almost a year to settle on the best tips.

FW01 is a totally different beast- I never heard them but they are said to sound dark, but very good with reproduction of wood instruments.

I find it the IE800 maybe better for classical music, which I do listen to them a lot with the IE800.

The TF10 I find it's very heavy on the bass, which I heard the FDX1 is heavy on bass too?

Between the FW01 and the FDX1 I am hoping to pick the one that's a little held back on the treble and with warmer sound, similar to HD650 I would say, which I tend to enjoy on Asian pop music. If it is a little more on the bright side it's ok, just not sharp, piecing treble..

May 8, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #612 of 1,383
I mean I am not in a hurry, i think maybe drop will have FDX1 for sale again sometime in the near future again?

Is the FDX1 normally go for $280 now? Fd01 is selling for $225 now. Does it justify the cost difference to do the mod myself and get the same result for less the price difference?

Other than the filter mod there is no other difference?

thanks.
AFAIK, the only differences between the FD01 and the FDX1 are the filters and the FDX1's lack of notches on the edge of its housing. I personally have the FDX1 but have been tempted to try and see if there's a difference with the same filters by buying an FD01. If there is a difference, I would guess it's pretty slight, and the people who have modded FD01s all seem to praise it to the same extent the FDX1 gets.

May 8, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #613 of 1,383
I find it the IE800 maybe better for classical music, which I do listen to them a lot with the IE800.

The TF10 I find it's very heavy on the bass, which I heard the FDX1 is heavy on bass too?

Between the FW01 and the FDX1 I am hoping to pick the one that's a little held back on the treble and with warmer sound, similar to HD650 I would say, which I tend to enjoy on Asian pop music. If it is a little more on the bright side it's ok, just not sharp, piecing treble..

I haven’t heard the FW01, but most people say it’s quite bassy and warm. The FDX1 doesn’t have sharp, piercing treble, but the upper mids are quite pronounced, around 4KHz, so choice of tuning and tips are really important to prevent them from sounding very “shouty”. The bass on the FDX1 is deep and can be tactile, but is not pronounced. Definitely not a very bassy IEM. Overall, it leans more towards a thin, clinical sound. I often describe it as having BA detail and resolution, with DD bass and DD timbre. It doesn’t really sound like an HD650.

May 8, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #614 of 1,383
AFAIK, the only differences between the FD01 and the FDX1 are the filters and the FDX1's lack of notches on the edge of its housing. I personally have the FDX1 but have been tempted to try and see if there's a difference with the same filters by buying an FD01. If there is a difference, I would guess it's pretty slight, and the people who have modded FD01s all seem to praise it to the same extent the FDX1 gets.

reading the comments from drop, looks like it may take a while to get fdx1, the previous orders has not even be delivered yet.

May 8, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #615 of 1,383
I haven’t heard the FW01, but most people say it’s quite bassy and warm. The FDX1 doesn’t have sharp, piercing treble, but the upper mids are quite pronounced, around 4KHz, so choice of tuning and tips are really important to prevent them from sounding very “shouty”. The bass on the FDX1 is deep and can be tactile, but is not pronounced. Definitely not a very bassy IEM. Overall, it leans more towards a thin, clinical sound. I often describe it as having BA detail and resolution, with DD bass and DD timbre. It doesn’t really sound like an HD650.

yes looking at the measuments looks like it's bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back