Dragonfly COBALT vs.............Discussions
Nov 6, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #1,171 of 1,192
What adapters are you all using with the cobalt when you use it with your iPhones? Apple’s dongle or third party dongles?
Apple adapter or DragonTail with Hidizs USC-C/lightning adapter (which is also included in ifi Go Bar and Go Link). Apple adapter draws less current from phone.

Nov 7, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #1,173 of 1,192
What adapters are you all using with the cobalt when you use it with your iPhones? Apple’s dongle or third party dongles?
USB caméra dongle with Lightning or without

Nov 7, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #1,175 of 1,192
So the Dragonfly Cobalt is on sale for $259 Canadian (originally $449). Seems like quite the discount.

How is the cobalt compared to something like a Schiit Modi or even the Modius? I know those two are desktop dacs compared to the Cobalt which is mobile but I used my Dragonfly Black (before it died) and a Schiit Asgard (which I still use) as my setup for many years and loved it.

Nov 7, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #1,176 of 1,192
The Cobalt would have more detail than the Modi. I have a Dragonfly Red and Black along with a Modi 3+. I find the Modi 3+ and Dragonfly Black to have a similar sound with me liking the Modi 3+ better. The Dragonfly Red sounds better to me than the Modi 3+.

Nov 7, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #1,177 of 1,192
The Cobalt would have more detail than the Modi. I have a Dragonfly Red and Black along with a Modi 3+. I find the Modi 3+ and Dragonfly Black to have a similar sound with me liking the Modi 3+ better. The Dragonfly Red sounds better to me than the Modi 3+.
Appreciate the feedback!

Nov 8, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #1,178 of 1,192
Just curious why would you still buy a dragonfly cobalt new? There are so many better options nowadays?

Yes in the old days cobalt was very good (I own one, somewhere in a drawer now)

But right now it is dinosaur tech and sold for way too much money for what it’s worth

It sounds okay, but nothing more than that

Nov 8, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #1,181 of 1,192
Just curious why would you still buy a dragonfly cobalt new? There are so many better options nowadays?

Yes in the old days cobalt was very good (I own one, somewhere in a drawer now)

But right now it is dinosaur tech and sold for way too much money for what it’s worth

It sounds okay, but nothing more than that
Only reason I considered it is because it was on sale. I wouldn't buy it full price

Nov 8, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #1,182 of 1,192
to give some easy options I can think of right now, Ifi go bar, Questyle M15, Earman etc...

It is not like I say the dragonfly is bad, but would not pay more than 99 euro for it, in the current market and better options available
I was looking at the Questyle M15 as a more mobile option. It was recommended to me recently. Definitely open to other options

Nov 8, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #1,183 of 1,192
I was looking at the Questyle M15 as a more mobile option. It was recommended to me recently. Definitely open to other options
I would advice you to certainly listen to a few other, nowadays there are way better options for that price than the audioquest dragonfly cobalt, I think it is weird there was never a new model or anything (honestly I think they can't cope with the better companies out there regarding that)

Nov 8, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #1,184 of 1,192
I would advice you to certainly listen to a few other, nowadays there are way better options for that price than the audioquest dragonfly cobalt, I think it is weird there was never a new model or anything (honestly I think they can't cope with the better companies out there regarding that)
That's a fair point. I got my dragonfly black almost 9, 10 years ago. Clearly hasnt changed much at all.

I guess dacs/amps was never a main part of their business considering how much they offer in cables and power conditioners etc. They probably figure that the dragonfly sold well, might as well keep it going?

Nov 8, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #1,185 of 1,192
That's a fair point. I got my dragonfly black almost 9, 10 years ago. Clearly hasnt changed much at all.

I guess dacs/amps was never a main part of their business considering how much they offer in cables and power conditioners etc. They probably figure that the dragonfly sold well, might as well keep it going?
Yes, and people kept buying it for that high price, production costs are propably less than 10/15 bucks , smart selling…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back