Dragonfly COBALT vs.............Discussions
Aug 6, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #331 of 1,192
Simple explanation - too much dampening.
The problem is, IE Match present your DFR an 8ohm load. And then you need to get higher with volume, because of the dampening. DFR has a not very powerfull output stage, and can only maintain the output swing at low current. But with IE match it needs to supply both high current (low impedance load) and comparably high voltage (high dampening). With this it‘s going beyond the power budget and starts clipping the voltage -> you get the distortion...

In other words, DFR sees your IE Match as a very low impedance and very power hungry headphone, and it just doesn‘t have enough juice for that kind of loads...

Makes sense. Thank you for the explanation.

Aug 6, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #333 of 1,192
I have been comparing the Mojo and the Cobalt for the past few days.
If you care about the user interface of your phone, I think you can consider the Mojo.
For the cost of the Cobalt, the Mojo has better sound quality for a little bit more.

Awesome! I used to own a mojo for years, and have been listening to the cobalt all day today to my Stellias. The cobalt was a neat pickup and “i think” it sounds quite a bit more refined than what i remember my DFR sounding like. I felt like the DFR was a touch noticably hotter in treble than the mojo. I just got these Stellias and Ive definitely lusting over a mojo again (miss it), but not trying to impulsively just grab one again if its not a great idea.

Would you say the sound difference between the cobalt and mojo is readily noticeable for most? My favorite part of the mojo was its smooth warm and detailed vibe it gave, but the portability was just okay.

Happy tuesday!

Aug 6, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #334 of 1,192
Awesome! I used to own a mojo for years, and have been listening to the cobalt all day today to my Stellias. The cobalt was a neat pickup and “i think” it sounds quite a bit more refined than what i remember my DFR sounding like. I felt like the DFR was a touch noticably hotter in treble than the mojo. I just got these Stellias and Ive definitely lusting over a mojo again (miss it), but not trying to impulsively just grab one again if its not a great idea.

Would you say the sound difference between the cobalt and mojo is readily noticeable for most? My favorite part of the mojo was its smooth warm and detailed vibe it gave, but the portability was just okay.

Happy tuesday!

I noticed that the upper mids/lower treble sounds harsher on the Dragonfly Cobalt. Although no sibilance is present, it makes certain tracks 'shoutier'
and after awhile it's a little bit fatiguing and annoying at times. Otherwise, both their sound signatures are largely similar.
Mojo's treble is slightly more tamed in this respect - I'd say it's more well suited for the kind of genres I listen to (Jazz, electronic, & soundtracks).
No doubt, portability-wise Cobalt is more manageable. You also don't need to manage the heat and battery.
But in the sound department, Mojo still superior in my opinion, plus it doesn't cost that much more than a Cobalt nowadays.

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #335 of 1,192
Prefer larger footprint and extra expense of Chord Mojo, but age of smartphone makes thumb drive size amp/dac devices highly appealing. Gushing reviews in retrospect make me smile. A-B devices yourself with your gear. Bombarded with information and reviews
that seem little more than cloaked ads for manufacturers, we must parse the soft sell for what sounds best for our situation. The Cobalt, while good for what it is, is nonetheless limited in the files it can process at their native resolution. Nothing bad about any file regardless of resolution, if it meets ones needs.

Aug 7, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #336 of 1,192
Got the cobalt yesterday and it is a definite noticeable improvement from the DFR i used to own. I have a bias, but i think i can agree with delancyst that although the cobalt gets much closer to the mojo, i still think the mojo has a unique smooth gooey sound that i always reach for. At this point, im tempted to just do a 3 way comparison with the cobalt / mojo / ifi micro idsd black label with my Focal Stellias and my rookie set of ears

Aug 7, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #337 of 1,192
At this point, im tempted to just do a 3 way comparison with the cobalt / mojo / ifi micro idsd black label with my Focal Stellias and my rookie set of ears

Oh yeah, make it so Number One. Be waiting on your results. Rookie ears be damned.....lol... ; ) I have the Micro iDSD BL also and the COBALT too of course.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #338 of 1,192
Will it deliver MQA audio via iPhone in TIDAL HIFI App?

I understand there is currently issue using USBC on the current iPad Pro. Hopefully new Apple iOS 13 will fix the restrictions.

Aug 10, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #340 of 1,192
Hi, I would like to use the DFC as a dac/amp for my headphones and as a dac for my home system (PC > DFC > AMP > SPEAKERS), but I'm worried about the clipping measured by Archimago.
Is it a good solution to set the volume at 98% instead of 100%? Or should I buy a DFR?

Aug 10, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #341 of 1,192
The DFC may be a great portable DAC/AMP, but there are so many more superior options for your home system at a lower cost. The Schiit Modi 3 and Modi Multibit, and the SMSL SU-8 to name a few. If you are planning on yanking the DFC out of your home system for use on the go then your options are more limited. I would recommend the DF Black for on the go use and a more suitable DAC for your home system.

Aug 10, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #342 of 1,192
IOS beta released. Anyone on it, please let me know if iPad Pro USB-C connection now works with Cobalt using Audioquest supplied USBC adapter cable?

If it does, I will order it straight away.

I cannot risk Beta on my iPad Pro due to work software.

Aug 10, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #343 of 1,192
The DFC may be a great portable DAC/AMP, but there are so many more superior options for your home system at a lower cost. The Schiit Modi 3 and Modi Multibit, and the SMSL SU-8 to name a few. If you are planning on yanking the DFC out of your home system for use on the go then your options are more limited. I would recommend the DF Black for on the go use and a more suitable DAC for your home system.
my "main system" is smartphone + headphones... on my couch. So I do not need a real "portable" system, but a dac/amp suitable for switching from smartphone + headphonre to amp + speakers; any suggestions?

Aug 10, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #344 of 1,192

@schsst Archimago's measurements, if I have understood correctly, highlighted a potential flaw that means the DFC might just be driven to clip (and therefore distort) if you listen to very heavily dynamically compressed music at 100% output. If you are concerned about this then setting output to 98% would appear to be sensible for peace of mind.
For the use case that you clearly stated, DAC / Amp for mobile use combined with DAC / Pre-amp at home, then the Dragonflies would be a good choice for an all-in-one solution, in my opinion, based on the many positive reviews of the whole range especially if, like me, you value a small form factor and no battery for mobile use.
In most real-world listening scenarios, most reviews, whether from professional reviewers, who may or may not be critically biased depending on your worldview, or impressions from experienced hobbyists on here, suggest that the DFC represents a step up in performance over the DFR and the DFB. In most reviews that I have read so far (I haven't heard any of the Dragonflies so can't give an opinion, although I am interested in hearing the DFC), where the reviewer has compared across the range, the DFC tends to be preferred. Whether that apparent improvement is worth the additional cost of the DFC over the others is a matter only for you and your wallet.
I would not, and personally will not, be put off by the measurements but understand that for some people measured performance is everything. Try and listen to one in use as a home hifi DAC / Pre-amp and make up your own mind how it sounds. If you are U.S.-based then Todd the Vinyl Junky (TTVJ) is running a loaner programme, with a thread on here that may be of interest.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #345 of 1,192
Could you be any more unhelpful to a new Head-fi member? I doubt.
@schsst Archimago's measurements, if I have understood correctly, highlighted a potential flaw that means the DFC might just be driven to clip (and therefore distort) if you listen to very heavily dynamically compressed music at 100% output. If you are concerned about this then setting output to 98% would appear to be sensible for peace of mind.
For the use case that you clearly stated, DAC / Amp for mobile use combined with DAC / Pre-amp at home, then the Dragonflies would be a good choice for an all-in-one solution, in my opinion, based on the many positive reviews of the whole range especially if, like me, you value a small form factor and no battery for mobile use.
In most real-world listening scenarios, most reviews, whether from professional reviewers, who may or may not be critically biased depending on your worldview, or impressions from experienced hobbyists on here, suggest that the DFC represents a step up in performance over the DFR and the DFB. In most reviews that I have read so far (I haven't heard any of the Dragonflies so can't give an opinion, although I am interested in hearing the DFC), where the reviewer has compared across the range, the DFC tends to be preferred. Whether that apparent improvement is worth the additional cost of the DFC over the others is a matter only for you and your wallet.
I would not, and personally will not, be put off by the measurements but understand that for some people measured performance is everything. Try and listen to one in use as a home hifi DAC / Pre-amp and make up your own mind how it sounds. If you are U.S.-based then Todd the Vinyl Junky (TTVJ) is running a loaner programme, with a thread on here that may be of interest.
I don't think you are being fair here, sorry, not trying to be mean, but you really laid into a member who while you may not have agreed with his input, or felt it would have been helpful to you, from what I read he was genuinely trying to be helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back