Dre beats?
Oct 22, 2010 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

haarism

100+ Head-Fier
So i just wanted to know if the beats by dre headphones are as big of an overpriced joke as skullcandies or are these actually worth it?
Im talking about both the solo and studio ones

Oct 22, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #3 of 19
srsly?

Oct 22, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:
It is pretty much universally excepted on here that they are overpriced.

x2

If you can get some kind of good deal on a pair and like the they way they look, then their not so bad.  The average street price is way more than they're worth though.

Oct 22, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #5 of 19
My friend owns a pair of the studios, noise isolation is excellent, comfort IMO is horrible. The ear cups are tiny, I don't have large ears or anything, but it felt really awkward to me. My friend said that they sounded really clear, which after listening to them was hogwash to me. I used my Nexus One to listen to them with flac files, I listened to a couple of rock songs, they didn't wow me or anything, bass was alright, but it was far from clear. Sounded like my Nuforce NE-7M, and overall they reminded me of the Nuforce.

Quality wise I didn't think that they felt like $300 headphones, especially in comparison  to my DT 990/600, the synthetic earpads felt cheap, and overall it didn't feel sturdy. There are much better headphones out there for less, if you want to look ridiculous with headphones on get the new Q701's.

Oct 23, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #6 of 19
I've listened to the Solo $200 and the bass is farty. *edit* and Taco Bell farty at that.  Sorry for the description, but that is the only thing that I can compare.

The Studios sound good, but for the price... c'mon money can and was DEFINITELY spent much more wisely elsewhere.

Oct 23, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #7 of 19
As many have already noted... it is alright, but it is extremely overpriced. Lower both Solo and Studio by half, then maybe we can talk.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #8 of 19
Should lower them a little more than half :p ...seriously my freind bought the solo and it sounded horrible IMO...and it costed him like 400SGD...thats like crazy overpriced...The 750DJ by shures sound way nicer and are way cheaper...well here in singapore they are way cheaper haha...in america its $50 cheaper?? idk 

Jan 5, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #10 of 19

Quote:
I've listened to the Solo $200 and the bass is farty. *edit* and Taco Bell farty at that.  Sorry for the description, but that is the only thing that I can compare.

The Studios sound good, but for the price... c'mon money can and was DEFINITELY spent much more wisely elsewhere.

I'd have to agree.  A took a listen to my friends Studios and they sounded pretty nice.  Albeit, veiled and refined but emphasis on the bass.  The bass didn't get too out of control but was exaggerated on bass/bass drum passages..  They isolated very well.  So, for 350 some bucks you are paying for really nice isolation and bass.  Luckily, he got them off the back of a truck and paid half. 

Jan 5, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #12 of 19
I have a friend who lost a leg when his Beats exploded in his lap. I would steer clear.

Jan 5, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #14 of 19
If the price for the Studios was about $180-$200 I would consider them, but at almost $600 I don't see it.
Drop the Solos or HD to about $130-$150 range and once again I would consider them, but at almost $300 still not going to happen.
I'm not expert, but it's clear that Audiophiles are not the target audience for the Beats.
I wonder if people get worked up about them because they are so clearly over priced or because they are backed by Monster?
I've listened to them, and I feel that they don't sound bad. 
If you've never used anything other then the headphones that came with you mp3 player then the first time you put them on you will be floored by the sound.
In the same sense I have tried some better respected name brands, and still can't bring myself to spend the hundreds or even thousands of dollar asking price.
They know who they are selling them to, and how to sell them. I can't count how many times I've seen Basketball players or Football player walking into the stadium with a pair of Beats on.
I think "Hmm, funny, he's wearing some Beats", while my son looks at them and says "Oh! He's wearing the headphones by Dr. Dre!"
Target aquired and locked!
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back