Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
Dec 25, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #362 of 1,383
I disagree with the burn in statement only because I could hear how good the bass was with the stock filters from the first track I played. Ymmv. I don't have a $100 Litz copper cable, but the nicehck cable my toneking's were on were darker but less detailed which I didn't like overall.

These JVC's make my toneking's sound confused and clumsy, even using the Jvc cable. Slightly damped (blue but supposed to be green) filter is definitely going to be my go to, it's not ideal for cellos and string bass but for most everything else acoustic it has an effortless sound that is appropriate.

This iem gets so many things right, I can't believe I paid $250. I'm getting detail I never hear from my CTH /topping d70 just out of my es100. It's not for everyone but it's an amazing value.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2019 at 2:45 AM Post #363 of 1,383
I’m loving the detail that I hear, I also wish the soundstage was more spacious though. Bass is there. It’s not bass lite at all, it could be more refined?

Could anyone recommend a place to buy JVC Spirals?

Dec 25, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #364 of 1,383
I’m loving the detail that I hear, I also wish the soundstage was more spacious though. Bass is there. It’s not bass lite at all, it could be more refined?

Could anyone recommend a place to buy JVC Spirals?
It comes with the iem

Dec 25, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #365 of 1,383
I disagree with the burn in statement only because I could hear how good the bass was with the stock filters from the first track I played. Ymmv. I don't have a $100 Litz copper cable, but the nicehck cable my toneking's were on were darker but less detailed which I didn't like overall.

These JVC's make my toneking's sound confused and clumsy, even using the Jvc cable. Slightly damped (blue but supposed to be green) filter is definitely going to be my go to, it's not ideal for cellos and string bass but for most everything else acoustic it has an effortless sound that is appropriate.

This iem gets so many things right, I can't believe I paid $250, I'm getting detail I never hear from my CT/topping d70 just out of my es100. It's not for everyone but it's an amazing value.
The sounds will get better with burn in. Burn in works for dynamic iem like jvc

Dec 25, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #366 of 1,383
Is the MMCX connector on the JVC deeper than the standard ones? I have an Effect Audio cable and it sits really shallow and loose on the connector.

Edit: NVM, just realized the connector is made for Shure/Westones

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #367 of 1,383
The sounds will get better with burn in. Burn in works for dynamic iem like jvc
Ya even drop has suggested 48hrs of burn in at low volume

Dec 25, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #368 of 1,383
Lets not start a burn in debate. It is not what it is about here. Whatever you guys do for your iems is up to you. You are the owner of them so that again is up to you.
Glad your enjoying them! How do you like them compared to your ath ckr 10, It01s and isn h40? Also a link to the cable would be most appreciated.

All 3 of the phones you mentioned will have more coloration to the sound. FDX1 is more closer to a neutral tuning than all 3. I am a fan of all sorts of different sounds so it will depend on what your sound preference here is. Last neutralish tuning I got phone wise was the MD PX which I still own.

I think having a phone like the FDX1 is good to have as it will be a good reference point for balanced tunings with accuracy in mind. All 3 phones will have more sparkle to the highs. Bass will be more emphasized. In the H40 the mids will have more forwardness with that BA timbre and imaging. Each phone has more emphasis on one part or all 3 parts of sound but otherwise more colored like I was saying. The FDX1 is one of the best neutral phones I have ever owned. Way better than phones like the old Vsonic GR07 or Sony EX600 for example. If neutrality is not your thing. Than your not going to be a fan.

For me instead of EQing. I just listen to something else if I want more bass. Lol. That is just me. As per the cable it is not too expensive it is the ISN H-16 https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-h16.html The SPC version of this cable is also really nice on the FDX1. The H-16 gives a bit of warmth to the bass mids and retains that treble detail. The S-16 https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-s16.html is for guys that want more emphasis on detail than warmth to their sonics. Both cables add fullness to the overall tuning to the FXD1. Both are excellent on it preferably in balanced.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #369 of 1,383
Lets not start a burn in debate. It is not what it is about here. Whatever you guys do for your iems is up to you. You are the owner of them so that again is up to you.

All 3 of the phones you mentioned will have more coloration to the sound. FDX1 is more closer to a neutral tuning than all 3. I am a fan of all sorts of different sounds so it will depend on what your sound preference here is. Last neutralish tuning I got phone wise was the MD PX which I still own.

I think having a phone like the FDX1 is good to have as it will be a good reference point for balanced tunings with accuracy in mind. All 3 phones will have more sparkle to the highs. Bass will be more emphasized. In the H40 the mids will have more forwardness with that BA timbre and imaging. Each phone has more emphasis on one part or all 3 parts of sound but otherwise more colored like I was saying. The FDX1 is one of the best neutral phones I have ever owned. Way better than phones like the old Vsonic GR07 or Sony EX600 for example. If neutrality is not your thing. Than your not going to be a fan.

For me instead of EQing. I just listen to something else if I want more bass. Lol. That is just me. As per the cable it is not too expensive it is the ISN H-16 https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-h16.html The SPC version of this cable is also really nice on the FDX1. The H-16 gives a bit of warmth to the bass mids and retains that treble detail. The S-16 https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-s16.html is for guys that want more emphasis on detail than warmth to their sonics. Both cables add fullness to the overall tuning to the FXD1. Both are excellent on it preferably in balanced.
Much appreciated for this response!

Dec 25, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #370 of 1,383
The shout out to the vsonic gr07 brings back memories, I remember owning the bass edition a couple years ago, it was still sibilant though! Things have come a long way, cheap audio doesn't equal compromises anymore.

Edit: for the record I believe in burn in, I just wanted to be clear that I didn't experience the same thing that you did!

Dec 25, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #371 of 1,383
Quantity of the bass is roughly the same from out of the box. .For me it was the sub bass texture that greatly improved. I tested a bass track out of the box and then again after burn in for 2 days. The difference was clearly evident for me. Unless you test out sub bass like I did most will probably not notice. I also notice the sound opening up a touch meaning it sounds more spacious to me now. But again YMMV.

Dec 25, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #372 of 1,383

I don’t think stating the manufacturer’s recommendation is “starting a debate”. It’s only a debate if someone comes in and says you’re wrong for whatever reason. Of course it’s up to the owner to do with their IEMs what they will. Sure, sometimes we can fool ourselves because our hearing isn’t always at 100%, but the only one in a position to figure that out is the listener themself.

But simply sharing their first-hand experience with the community at large is *by definition* not a debate. Not to go too far off topic here, but this is one of those things that I really hate about the growing toxicity in this community. Regardless of which side you might agree with on any given topic, anyone who tells you that you shouldn’t trust your own ears, or that they know better than you what you like, is the one picking fights.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #374 of 1,383
Is the blue or green filter supposed to provide greater dampening?

It was supposed to be the blue, but it appears that its been swapped on the production model, so the greens have higher levels of damping. Seems to be the case for everyone who has received them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back