Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
Dec 12, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #256 of 1,383
Don't know about anyone else. But according to FEDEX, they have not yet received the package... Believe that DROP just printed some FEDEX Labels on the 10th... Still awaiting actual shipment.

Seems to be the case. The email did say expect shipping by the end of the week and we aren't quite there yet, so, oh well. Though I have been checking that tracking pretty often.

Dec 12, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #259 of 1,383
Boo you guys. Still haven't seen any movement yet for mine in the FedEx tracking. I am close-ish to NJ and was hoping I might see them this week. Doesnt seem likely. Oh well, a few extra days isn't too bad, and drop does seem to have gotten them out a bit earlier than originally planned anyways.

Dec 16, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #261 of 1,383
Just received mine. Compared with my beloved DM6's, the DM6's are the party girl, the FDX1's are the beautiful lady that you want to have a chat over a glass of wine. Better in the DM6's: Details (maybe the FDX1's need some burn-in?) and highs, better in the FDX1's: Control, imaging and definitively soundstage. Both IEM's are complementary.

upload_2019-12-16_16-56-36.jpeg

upload_2019-12-16_16-57-7.jpeg

upload_2019-12-16_16-57-32.jpeg

upload_2019-12-16_16-57-50.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-16_16-56-11.jpeg
    upload_2019-12-16_16-56-11.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 0
Dec 16, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #262 of 1,383
So in the final version, the green nozzle is the one with more acoustic material. I thought that swap was going to be an isolated case but all people who already got their FDX1 are reporting the same thing. Probably just a miscommunication issue anyway.

Dec 16, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #264 of 1,383
Just received mine. Compared with my beloved DM6's, the DM6's are the party girl, the FDX1's are the beautiful lady that you want to have a chat over a glass of wine. Better in the DM6's: Details (maybe the FDX1's need some burn-in?) and highs, better in the FDX1's: Control, imaging and definitively soundstage. Both IEM's are complementary.

It’s not that the FDX1 needs burn-in. It’s that a neutral treble response is inevitably going to sound neutral. The DM6 has exaggerated, peaky mid-treble that makes it sound artificially sharp, a textbook example of fake detail in a V-shaped IEM.

Dec 17, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #266 of 1,383
Just got mine in and so far, these are pretty decent. I can't help but keep comparing them to the Atlas since they are my fave DD IEM.

Wish the JVC had a bit more oomph in the low end, and don't really love that extra energy around 2-4k hz. Coming off the Atlas, the JVC sound pretty forward and small. Very much in your face and little presence of anything around you or individual instruments. I get a strong feeling of someone singing directly into the mic. But, I guess depending on what you listen to, you may enjoy this. For dense tracks, this becomes more obvious and almost sounds like you're listening in a tunnel as everything is just focused right between your eyes.

Ergonomics are a bit weird. They want to keep trying to worm their way out of my ears. I also think they're heavier than the Atlas. While I don't enjoy wearing them down as much, they wear over the ear better than the Atlas does. The JVC reminds me of the Pinnacle P1/PX in this regard.

Also, not loving the stock tips and no foamies were provided. The stock carrying case is also quite small and you can't fit all your accessories and the IEM due to the card the accessories live on.

My nozzles for green and blue were also switched but you can easily see which has more material so not a biggie.

Overall, I do like these. I'd probably like them more if I didn't have the Atlas. But, the more I listen to the JVC the more I keep thinking that is rather be listening to the Atlas.

Just my . 02 cents and initial impressions.

Dec 17, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #267 of 1,383
Just got mine in and so far, these are pretty decent. I can't help but keep comparing them to the Atlas since they are my fave DD IEM.

Wish the JVC had a bit more oomph in the low end, and don't really love that extra energy around 2-4k hz. Coming off the Atlas, the JVC sound pretty forward and small. Very much in your face and little presence of anything around you or individual instruments. I get a strong feeling of someone singing directly into the mic. But, I guess depending on what you listen to, you may enjoy this. For dense tracks, this becomes more obvious and almost sounds like you're listening in a tunnel as everything is just focused right between your eyes.

Ergonomics are a bit weird. They want to keep trying to worm their way out of my ears. I also think they're heavier than the Atlas. While I don't enjoy wearing them down as much, they wear over the ear better than the Atlas does. The JVC reminds me of the Pinnacle P1/PX in this regard.

Also, not loving the stock tips and no foamies were provided. The stock carrying case is also quite small and you can't fit all your accessories and the IEM due to the card the accessories live on.

My nozzles for green and blue were also switched but you can easily see which has more material so not a biggie.

Overall, I do like these. I'd probably like them more if I didn't have the Atlas. But, the more I listen to the JVC the more I keep thinking that is rather be listening to the Atlas.

Just my . 02 cents and initial impressions.
Q: Worth paying >$1000 more for the Atlas?

Dec 18, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #268 of 1,383
I personally believe in the diminishing returns points... I might be able to pay a lot of money for a 10% improvement in SQ, but why? That is just me.

I did some cable swap to balanced and tip rolling to one level up to the ones that came installed and these are great. Using the blue filter now. BTW, do not recommend cable hooks on your cable.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #269 of 1,383

In my opinion, yeah. The Atlas is technically superior and has a sense of resolution and staging. It also comes with a nice silver litz cable, leather carrying case, and better spread of accessories. The Atlas is also built better and for me, is ergonomically comfier when wearing down.

That, and nothing delivers such a big, meaty sound like the Atlas while still keeping some air and sparkle up top. It's a smooth IEM, with a heaping dose of sub bass that will shake your eyeballs. No exaggeration. It honestly just sounds more balanced overall to the JVC that is tamer in the lows and more boosted in the upper mids and lower treble. The more I listen to them, the more it sticks out and bothers me. They're a bit too genre specific for me so far. The Atlas is pretty genre agnostic and surprisingly sounds great with classical and metal. I use mine daily so I'm sure being used to their sound is a big part of it, but comparing side by side to the JVC, the shortcomings of the new unit sticks out more as I just notice things I typically enjoy missing. Again, if I didn't have the Atlas, I'm sure I'd be just fine with the JVC. It's still a nice sounding unit, just brighter than I like and short on resolution and stage size.

So, for me, if you can swing the Atlas, it's the superior IEM. I still have not come. Across a DD IEM which beats them and makes me want to upgrade. They just do so many things right without nuisances.

Dec 18, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #270 of 1,383
Got mine in this morning. Had a brief listen with them.

As for the discussion about it vs the atlas, well I dont have a ton of time with them yet, so hard to say. But, first impressions are that the fdx1 is a much more balanced sound overall than the atlas. Atlas is big in every way. Big bass, big mids, big treble. Whereas the fdx1 definitely feels more tame. To some that might be preferable, so who knows.

The cable on the atlas is also much more premium, but having owned it for quite some time, the cable has stiffened up significantly, and kind of retains shape now, so mileage will vary over the long run in my opinion. Hard to say how the fdx1 cable will fare, though I do like it from first impressions.

Whether its worth the huge difference in price is going to be up to everyone individually. I will spend some time with the fdx1 today so I can form some more solid opinions about it and how it compares. But either way, looking forward to getting some time with them finally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back