Dream Earz aud-5X Custom IEM Review: Pure Value @ $565 - Also the appreciation thread!
Feb 19, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #136 of 597
@ Xingz: Am looking forward to your impressons, particularly in comparisons to other IEMs you own, or have owned.

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #137 of 597
Hahhs, actually the 5x is the first CIEM that I own. I have a Klipsch Custom 3 and a TF10 as well. And honestly, the 5x is really the best sounding among what I have at the moment. Might get other CIEMs in the future, but not anytime soon, haha.

For pics... I got them in clear and clear cable, so it looks like pretty much other clear custom IEMs as well.

Feb 20, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #138 of 597

Quote:
Hahhs, actually the 5x is the first CIEM that I own. I have a Klipsch Custom 3 and a TF10 as well. And honestly, the 5x is really the best sounding among what I have at the moment. Might get other CIEMs in the future, but not anytime soon, haha.

For pics... I got them in clear and clear cable, so it looks like pretty much other clear custom IEMs as well.

I've never owned one but am looking at entry level options. I'm particularly interested in the aud-5x as it meets my budget restrictions as well as my signature preference (at least on paper). I'd appreciate any thoughts or impressions you might have, particularly regarding comfort, isolation etc.     

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #139 of 597
Hahhs, I would say that the 5x is a very very good buy. Comfort wise, I'd have to say that your impressions are very very important. I managed to get a very good audiologist over here is Singapore so the fit of the 5x is sweet.

Also, the 5x is pretty easy to drive, am usually playing it off my iPod Touch and the sound coming out of them are very enjoyable. I can hear the instrument separation and also experience sub-bass, due to the large low driver and 2 other low drivers in them. But yet the miss and highs still can be heard. Though like Joe said, they aren't as analytical as the JH. But that being said, it still is very very good for the $$$ that you paid.

I'm currently waiting for my Fiio E-17, so once that is in, I'm gonna try the 5x with them, it should bring the sound up a few notches I think?

But the most important thing is also the quality of the file that you have. I'm hearing it on 128kbps to 320kbps and the higher quality file really sounds great with these.

I don't have lossless files cause I want the space in my iPod to contain more music, so 320kbps is pretty much what I need. 

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #140 of 597
Thanks for sharing.  Yes, as with all my custom IEMs, the better the source quality, the more potential that can be realized.  320 kbps is pretty good, but FLAC has more micro-detail in the presentation :wink:

Feb 22, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #141 of 597
Thanks for the info Xings. I look forward to hearing your impressions once the E-17 arrives.

With your current source, how would you describe bass quantity comapred to your TF10?

Feb 22, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #142 of 597
Hmmm, for bass quantity.... I think the 5x gives you a lot better bass quantity with it's 3 low drivers, it really give you a lot of bass, but yet it sounds tight and not muddy.

One additional factor is also that it's a custom, which also means that bass response is further better than universal IEMs due to the better isolation.

Nulliverse, are you a bass-head? Hahhs

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #143 of 597
Could anyone compare this Aud-X5 customes with some ot those top tire IEM-s, especially VSonic GR07, Weston 4, Sennheiser IE7 / IE8  ? 

My current setup are is a moded T51 DAP and some VSonic GR07,s  .. 600$ are a lot of money for me and I must be sure that's the best way to spend them...

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #144 of 597

Quote:
Hmmm, for bass quantity.... I think the 5x gives you a lot better bass quantity with it's 3 low drivers, it really give you a lot of bass, but yet it sounds tight and not muddy.

One additional factor is also that it's a custom, which also means that bass response is further better than universal IEMs due to the better isolation.

Nulliverse, are you a bass-head? Hahhs

Thanks Xingz. No, I'm not a bass-head, though I do like a bit of emphasis / boost at the bottom end. Mids are just as important to me - I'm not at all keen on overly V or U shaped signatures - and like them to be nicely balanced, if a little forward. Treble energy, presence and extension are also very important to me, though I'm not adverse to the high end sitting slightly behind the mids (so long as does not roll off). Layering and sound stage depth are important factors to me, more so than width, and I'm a sucker for the whole immersive, 3d imaging thing. 

With this in mind and my restrictions regarding budget, I'm thinking that the 5X fits the bill, at least compared to any other CIEM at this price point. I've actually sold off most of my IEMs now in order to fund this... but had a minor slip a few weeks back when I ordered the ASG-1! If the ASG-1 meets my expectations I will sell off my two remaining mid-tiers. which'll give me enough to order. If the ASG-1 doesn't meet my expectations, I'll just sell it off and order
dt880smile.png

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #145 of 597
Average_joe, did you swap your Studio V for the RoCoo, or do you still have it? I noticed that the RoCoo was a good source match for you, but was wondering if you noticed hissing whilst using the 5X with the Studio.

Feb 24, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #146 of 597

Quote:
Thanks Xingz. No, I'm not a bass-head, though I do like a bit of emphasis / boost at the bottom end. Mids are just as important to me - I'm not at all keen on overly V or U shaped signatures - and like them to be nicely balanced, if a little forward. Treble energy, presence and extension are also very important to me, though I'm not adverse to the high end sitting slightly behind the mids (so long as does not roll off). Layering and sound stage depth are important factors to me, more so than width, and I'm a sucker for the whole immersive, 3d imaging thing. 

With this in mind and my restrictions regarding budget, I'm thinking that the 5X fits the bill, at least compared to any other CIEM at this price point. I've actually sold off most of my IEMs now in order to fund this... but had a minor slip a few weeks back when I ordered the ASG-1! If the ASG-1 meets my expectations I will sell off my two remaining mid-tiers. which'll give me enough to order. If the ASG-1 doesn't meet my expectations, I'll just sell it off and order
dt880smile.png

sounds pretty U shaped to me! i am the same way. i like mids but i also like low end and sparkly highs. i think my preference is slightly U shaped or maybe just bumped up at the low end

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #147 of 597

Quote:
Average_joe, did you swap your Studio V for the RoCoo, or do you still have it? I noticed that the RoCoo was a good source match for you, but was wondering if you noticed hissing whilst using the 5X with the Studio.

That comparison was with the old RoCoo A, not the RoCoo Power.  The RoCoo Power doesn't have hiss, however it has significant deep bass roll off.  The RoCoo A is a great little player, but it is no longer being sold, so I stopped using it for my source matching after this review.

Quote:
sounds pretty U shaped to me! i am the same way. i like mids but i also like low end and sparkly highs. i think my preference is slightly U shaped or maybe just bumped up at the low end

With a forward midrange, the 5X isn't U shaped; the TS842 is though.

Feb 25, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #148 of 597
@Caracara08; perhaps I wasn't clear / you missed the bit where I said that I like mids to be in balance, or slightly forward. This is one of the reasons why I recently sold my FX-700s, but kept my FXT90s. But I def share preference for enhancement at the bottom end!

Thanks for the clarification average_joe. I asked as I'm currently sitting on the fence as to whether I should upgrade my source (clip+/E11)) before moving onto customs, or vice-versa. The only reason that this is an issue is that once I've purchased one, it will take me at least 6 months to save up for the other. Damn my budget! 

Feb 25, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #149 of 597

Quote:
@Caracara08; perhaps I wasn't clear / you missed the bit where I said that I like mids to be in balance, or slightly forward. This is one of the reasons why I recently sold my FX-700s, but kept my FXT90s. But I def share preference for enhancement at the bottom end!

Thanks for the clarification average_joe. I asked as I'm currently sitting on the fence as to whether I should upgrade my source (clip+/E11)) before moving onto customs, or vice-versa. The only reason that this is an issue is that once I've purchased one, it will take me at least 6 months to save up for the other. Damn my budget! 

Headphones in general make a bigger difference than sources/amps, plus BAs are generally easier to drive because they are very controlled to start with.  To me, it makes more sense to get the CIEM and see what difference it makes with your current source, and then once you are familiar with the sound from the CIEM, you should be able to better hear the differences when upgrading your source.

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #150 of 597

Quote:

i have both the fxt90 and fx700 too and theres just something about listening to the fx700 that i cant let go. if i dont listen to it for while, i feel like oh well but when i do, i really enjoy it. kind of like how i feel with the hd650.

in any case, sent my 5x for a refit and got about a week left waiting until its done. 

i was considerign upgrading my clip zip and j3 to a dx100 but i just dont have the monye for that. but in reality, am i really not happy with what i got? i think i am, its just the dx100 seems so awesome. but in any case, i seem to upgrade headphones before throwing down 500+ on a source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back