Dragonfly COBALT vs.............Discussions
Feb 15, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #646 of 1,192
What are you using to play under Android or iOS?
Amazon music HD and Ipad. Android sounds really bad in my experience and sadly iphone sounds worse than ipad as well.

Edit: actually dfc on iphone with prophile 8 doesn‘t sound that good. Just tried it. volume steps are too big too so makes no sense to use it as portable rig. On ipad it‘s fine though.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #647 of 1,192
Amazon music HD and Ipad. Android sounds really bad in my experience and sadly iphone sounds worse than ipad as well.

Edit: actually dfc on iphone with prophile 8 doesn‘t sound that good. Just tried it. volume steps are too big too so makes no sense to use it as portable rig. On ipad it‘s fine though.

I am using Poweramp and Neutron under Android. I think that sometimes Android has issues with the timing transfering data through USB (app is not getting enough CPU time) and it produces weird metallic/electronic sounds otherwise sound is pretty good.

I was expecting to be able to compare impressions on the different sound these two players produce. To me it looks like Neutron has more defined instruments and Poweramp better sound stage, more spacious.

Feb 16, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #648 of 1,192
I am using Poweramp and Neutron under Android. I think that sometimes Android has issues with the timing transfering data through USB (app is not getting enough CPU time) and it produces weird metallic/electronic sounds otherwise sound is pretty good.

I was expecting to be able to compare impressions on the different sound these two players produce. To me it looks like Neutron has more defined instruments and Poweramp better sound stage, more spacious.
Yeah something must be wrong in android in the usb transferring to the dac but i don't know what. I'm generally surprised that the source doesn't get much talk in hifi scene because the consensus seems to be that no matter what you plug your dac in it sounds the same. But whether i plug my dac into an ipad, iphone, macbook, android phone, windows or linux all sounds very different to me. The difference is much more noticable to me than the difference between 48 khz, 96 khz or dsd which are the things most people talk about. But i would take the sound of an entry headphone with a normal dac out of a macbookpro or an ipad everytime over the sound of a utopia with a chord dave out of a normal android phone.

Feb 21, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #649 of 1,192
Check out the USB Audio Player app for Android phones. It uses its own USB driver to connect directly to your DAC through the USB port. Other audio player use Android's native USB driver to connect to the USB device, and that limits audio quality.

Feb 21, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #650 of 1,192
Hey guys, Just picked up a pair of Audioquest Night Owls. Looking at either a Dragonfly Red or Dragonfly Cobalt to pair with these out of my phone. The form factor of the Dragonfly's are really important for me to be able to stick my phone in my pocket as I walk around the house, otherwise might have considered the Mojo or something similar. From what I understand, a little different sound signature on each. Anyone have any experience with either the Red or Cobalt with the NOs? Thanks! Greg

Feb 22, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #651 of 1,192
Hi Haden2866,

Just curious, can the iPhone power the DFC with ease? Some reported that it will show "excessive current" with prior DFs.

And long it drain the iPhone battery fairly? How long does the iPhone last using the combo?

Regards Wayne

I’m using it with an iPhone XR and have no problems. It plays louder (as does the DFR) with its 2.1 v output than the iPhone with the Apple dongle and battery consumption is even

Feb 22, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #652 of 1,192

You can do fine adjustments by long pressing the volume on iPhone

Feb 22, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #653 of 1,192
You can do fine adjustments by long pressing the volume on iPhone
Oh thanks lol. Didn't know that. Lifelong android user. But i already returned the Iphone. Wanted to give it a try but i'll stick to android. I think in terms of volume adjustments IFi IEMatch could also help. Bought one for my Ipad and DFC and i think it sounds better but could ofc be placebo. But the volume steps are even finer now ofc.

Feb 23, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #654 of 1,192
Oh thanks lol. Didn't know that. Lifelong android user. But i already returned the Iphone. Wanted to give it a try but i'll stick to android. I think in terms of volume adjustments IFi IEMatch could also help. Bought one for my Ipad and DFC and i think it sounds better but could ofc be placebo. But the volume steps are even finer now ofc.
I only found it out because someone posted on here I didn’t know myself until a couple of months ago

Feb 27, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #655 of 1,192
& then HERE she is...

IMG_3514.JPG

Gonna hook it up tonite for a listening pleasure!

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #656 of 1,192
Hi guys,

Is there a way to dim down (OR OFF) the light of the dragonfly logo?

Im surprise that the cobalt does not consume much juice from my iPad battery and yet its ability to drive headphone.

Kudos to Audioquest for this FINE product!

Regards Wayne

Feb 28, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #657 of 1,192
So after reading this thread thoroughly I was about to click "Purchase" for the Cobalt, but then I saw information on a new USB DAC (a.k.a. Earmen Sparrow - https://www.moon-audio.com/earmen-sparrow-usb-dac.html) that is supposed to be released soon which sports the latest es9281pro chip whereas the cobalt is using the es9038q2m chip.

So now Im torn.... I dont know if I should just get the cobalt or wait for the sparrow and see how it stacks up against the cobalt. I also understand that its not necessarily about what kind of chip is in the DAC, but how its implemented is what matters. Does anyone know what the main differences are between these two chips?

Feb 29, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #658 of 1,192
So after reading this thread thoroughly I was about to click "Purchase" for the Cobalt, but then I saw information on a new USB DAC (a.k.a. Earmen Sparrow - https://www.moon-audio.com/earmen-sparrow-usb-dac.html) that is supposed to be released soon which sports the latest es9281pro chip whereas the cobalt is using the es9038q2m chip.

So now Im torn.... I dont know if I should just get the cobalt or wait for the sparrow and see how it stacks up against the cobalt. I also understand that its not necessarily about what kind of chip is in the DAC, but how its implemented is what matters. Does anyone know what the main differences are between these two chips?
That es9281pro sounds interesting. I expect it to drain the battery even far less than a DFC/DFR, as this is a one-chip solution. That single chip already includes a USB transceiver and a headphone amp, no additional active components are required... The only remaining question is how it will sound...

Feb 29, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #659 of 1,192
Agreed. Only time will tell how this DAC stacks up against the cobalt. It’s a very interesting solution, and it’s $100 less. Not sure if price is relative to performance compared to the cobalt in this case but it could be a serious competitor if it sounds as good if not better.

Feb 29, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #660 of 1,192
The ESS 9281 Pro chip is also used in the Hilidac Beam 2 and the Zorloo Ztella dongle.

First measurements of the latter were not that favourable https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...lla-mqa-phone-headphone-adapter-review.11785/

I own the Zorloo Ztella and am nonetheless quite happy with it. The first impressions soundwise are totally ok for me especially regarding its very good form factor. It is extremely compact and therefore very easy and comfortable to use with my Galaxy Note 9.

And the (still quite seldom) MQA capability is a nice addon if one uses the Tidal service.

If looking for the best sound quality possible a device with an ESS 9038 chip might still be the better option imo.

Whether the Cobalt is worth the higher price tag? I doubt that, though I liked it, when I once had the opportunity to listen to it. I guess I will instead buy an E1DA 9038S and D (which both lack MQA though).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back