Dream Earz aud-5X Custom IEM Review: Pure Value @ $565 - Also the appreciation thread!
Jan 24, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #92 of 597
caracara08 and Joe how do you like AUD-5X with Clip+? I mean if I plan to take Clip+ for the beginning and to have some time to save up for a serious DAP.

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #93 of 597

Quote:
caracara08 and Joe how do you like AUD-5X with Clip+? I mean if I plan to take Clip+ for the beginning and to have some time to save up for a serious DAP.

i havent used it as much iwth the clip zip yet.  i plan to start that soon.  mainly have been burning it in and using it out of my j3 and Objective2.  i wish i heard more around its price range, but i wll admit they do sound very good. the bass coming out of them is really fun when used with the o2.  i like texture and impact in my bass, and i get all of that. 

Jan 24, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #94 of 597

Quote:

In the source matching section of the main review in the first post.

Jan 24, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #95 of 597
Joe how do you think will I like the sound of AUD-5X if Iike and enjoy the sound of Koss KSC75 from my iPhone 3Gs without any external amp (I see in description that you own KSC75)?

Jan 24, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #96 of 597
I had a pair of KSC75 in the past and they are like one of those not so serious but fun sounding clip ons. There's no comparison between them and the Aud 5X, Aud 5X does everything better and they are not on the same technical level as also price suggests. For example, The clarity and transparency way outclasses KSC75, details retrieval is way better, and everything sounds so much better on the Aud 5X and in fact there's no comparison. But of course they are different with one being in ear and the other one on ear. I didn't like the KSC75 that much when I had it but I love my Aud 5X, they are amazingly good for me.

Jan 25, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #97 of 597

Quote:
Joe how do you think will I like the sound of AUD-5X if Iike and enjoy the sound of Koss KSC75 from my iPhone 3Gs without any external amp (I see in description that you own KSC75)?

Quote:
I had a pair of KSC75 in the past and they are like one of those not so serious but fun sounding clip ons. There's no comparison between them and the Aud 5X, Aud 5X does everything better and they are not on the same technical level as also price suggests. For example, The clarity and transparency way outclasses KSC75, details retrieval is way better, and everything sounds so much better on the Aud 5X and in fact there's no comparison. But of course they are different with one being in ear and the other one on ear. I didn't like the KSC75 that much when I had it but I love my Aud 5X, they are amazingly good for me.

Hi TiEx, silverkaze answered the question quite well and I have to say I agree with everything he said!

Jan 25, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #98 of 597
Thanks a lot Joe and silverkaze! I have asked this questions because it will be a blind purchase. But from your review and other impressions I am very confident that I will be really happy with sound signature of DreamEarz.

And I think I have the last question Joe. About taking impressions. Mitch kindly gave me instructions. But I want to ask you as you already have a big experience in making self impressions. What mouth position would you recommend? In DreamEarz instruction is said to talk freely while taking impressions. Did you took impressions this way or just a usual bite block? What would you recommend for best seal and comfort?

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #99 of 597
I use a bite block for all my impressions for acrylic shelled custom IEMs, but I use about 1/2", not 1".  That works for me and will for many people, but people are different.  Usually, when someone opens their mouth, their ear canal opens up a bit, so with the mouth closed you will have a good seal, and that should remain with your mouth opened.  Every once in a while that is not the case.

The ideal situation would be to get impressions done with both a 1" bite block and no bite block and see how they compare.  But the real key IMO is getting a deep impression without voids.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Jan 27, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #101 of 597

Quote:
Well my impressions are making their way across the Atlantic so about a month or so and I should have mine. Fingers crossed for a perfect fit first time!

Looking forward to your impressions on AUD-5X!

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #103 of 597
Jan 29, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #104 of 597
Joe. Love your reviews! Looking for my first $400-600 iem's.I will be using them mainly for work. It's noisy and dusty. Droid bionic is my current source.I've got my eye on ie80 or AUD-5X. Any input would be helpful!

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #105 of 597

Quote:
Joe. Love your reviews! Looking for my first $400-600 iem's.I will be using them mainly for work. It's noisy and dusty. Droid bionic is my current source.I've got my eye on ie80 or AUD-5X. Any input would be helpful!

I haven't followed the IE80, but a Sennheiser guy I spoke with told me the IE80 was an IE8 with a different finish, and the aud-5X is technically much better.  From isolation along the aud-5X will be far superior, and will be easier to drive and more spacious.  If the IE80 does indeed sound like an IE8, the sound signatures are very different, with the 5X have more mid-forward vocals, less warmth, and a much clearer sound among many other differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back