drawing the line for best sound from an ipod/mp3 player
Feb 22, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #16 of 22
I won't deny that with the right gear, you would be able to do A/B comparisons and differentiate between 128kbps mp3s and lossless formats. Without an A/B comparison, however, most people may not even realize they're listening to a lossy format :p

To clarify i wasn't try to scare off squirrelboy but just let him know that it is possible. I agree with about lossy formats tho.

Feb 22, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #17 of 22
so let's see if i've got this straight (summarizing some info i've gathered) ... for ipod users, headphones won't need to go over the $300 mark, (maybe with exception of p7, but those extra 50 bucks are mostly high quality build/ design anyway) cuz those above need amps/dacs to bring out the music, and they also sound bad under 256 bitrate; maybe 320 depending on your ears.
iems should be cut at the $500 mark- (se535, w4, ue900, ie80, etc) while higher models don't necessarily need amping, a portable amp is recommended. they will bring out the bad points in recording/mastering/ and bitrates uder 256 or so quite easily, being detailed. for these higher end iems, a portable amp/quality music player with quality music is needed to justify their price.

conclusion: sell se535 at $400, and m50 at $150 (i live in korea)

buy dunu-dn1000 as iem $200, and p7 $400 as headphone (stuck between p7, nad viso hp50, kefm500, and maybe momentum/mdr1r/m100/k550, but will probably get p7)

While price isn't the best indicator of headphone quality or pairing needs, as a rough benchmark, yes, i would agree with your summary.

Feb 22, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #18 of 22
You can demo a lot of these in Best Buy's Magnolia section.

Feb 22, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #19 of 22
You can demo a lot of these in Best Buy's Magnolia section.

For ~$300 headphones try the Sennheiser Momentum model. They are extremely comfortable headphones, have solid isolation, and work for a wide variety of genres. 

Feb 22, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #20 of 22

For ~$300 headphones try the Sennheiser Momentum model. They are extremely comfortable headphones, have solid isolation, and work for a wide variety of genres. 

I have to admit, even though I already own the P7s, I get tempted by the Momentums every time I walk past the local headphone stores and see these on the shelves. These simply look too good and sound great as well!

Feb 22, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #21 of 22

I have too many headphones already but maybe you meant to post this to the OP?  The Momentum's are too small for my ears and end up being on-ear headphones for me :) but thank you anyway for the recommendation.  I also already own a pair of closed headphones that I enjoy more than the Momemtum's, the Shure SRH1540.

Feb 22, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #22 of 22
  I have too many headphones already but maybe you meant to post this to the OP?  The Momentum's are too small for my ears and end up being on-ear headphones for me :) but thank you anyway for the recommendation.  I also already own a pair of closed headphones that I enjoy more than the Momemtum's, the Shure SRH1540.

Yeah I meant that for the OP, woops!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back