Driving Sextetts?
May 30, 2011 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Callous

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm moving off to college and can't take my headphone setup with me; I have in my possession right now a pair of Sextetts, but nothing to drive them. Any suggestions? I have to keep it under $150~ though, preferably.

Alternatively, I might be looking to get rid of the Sextetts and get a more portable setup for college... thinking Westone 2/3 or HD25-I-II right now. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

May 30, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #2 of 5
A capable vintage amplifier/receiver with a clean headphone out can work miracles for little money. If you have DIY-skills you can even build and maintain your own audio gear.

May 30, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 5
Interesting... I've been checking out a lot of garage sales recently, but nothing has come up. Also, does anyone know of a nice desktop amp/DAC combo for cheap? Something like the total airhead... except with a tube or two. Maybe a larger solid state amp? I swear I've seen things of the sort around here.

Thanks!

May 31, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #4 of 5
check local craigslist and i highly suggest you keep the sextetts if in perfect condition cause nothing has the midrange like the sextetts lp. simply godlike when your driving them with enough power and highly scalable compared to any new akg line-up. they can be bright as well with a bright recording so they can be very transparent and be great all-rounds with a dedicated eq band. they're also not in production anymore which is another reason you should keep them.

check local craigslist for some vintage amps if you want to. you can tie in a dac between the amp and whatever source your using if you want. you get the benefits as well with great phono stages for turntables for desktop set-up if you want. you can even get lucky at local goodwills sometimes and at local flea market/trading posts.

Dec 4, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #5 of 5
can anyone help me?  i need to know if a pair of sextetts i have coming in the mail will work plugged into my Mbox, my iPad, and my sound devices 702T recorder.

i have read they sound best when driven with a nice pre-amp, but can i also use it plugged into my computer etc.. ?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back