Driving HD555
Aug 10, 2010 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

josecanseco

New Head-Fier
Hello all

I'm fairly new to this whole thing. I've lurked a while, trying to absorb all I can. About two weeks ago I decided to pickup some HD555's and I've been pretty happy with them.

My question is: I know that they don't necessarily need to be driven as the higher-end models do (like the HD650's), so how much of a difference would an amp alone make? Should I invest in a DAC instead?

Budget really isn't an issue as I'm recently poor due to tuition.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 10, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 4
Getting an amp or dac just for your hd555 wouldn't be a wise purchase. People say that they improve slightly with amplification but others say no. 

What that tells me is that if it does help the sound it must be so slight that it couldn't be worth the $$$. 

Now, it might be worth it if you were planning on upgrading your Cans in the near future. Just my 2 cents.

Aug 10, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 4
Only worth it if you are getting better cans in future, as mentioned.

Aug 10, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 4

Quote:

What that tells me is that if it does help the sound it must be so slight that it couldn't be worth the $$$. 

Now, it might be worth it if you were planning on upgrading your Cans in the near future. Just my 2 cents.

I agree...you will be fine with your current setup, better save your money for a better upgrade. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back