DR DRE STUDIO BEATS . GOOD OR NOT?
Dec 10, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #16 of 134
I love my Grados but I don't think I would recommend them for someone that listens to bass. I think you will be disappointed by the lack of boomy bass. I really like my Beyerdynamic 770/80 Pro's for the fantastic bass they have but they lack in the midrange which for the music I like doesn't work so well. I don't listen to rap at all so I don't know how important midrange is, but the highs are good and the bass is great. Much more controlled than Beats can manage but still can get way down low and boomy if needed. 

Dec 12, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #17 of 134

Quote:
sometimes I wonder if people who ask these questions are trolling us, and then I go to work and am forced to say that the beats headphones are the best we have (because the rest is cheapo crap). So I help in creating these people.

If you warmth: get grados. if you want accurate mids and highs: get sennheisers. if you want the best F#$# driver for the cheapest price: get the fostex t50rp. Beats sound like you are in a cholo car with 200 amp subwoofers and cardboard speakers. that is all.

I'm fairly new to audiophile headphones. I've owned Sennheisers in the past and have always found them to be quite warm, a lot of people on these forums say Sennheisers are warm whereas Grado has accurate mids and treble. Which way around is it?

Dec 12, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #19 of 134
Go on craigslist.  Every other add in electronics is someone trying to sell these things.  There has to be a reason.  In 260 adds in my area about 80 of them were selling some form of Beats headphones.   

Dec 12, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #20 of 134

Quote:
let's just say my $80 klipsch s4's sound better than beats for less than 1/4 the price

actually if the beats studio were the same price as the klipsch s4s, I would choose the beat studio.  To me, the beats studio are more fun with it's bass.
biggrin.gif
  I probable have different taste from you.

Dec 12, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #21 of 134
The Beats have lashings of woolly, bloated, overblown and crap bass (Yes, I've listened to them on a couple of occasions). The build quality is also rubbish for the price. Style over quality in every aspect IMO.

Dec 12, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #22 of 134
I gotta say though, the new tron beats look pretty awesome.
The little "Daft punk" logo, makes me wanna buy it so bad.
I might buy it for that sole reason.

Dec 12, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #23 of 134
They sound good. They get a lot of bad press in places like this, generally because the people on here, as well as us being snobs in general, know that for the money, there is better.

If you are set on a pair of the Beats By Dre, pay a little more and get the Beats Pro. They are £50 more expensive but the build quality and sound performance are much, much better. The Studio come with noise cancelling and require a battery too, but these aren't the best for blocking out sound and I'm sure with the right source, the Pro would do just as good a job.

Dec 12, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #24 of 134

No snobbery about it...bad sound is bad sound...no matter what label you choose to put on it. Beats just sound bad. Period.
Quote:
They sound good.

Dec 12, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #25 of 134
No snobbery here at all either (crikey - I consider Jecklin Floats to be decent headphones and look at the state of them - the Beats are poor in comparison to my ears). It's as simple as if they actually sounded good, I'd be scouring eBay for a cheap pair. Buy they don't, so I'm not. The Beats Studios look good, but that's it as far as I'm concerned. I've not heard the Pros so can't comment on them.

I defy anyone with a fully functional set of ears to find them better sounding than similarly priced headphones that aren't marketed as much more than a fashion accessory that happens to make sounds.

Dec 12, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #26 of 134

Quote:
They sound good. They get a lot of bad press in places like this, generally because the people on here, as well as us being snobs in general, know that for the money, there is better.

If you are set on a pair of the Beats By Dre, pay a little more and get the Beats Pro. They are £50 more expensive but the build quality and sound performance are much, much better. The Studio come with noise cancelling and require a battery too, but these aren't the best for blocking out sound and I'm sure with the right source, the Pro would do just as good a job.

The beats pro to my ear sounded worse then the studio. The Studio sounded like $100 headphones, but after you take in consideration the mark up, the NC, the Cable, and the advertisming you can see why they are $300.

They don't sound bad, they are definately better then most of what the consumers will hear but are they worth $300, I don't think so.

Dec 12, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #29 of 134
Until you realize that they are too uncomfortable to wear.  SQ will go a decent way, but if it doesn't have the comfort to back it up, it's not worth its weight in salt. The Dre Beats are at least comfortable for extended periods of wear.

Dec 12, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #30 of 134
When I first tried these @ Best Buy, I thought they were alright in terms of comfort and SQ. After much more testing, I found the comfort to hurt since they felt like they were squeezing my head. Sound wise, I felt the harshness and the overbloated sound. Then I saw the price, and I couldn't justify spending over $100 for these.

I think I get about the same amount of bass from my Sony XB500 and the sound doesn't feel overbloated. And at 1/4 the price of the beats, I can't complain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back