Dream Earz aud-5X Custom IEM Review: Pure Value @ $565 - Also the appreciation thread!
Feb 14, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #121 of 597
Anymore impressions?

popcorn.gif

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #124 of 597
Oh the tedious tick-tocking of clocks! Thanks for the update Pwilson.

Quote:
now something that bothers me and could just be me.  i really feel the timbre is off.  it seems on the bright side. these are no means bright but it just seems the tone of voices, etc are slightly off.  its kind of hard to explain since I'm not a musician or singer or CIEM reviewer.  i wonder if that makes sense.  i could be totally wrong but thats just my impression.  the timbre on the fx700 sounds natural to me.  voices seem more properly toned.  

Quote:
oh dont get me wrong, the bass on the 5x is really good. more balanced than the fx700 which sometimes i feel is too much (usually not though since i love impact and texture of bass).  

as for the tone, maybe its just gonna take some getting used to the brighter sound.  but thats the thing, i dont find them bright really... does that even make sense? lol  maybe its my preference of tube amps/sound, using the fx700, etc.  ? /shrug.

How are you getting on now Caracara08?

Have you adjusted to the 5x's tone more now? And how would you compare the 5x to the FX-700s in regards to refinement and sparkle up top? I've always found FX-700 to be a little lacking in overall cohesion... something I hope that that the 5x will remedy. Would appreciate your impressions.  

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #125 of 597
i sent them in for a refit. the left monitor wouldnt stay sealed. 

i think the 5x really performs very well for its price.   after i get it back, i will decide whether i want to keep both the 5x and fx700. but i want to wait on commenting until i get them back and have a listen again.

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #132 of 597

Quote:
Joe, does the aud5x sound similar to any famous iem? Thanks

Not that really jumps out at me.  There are similarities in part, but I can't say it sounds too similar.  The miss are forward with big bass somewhat similar to the SE535, but brighter and much higher quality.  

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #134 of 597
Loving my 5x, heard the JH16 prior to buying them as I read from Joe's review that they sounded a little bit like the JH16s and I must say... they do! Just waiting for them to burn in even more!

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #135 of 597
Glad you are loving the 5X.  I was talking with another head-fi member about custom IEMs, comparing our experiences and it comes down to the 5X is closer to a $1K custom IEM in overall technical capability but does a few of the qualities do match the price range, so you are getting quite an enjoyable experience for the money. You have to essentially double your expenditure to improve.  And to my ears, they are closest to the JH16 in the bass and somewhat similar in the treble area, but not through the midrange, and especially not in midrange note thickness.

Bottom line is you have a great CIEM that can do so much and stands up real well vs. the competition.  I am looking forward to your continued impressions of them over time and in comparison to other headphones/IEMs.  Any pics you can post?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back