Dream Earz aud-5X Custom IEM Review: Pure Value @ $565 - Also the appreciation thread!
Feb 2, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #466 of 597
Quote:
Well after over a month, I finally got my 7X back today. I originally sent them back to just get the left monitor re-shelled, but Mitch said he didn't like the right one either so he re-did both of them. And boy am I glad he did, because the fit is spot on.

Won't comment on the sound just yet as I still need to get acquainted and log some hours. I'll most likely write up a review after midterms when I get some more time. 

Can you comment on the sound now?

Quote:
After abt 1 mth plus with my 8x, I'm really starting to like the sound of the 8x! Though I mentioned that it was previously bass light, now the bass has opened up abit and it's just nice. It really is a neutral IEM.

And the 8x is very good with EQ, added a little more bass on my E17 and the bass comes out nicely and it doesn't affect the rest of the frequency spectrum.

Also, previously I mentioned about fit issues, but it was very very minor, I'm comfortable with the fit now!

Looking forward to Joe's review and any others who have gone for the 8x as well!

Bass light?  Which driver configuration do you have and what IEMs/CIEMs/headphones are you using for comparison?

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #467 of 597
I have spoken to Mitch and he mentioned two driver configurations for the x8. Can anyone report their x8 config and how they sound? I'm deciding to order mine soon and towards the mid centric versions... Mitch mentioned about Joe is gonna write a review about x8 and i'm looking forward to it. :) Thanks!

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #468 of 597
My configuration is 2 dual lows, 1 dual mids, 1 high and 1 super high, the high and super high is being channeled into the TWFK. And I asked Mitch to actually custom tune mine to a specific Frequency response, which is supposed to be the flattest possible for IEMs and also to prevent phasing out as well.

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #470 of 597
Xings, I'm also looking for a flat response ciems, maybe a little forward mids, snappy n non boomy bass together with good extentended trebles. Do you think an x8 with your config would do the job? I have just sold um miracle for its distant and slight recessed mids not my cup of tea...

Can u further describe your x8? Especially the mids position, warmth and thickness.

Thanks!

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #471 of 597
Quote:

Can you comment on the sound now?

Yeah, this is a PM I sent EveTan about the 7X. They sound a lot like how you described the 5X, maybe just more proficient across the board?:

(warning: this is pretty much my first time trying to describe sound, so be easy on me)

The bass is strong and deep, and a tad boosted which lends to overall warmer sound. However, I'm really floored at the dynamic capability. Reading reviews of ciems, I continuously see people mentioning how they can adjust based on what the track demands. So if it calls for hard hitting, tight, punchy bass, it's there. And the opposite with thinner tracks. Notes are on the thicker side of neutral, but decay still sounds natural and accurately portrayed.

The mids are so so sweet. A little forward, but vocals still sound natural, like you're standing up on stage next to the singer. Which may not be the most natural presentation, but I love my vocals and mids, so this is a plus for me. Detail is there, but it's not an Ety ER4 in this department. Enough to satisfy and just get lost in the music, without overanalyzing microdetails (that's why I ordered the V6). 
**after I said that, I tried out some more technical songs like Rodrigo y Gabriela's Hanuman and the 7X handled it with ease. It's like they're super detailed, but it's not the cold/analytical detailed that I'm used to from my experiences with Etymotic, and Heir 4.Ai to some extent. It's just warm and enjoyable.

Highs are never sibilant, rolling off before they get too hot. Never harsh or fatiguing. I don't find myself yearning for more, nor cringing from too much.
Soundstage isn't massive, but I feel like a better source will open them up. I've only listened out of my Clip+ and NFB12 so far, and the NFB 12 opened them up quite a bit. So I can't wait til I get a better player.

It seems to me like Heir 8.A and ES5 had a love child (based on what i've read of the two here)

and here are a few pics (unambitious design I know, but I wanted something simple):

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #472 of 597
I must say though— while the inner part of my monitors fits perfectly and provides amazing isolation, they kinda stick out of my ears and look a bit awkward. I thought ciems would be more flush to my ear.

Feb 2, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #473 of 597
Quote:
Yeah, this is a PM I sent EveTan about the 7X. They sound a lot like how you described the 5X, maybe just more proficient across the board?:

(warning: this is pretty much my first time trying to describe sound, so be easy on me)

The bass is strong and deep, and a tad boosted which lends to overall warmer sound. However, I'm really floored at the dynamic capability. Reading reviews of ciems, I continuously see people mentioning how they can adjust based on what the track demands. So if it calls for hard hitting, tight, punchy bass, it's there. And the opposite with thinner tracks. Notes are on the thicker side of neutral, but decay still sounds natural and accurately portrayed.

The mids are so so sweet. A little forward, but vocals still sound natural, like you're standing up on stage next to the singer. Which may not be the most natural presentation, but I love my vocals and mids, so this is a plus for me. Detail is there, but it's not an Ety ER4 in this department. Enough to satisfy and just get lost in the music, without overanalyzing microdetails (that's why I ordered the V6). 
**after I said that, I tried out some more technical songs like Rodrigo y Gabriela's Hanuman and the 7X handled it with ease. It's like they're super detailed, but it's not the cold/analytical detailed that I'm used to from my experiences with Etymotic, and Heir 4.Ai to some extent. It's just warm and enjoyable.

Highs are never sibilant, rolling off before they get too hot. Never harsh or fatiguing. I don't find myself yearning for more, nor cringing from too much.
Soundstage isn't massive, but I feel like a better source will open them up. I've only listened out of my Clip+ and NFB12 so far, and the NFB 12 opened them up quite a bit. So I can't wait til I get a better player.

It seems to me like Heir 8.A and ES5 had a love child (based on what i've read of the two here)

and here are a few pics (unambitious design I know, but I wanted something simple):

Wow, that faceplate, looks interesting. Never seen a faceplate with that deep of a groove. 
Quote:
I must say though— while the inner part of my monitors fits perfectly and provides amazing isolation, they kinda stick out of my ears and look a bit awkward. I thought ciems would be more flush to my ear.

Maybe they needed more room for all the drivers to fit? Can you still sleep on your side with them?

Feb 2, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #474 of 597
Yeah, Mitch originally had the logo filled in, but this time he decided not to and I actually really like it.

You're probably right, because my ears are pretty darn small, so they probably needed the extra depth to fit everything. Can kinda sleep on my side but it's uncomfortable.  

Feb 2, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #475 of 597
@redaxis I think the mids are just nice the way they are. I would say they are slightly forward, but it's not so forward til it sticks out among the other frequencies.

For warmth and thickness, I think it varies and is dependent on the track. I heard some vocal tracks with them and the voices sounded really nice through the 8x.

But I think you should also wait for Joe's review on his version of the 8x, his driver configurations sounds pretty awesome too! Heard from Mitch that he's also giving it a similar tuning as mine, so till Joe's review is out, I think it'd be wiser to wait it out before you decide :)

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #476 of 597
Nice impression on the 7X, anoxy.. quite similar to how I hear them.. I should have my pair back from Mitch soon.. then, my (long overdue) impressions to follow.

Feb 3, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #477 of 597
Quote:

Depends on the manufacturer.  I am surprised that the majority of my CIEMs stick out of my ears at least a bit.

Quote:

Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
@redaxis I think the mids are just nice the way they are. I would say they are slightly forward, but it's not so forward til it sticks out among the other frequencies.

For warmth and thickness, I think it varies and is dependent on the track. I heard some vocal tracks with them and the voices sounded really nice through the 8x.

But I think you should also wait for Joe's review on his version of the 8x, his driver configurations sounds pretty awesome too! Heard from Mitch that he's also giving it a similar tuning as mine, so till Joe's review is out, I think it'd be wiser to wait it out before you decide
smily_headphones1.gif

It may take me a while, so feel free to post your thoughts.

Feb 3, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #478 of 597
Average_joe, how the AUD-5X sound through your iMod paired with furutech stride (in comparison to the other amps you mentioned)? 

Feb 3, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #480 of 597
Quote:
Average_joe, how the AUD-5X sound through your iMod paired with furutech stride (in comparison to the other amps you mentioned)? 

I will check that out in the near future.  Typically, the Cruise (Stride) has a more punchy/fast presentation that is very dynamic, but the negative usually is hiss.  That amp would be amazing if it didn't have the hiss!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back