Dragonfly COBALT vs.............Discussions
Jan 30, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #631 of 1,192
Just thought I would share my own personal experiences. I decided to go all in and buy all three dragonfly’s and the chord mojo to do a critical listening comparison of all 4 for my two main daily’s (Shure se846 and 1More Quad drivers). I also play hi res music from Amazon Music unlimited Ultra HD

Dragonfly Black

For the money, this DAC is very impressive. Definitely the best bang for your buck in terms of cost/improvement. Really steps up the music but it’s a very neutral sound signature so nothing really stands out.

Dragonfly Red

A marked improvement on the Black as the bass, treble and Mids are very audibly improved and more forward sounding to my ears. Soundstage is better than on the black but not amazing. It is Bass heavy but still an enjoyable listen.

Dragonfly Cobalt

Not as bass heavy as the Red but everything just sounds better. Much more crisp, detailed and the soundstage is incredible. In my opinion a worthy competitor to the Mojo and worth the steep price against the Red. It just sounds so much more pleasant. Nothing is too harsh but everything just sounds incredible.

Chord Mojo

This is the best of the 4 hands down. Noticed the biggest difference using my Shure se846 but the soundstage was better, instrument separation was incredible, Bass, Mids and Treble all sounded impeccable with nothing muddying over anything else. I couldn’t really hear any difference between the Mojo and the Coablt using my 1More’s or even using my Sennheiser Momentum 3 over ears. Seems the Mojo comes into its own with high end IEM’s like the se846.

Conclusion

The dragonfly’s are all amazing with the Cobalt definitely being the best of the three and considering the transportability and ease of use with it not needing to be charged to use, I would say the Cobalt is the Best Buy of the 3. But if you have the spare money and you do a lot of listening at a desktop or not moving, the Mojo really is just that bit better than the Cobalt. If money is tight, the Black is definitely worth the money. But if you’re going to spend a lot of money on a DAC, I would save that little bit more for the Cobalt over the Red.

I hope this helps anyone considering any of the options. I have since returned the Black and Red and plan to keep the Mojo and Cobalt. Mojo to use at my desktop, the Cobalt for going out and about.
I haven't heard the DFB but I had the DFR before replacing it with the DFC and I agree with your conclusions, everything just sounds better on the DFC (also reviewed using both SE846 and Audeze LCD-4z.

Don't have the Mojo as I prefer the form factor of the DFC for travelling. Use a Hugo2 to power the LCD4zs normally

If (as many say) the mojo comes "relatively" close to the Hugo2 then I would agree to spend the extra on that (consider that the price was reduced by about £100 a while ago) unless, like me, the form factor, charging and apparent interference with cables is an issue. I prefer the portability of the DFC and so stick to that.

Jan 31, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #632 of 1,192
Can someone tell me how the Cobalt compares to the Monolith USB Dac and the Ikko Zerda?

There was a guy on youtube saying that the Monolith just sounds as good as Cobalt for 1/4 of the price?

I did listen to the Fiio BT5 vs the Cobalt and the Cobalt sounds way better for my ears at least. But the price... nope.

Feb 2, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #633 of 1,192
Hi All,

I have bought the DFC but the best headphones I own are the sony wh-1000xm3 (programming in a noisy environment). I have noticed that these headphones are electronically tuned, they sound weird (=dull, dark) with the noise cancelling turned off so I am thinking about getting something open that takes advantage of the of the cobalt (there is some improvement already but...). It seems like the beyerdynamic dt 1990 pro or maybe the t1 could be good choices. Regarding this I have seen that the t1's impedance is 600 ohms. Should I discard this model (as a combination with DFC) because of the high impedance?

On the other had I like analytical flat/natural sound. Am I looking in the right place with this headphones?

I have noticed that when using the Google Play Music under Android with the cobalt it has a weird electronic distortion everytime I change to a new song. Only happens with this player. Anyone else getting this?

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #634 of 1,192
Hi All,

I have bought the DFC but the best headphones I own are the sony wh-1000xm3 (programming in a noisy environment). I have noticed that these headphones are electronically tuned, they sound weird (=dull, dark) with the noise cancelling turned off so I am thinking about getting something open that takes advantage of the of the cobalt (there is some improvement already but...). It seems like the beyerdynamic dt 1990 pro or maybe the t1 could be good choices. Regarding this I have seen that the t1's impedance is 600 ohms. Should I discard this model (as a combination with DFC) because of the high impedance?

On the other had I like analytical flat/natural sound. Am I looking in the right place with this headphones?

I have noticed that when using the Google Play Music under Android with the cobalt it has a weird electronic distortion everytime I change to a new song. Only happens with this player. Anyone else getting this?

The Sony WH-1000XM3 works best using its own DAC/AMP. You will not have good results if you don't use its own DAC/AMP (Turning the headphone off). I can tell you that because I have it and tested it throughly. You better have another headphone to used with the Cobalt, otherwise, it is meaningless to have it.

Feb 3, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #635 of 1,192
Hi All,

T1 needs a really high-end amp to shine. Even Mojo cannot drive it properly. You probably won't have volume issues but the sound would be meh. From Beyer I can suggest DT1990, T90, DT880 (not the 600-ohm Pro model of course!). Amiron is another good option but not as flat as the above models.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #636 of 1,192
These are my initial impressions of the Monolith USB DAC and why I decided to purchase it.
I remember sitting in front of my fire place listening to The Hoff Ensemble Acoustic Project with my DFR (and a few other nicer DAC's) swapping back and forth
between my Andros, U-12's, Angie II's and Django's. Unfortunately, my bliss was overshadowed by the reality that my business was failing. I was forced to sell everything. I knew it would be a while before I could afford to buy another high-end IEM or DAC so I just lost interest.
I was convinced there was no way I could ever be satisfied with a budget set-up after owning high-end IEM's and DAC's. I did have one last pair of less expensive IEM's I had held onto for use primarily as on-stage, live performance monitors. I'm a drummer for a band and I had to have something.
Slowly, I began to regain interest and began researching budget IEM/DAC combos. With a budget of only $400.00, I went into what my wife calls ''obsessive research'' mode. I settled on the Fiio Fh5's and the Monolith USB DAC. So, after spending hours and hours listening to the DFR paired with IEM's I spent thousands and thousands of
dollars on only to have to start all over again with a pair of $250 (actually only paid $159 on eBay) budget IEM's and a $99 ''plasticky'' budget DAC, where do I find myself?
Sitting right back in front of my fireplace experiencing pure audio bliss. Well, almost. I don't think I'm hearing everything this DAC has to offer because of the limitations of my
FH5's. That being said the Fiio FH5's are great IEM's, especially for their price. The frequency range is overall pretty balanced, they have great sub and mid-bass, precise
imaging and the lower treble extends nicely. They also work pretty good as live performance IEM's
I'm getting some better IEM's in about a month in hopes it will bring out all this DAC has to offer. I will post a more extensive review then.
I will add, the build quality is not as good as the DFR but is good enough. And, when you
consider what's inside, the value is through the roof. So, should you buy it? Yes, definitely. Especially if your on a budget.
Should you buy it instead of the DFR or the DFC? I don't know yet. Not until I have my new IEM's.
Keep this in mind though, the Monolith USB DAC has the newer ESS Sabre ES9601 and supports all sample rates up to 32-bit, 384kHz.
Given these impressive specs and the lower cost, it's surprising there isn't more buzz around this DAC. And it's even more surprising that not one reviewer from any of the more reputable websites or YouTube channels has done a thorough comparison/review of this product. I can only speculate as to why that is. I don't think my little upcoming review will do this DAC justice. My hope is a more reputable reviewer or at least someone with better equipment can do a comprehensive, objective review/comparison with the DFR, DFC or any other DAC for that matter. Well, thats it I guess. Anybody?

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #637 of 1,192
The Sony WH-1000XM3 works best using its own DAC/AMP. You will not have good results if you don't use its own DAC/AMP (Turning the headphone off). I can tell you that because I have it and tested it throughly. You better have another headphone to used with the Cobalt, otherwise, it is meaningless to have it.

Thanks. I was looking into getting something without noise canceling. I noticed kind of a void in the sound with noise canceling on.

Feb 5, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #638 of 1,192
T1 needs a really high-end amp to shine. Even Mojo cannot drive it properly. You probably won't have volume issues but the sound would be meh. From Beyer I can suggest DT1990, T90, DT880 (not the 600-ohm Pro model of course!). Amiron is another good option but not as flat as the above models.

Thanks. I considered DT 1990 Pro, Sennheiser 660s and Hifiman Sundara. I got a pair of Sundaras. I can not get a pair to try them so I am going blind based on reviews only. Let's hope they last. I have seen people concerned with this.

Feb 12, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #639 of 1,192
Hi Haden2866,

Just curious, can the iPhone power the DFC with ease? Some reported that it will show "excessive current" with prior DFs.

And long it drain the iPhone battery fairly? How long does the iPhone last using the combo?

Regards Wayne

image.jpg 0B8C0C98-5175-4883-BE01-ACDB0B3185D2.jpeg I've been living with Dragonfly Cobalt (DFC) daily now for a month or more.
My primary use case is pretty simple - I use it hooked up to an iPhone 8 Plus playing Tidal, on- and offline, HiFi and Master.
I happen to have an IFi Audio iSilencer so I have left that in the chain - at some point I will take it out and see if I miss it. Lightning to USB is a silver cable by Lavri Cables - this includes the Apple CCK chipset so only one cable is required.
A strip of 3M Commander (like Velcro) fastens DFC, iSilencer and cable to the back of the phone - it's removable and very discrete, which is a consideration for me; this is a work phone. No issues with DFC build quality for me.
At the business end, where the rubber hits the road, I mostly use Flare Audio Flares PRO IEMs. Twice a day I plug it into the aux input of my stock Toyota Avensis car stereo for a half-hour commute. Sometimes I use various easy-to-drive headphones. As I type this, the mobile rig is plugged into my Minirig portable 2.1 system; I'm in a hotel room in London; the sound is phenomenal.
I had a Mojo for 18 months or so - sold it in the end but don't miss it. Compared to Mojo, from what I can remember, DFC has a livelier sound, a wider, more spacious soundstage and perhaps a slightly euphonic quality. It's a very engaging listen - definitely has the special sauce. Not as detailed, for sure but a more relaxed presentation overall, I would say.
Nice. I will be using this every day for the foreseeable future.

Feb 13, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #641 of 1,192
Hi Haden2866,

Just curious, can the iPhone power the DFC with ease? Some reported that it will show "excessive current" with prior DFs.

And long it drain the iPhone battery fairly? How long does the iPhone last using the combo?

Regards Wayne
I can only share my experience with an iPhone 8Plus which has been fine - I don't think I have had a single instance of a power mismatch pop-up.
DFC was designed with iPhone use as a design parameter, from what I understand.

On another note, sadly my lovely Lavri single-strand silver Lightning-USB CCK replacement cable suffered from excessive strain, being bent in a tight U and fastened to the back of the phone, and is now on my bench. I am sure that it would have been taken care of had I sent it back, but I chose to open it for DIY repair to learn from.
The Mk2 (I think) Apple CCK sounds terrible in comparison - the difference between my wanting to listen more vs. not being bothered.

I have since been using the supplied Dragontail (AQ Carbon OFC cable) with my daughter's cheap DAP. The cable, in my opinion, is taking ages to sound right - congested at first and lacking in air and any kind of sparkle. Where it will end up, performance-wise, compared to the Lavri, and how much is source-dependent I can't say.

Feb 13, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #642 of 1,192
Hi Haden2866,

Regards Wayne
in terms of battery life, can't say for sure (new phone so can't benchmark properly before DFC) but nothing to be concerned about, I would say - the CCK chipset gatekeeps against anything with more than a tiny current draw. IPhone 8Plus is mshoosive, mind you, well into phablet territory.

Feb 13, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #643 of 1,192
Thanks Haden2866 for your opinion. I will go for it. Just got a B&O H6 (Gen 1) via Mojo as Desktop Listening.

Will get the CCK with the Cobalt for iPad listening!

cant Wait.,

Regards Wayne

in terms of battery life, can't say for sure (new phone so can't benchmark properly before DFC) but nothing to be concerned about, I would say - the CCK chipset gatekeeps against anything with more than a tiny current draw. IPhone 8Plus is mshoosive, mind you, well into phablet territory.

Feb 15, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #644 of 1,192
Picking up my new grado gs1000e from a hifi store i saw the dfc and they were so kind to lend it to me so i can test it.

It's really small and sounds very good overall. In comparison to mojo it sounds warmer, more narrow with less soundstage, less separation, more bass and treble.

Beyerdynamic 770 250 ohm:
i don't like this combination with the dfc. Beyerpeak gets really unpleasent. You get more treble and more bass while decreasing soundstage but it's still more in your face than mojo. Not my taste.

Grado gs1000e:
My endgame headphone with chord mojo so there's no competition since i love this combination so much and i wouldn't trade it for any other setup.

Inear Prohile 8:
Reason to keep the dfc. The prophile 8 sounds extremly neutral by itself. With chord mojo it has better separation, better soundstage but sounds really neutral. I like this combination to hear classical music at a really really low volume in bed because you still hear all the details. With dfc it sounds more intimate, warmer, less detailed but gets more punch, bass and sounds really more fun with mainstream music and especially eletronic music. It's like back in school when you got your first iems and didn't care about such crap as soundquality but just enjoyed the music. Overall i like the pp8 with the dfc more than with mojo since it gives him some character. I find myself to hear at low volume with mojo but at louder volume with the dfc to make up for the loss of details and soundstage. Together with the small size it's perfect for me since i now can use this as my portable.

Feb 15, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #645 of 1,192
Picking up my new grado gs1000e from a hifi store i saw the dfc and they were so kind to lend it to me so i can test it.

It's really small and sounds very good overall. In comparison to mojo it sounds warmer, more narrow with less soundstage, less separation, more bass and treble.

Beyerdynamic 770 250 ohm:
i don't like this combination with the dfc. Beyerpeak gets really unpleasent. You get more treble and more bass while decreasing soundstage but it's still more in your face than mojo. Not my taste.

Grado gs1000e:
My endgame headphone with chord mojo so there's no competition since i love this combination so much and i wouldn't trade it for any other setup.

Inear Prohile 8:
Reason to keep the dfc. The prophile 8 sounds extremly neutral by itself. With chord mojo it has better separation, better soundstage but sounds really neutral. I like this combination to hear classical music at a really really low volume in bed because you still hear all the details. With dfc it sounds more intimate, warmer, less detailed but gets more punch, bass and sounds really more fun with mainstream music and especially eletronic music. It's like back in school when you got your first iems and didn't care about such crap as soundquality but just enjoyed the music. Overall i like the pp8 with the dfc more than with mojo since it gives him some character. I find myself to hear at low volume with mojo but at louder volume with the dfc to make up for the loss of details and soundstage. Together with the small size it's perfect for me since i now can use this as my portable.

What are you using to play under Android or iOS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back