Dream Earz aud-5X Custom IEM Review: Pure Value @ $565 - Also the appreciation thread!
Feb 3, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #481 of 597
My ears must not be sensitive enough to detect this hiss people always speak of. Is it while the music is playing or what? Maybe I'm just not actively listening for it.

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #482 of 597
Quote:
Average_joe, how the AUD-5X sound through your iMod paired with furutech stride (in comparison to the other amps you mentioned)? 

Several amps added to the source matching section of the review in the first post, including the Cruise.

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #483 of 597
Quote:

Several amps added to the source matching section of the review in the first post, including the Cruise.

Thanks for that. I wonder if they'll address issue on the next amp. Interesting that you don't notice it anoxy!

I decided not to risk it in the end and instead replaced my long serving TTVJ Slim with a 2Stepdance.

I have to say, I far prefer the AUD-5X through the Stepdance. I'm hearing superior transparency and clarity, with greater resolution (particularly treble) and refinement. Down low there simply is no contest... the 2Stepdance really gets those bass (and sub-bass driver) moving! Depth, power, texture and control are all noticeably enhanced.

One issue I had with the TTVJ and AUD-5X pairing was that the Slim accentuated the AUD-5X thickness of note, leading to moments of congestion on faster or more complex songs. The 2Stepdance not only resolved this, but brought the above enhancements to the table.

Of course, others may find the TTVJ Slim + AUD-5X pairing to be a good one... after all, a large chunk of my music is fast and rather 'busy'.

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #484 of 597
Nope, I finally notice the hiss on my Sansa Clip+. I guess I just wasn't listening for it before, or maybe it's because of my new 64GB sd card....idk. 

Also, it's funny. I don't appreciate how great the 7X truly sounds until I switch back to something like the ASG-1 and just cringe.

Feb 20, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #485 of 597
Yesterday, I got my DreamEarz AUD-7X back from Mitch.. we had been working through some technical issues (channel imbalance) & fitment adjustments (I needed to get new impressions & request a fresh remold).. so that's why I've been pretty silent.  Mitch went to work on it and made resolved everything.  The fit is just perfect.  As good, if not better than my (now sold) Heir 4.A.  Mitch was awesome and very accommodating through it all.  A+ customer service & communication throughout.

I'll have more thoughts (and hopefully, a formal review) on their sound in the next few days.. but after just a day or so with them, I'm very happy and impressed with them.  The signature reminds me of the HD650, BA200, & XBA-30 (this is a very good thing in my book!).. the 7X is, obviously, more technically capable than most of those phones, though.  The 7X is slightly midcentric, but neither the bass or treble feels lacking in the slightest.  A smooth, slightly warm sound.. bass is phenomenal.. mids are smooth, detailed, and very engaging.. treble is crisp, airy, and balances its presence quite well with the mids and bass.  The treble is detailed and sparkly but not so much as to fatigue.  I really like the cohesion of this phone's signature.. it's not dead neutral.. but it possesses an 'artful' approach to neutrality.

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #486 of 597
Yesterday, I got my DreamEarz AUD-7X back from Mitch.. we had been working through some technical issues (channel imbalance) & fitment adjustments (I needed to get new impressions & request a fresh remold).. so that's why I've been pretty silent.  Mitch went to work on it and made resolved everything.  The fit is just perfect.  As good, if not better than my (now sold) Heir 4.A.  Mitch was awesome and very accommodating through it all.  A+ customer service & communication throughout.

I'll have more thoughts (and hopefully, a formal review) on their sound in the next few days.. but after just a day or so with them, I'm very happy and impressed with them.  The signature reminds me of the HD650, BA200, & XBA-30 (this is a very good thing in my book!).. the 7X is, obviously, more technically capable than most of those phones, though.  The 7X is slightly midcentric, but neither the bass or treble feels lacking in the slightest.  A smooth, slightly warm sound.. bass is phenomenal.. mids are smooth, detailed, and very engaging.. treble is crisp, airy, and balances its presence quite well with the mids and bass.  The treble is detailed and sparkly but not so much as to fatigue.  I really like the cohesion of this phone's signature.. it's not dead neutral.. but it possesses an 'artful' approach to neutrality.

Have been waiting for this. Looking forward to your review!

Feb 21, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #487 of 597
Quote:

Almost exactly as I'm hearing them as well, nice impressions. I do wish the fit on mine was a bit deeper though, and that they would be more flush with my ears. But I don't really want to bug Mitch again after waiting so long for him to re-shell them the first time. 

Feb 21, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #488 of 597
Originally Posted by anoxy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Almost exactly as I'm hearing them as well, nice impressions. I do wish the fit on mine was a bit deeper though, and that they would be more flush with my ears. But I don't really want to bug Mitch again after waiting so long for him to re-shell them the first time. 

I've owned a few customs in my time here and one thing I've learned is that, initially after insertion,  they're actually supposed to have a (very) slightly loose fit.  I use the "twist to lock" method to insert.  I know the immediate inclination is to shove 'em in and push hard to get them to seal immediately.. but after doing that in the past (with other customs), not getting an adequate seal, and thinking I needed a refit.. I learned that your the tissue around/in your ear warms up in a few minutes and "bonds" around the custom's bowl & stem.  I'm not sure if there's anything scientific behind this but that's been my personal experience.  I found that constantly pushing on the 'center' of the IEM's face plate to (forcefully improve) the fit, more often than not, leads to fit issues and lack of an effective seal, even pain in the long run.

That being said, an abnormally short stem can be a hassle and cause the seal tends to break with even the slightest movements (I know.. since my Miracles had an annoyingly short stem & an excessively deep bowl).

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #489 of 597
Yeah I'm on board with everything you just said. I find that if I just shove them in from the center, a pocket of uncomfortable air pressure forms inside my ear and causes discomfort as well as muffled sound. That, and they lose seal more easily. The one thing that bugs me about CIEMs is that it seems like my ears change slightly on different days, or different times of the day, depending on inflammation, if I've eaten or am fasting, etc. So I will have a perfect seal sometimes and a not so perfect seal others. 

Feb 27, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #490 of 597
I thought I'd update and provide a mini-review of the 7X, now that I've owned it for two months.

First off, sorry, no pics. Also, I'm probably not too precise with my official head-fi glossary lingo.

The 7X has everything I was worried I wouldn't get from a BA configuration, having spent my recent time with single dynamic drivers. The notes have weight, presence, thickness, and the bass drivers (one big woofer, one dual-driver) can actually move air. When I was told the 7X would be very capable in the low-end, I translated that as meaning "for BA's." 

The bass is just straight up capable. It punches, it sustains, it moves air. It does so in a way that I think could be described as audiophile-style bass emphasis. I can't imagine being disappointed when listening to tracks that shine on those sort of headphones. I love listening to electronic stuff on the 7X (e.g. I'm listening to new-school stuff like Grimes, Emika, TRUST, Austra, Chromatics, etc. a lot.)

The mids are forward and thick, if you ask me. That said, there's really no air or grain to speak of in the mid presentation, and that's one thing I found myself missing from the GR07. They're liquid smooth. Also, very recording-dependent. I think that's just a part of them being high-end -- basically all high-end audio equipment isn't forgiving of ****ty recording/engineering/mastering. But, in a good recording, with vocals front and center without too much mid-bass, the 7X shines.

Highs are where I could use some more. I'd like more detail there, more sparkle. Simply more presence. They're not absent, however. It's just that the focus of the 7X's sound isn't the treble, so it shouldn't be your focus if you're considering it. That said, if you're agnostic on those frequencies, I can't imagine being disappointed.

Summary: I think if you're looking for tasteful bass emphasis, the 7X is a smart choice. It can deliver on the full spectrum, isn't some cheap, v-shaped presentation, and for most any recordings across any genre, it sounds terrific.

But... for me, I decided my ears wanted something more neutral. I didn't think the 7X would deliver the goods I was looking for (note thickness, bass punch) as well as it's done. I consider that praise for the 7X and Mitch, and simply a matter of taste on my end. I've sent in my 7X and will be switching to the 8X. Hope to have them back in a couple weeks.

I think we'll all learn a lot more from average_joe's review than me about the 8X, but basically, the 8X is the 6X with an extra TWFK which is on a different cross than the first TWFK (necessitating the jump from 3-way crossover on the 6X to 4-way for the 8X). So it goes, dual low, dual mid, dual high, dual ultra-high, each receiving its own signal. Since I was looking at lab costs whether I went "down" to the 6X or "up" to the 8X, I figure go whole-hog, just like my decision between 5X and 7X.

A note on Mitch and DRM Earz: nothing but praise. Mitch tried to steer me towards the 6X when I first made my order, but I took my own advice instead. I doubt I'd be moving the 8X if I had got the 6X to start, meaning I think Mitch is good at pairing people with his products (grain of salt: can't personally vouch for the 6X/8X signature yet).

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #491 of 597
Nice impressions. Sounds like the 8X will be your cup of tea. 

As for me, looks like I'll be sending my 7X back in for another re-fit. After getting my 1964ears V6, I realized just how awful the fit is on my 7X, especially how they don't sit flush inside my ears. Really disappointed, but such is life I guess.

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #492 of 597
@nothingman.. those are terrific impressions.  I might as well scrap my review as your post practically mirrors mine.

If you value deep, luscious bass, slightly forward mids that are smooth & thick (more the former than the latter, though), mids that are very much in the mold of the 'Westone" sound.. and clean, laid back treble that complements the focus of the presentation, the mids and bass, the 7X are an excellent choice.  One other thing, I found the soundstage and imaging to be surprisingly good.. something that's typically hard to achieve in phones with a thick, somewhat warm signature.

With all the time I've spent with the HD800 recently, I too may see if I can get my 7X upgraded to the 8X as I find myself craving something with a little more treble energy and less bass.

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #494 of 597
Thanks for your excellent impressions Anoxy, Flysweep and Nothingman. I've been on the fence between the 7X and 8X for months now... but your comments have caused me to lean more towards the latter.

The only hesitance I have now is caused by thoughts of losing some of that wonderful sub-bass capability. If only Mitch had room to leave that driver in and create a 9X!... or maybe I'm just greedy...

*Eagerly awaits Average Joe's 8X review*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back