DR DRE STUDIO BEATS . GOOD OR NOT?
Dec 8, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #2 of 134

[size=medium]
I have a friend who mostly listens to hiphop.  She did some research when buying headphones and shelled out for beats.  The $400 ones, I think.  She tried my Shure SRH750DJ headphones yesterday.  She thinks they sound really good.  Don't know what you want to make of that, but I think it's a good starting point.

While Shure is a relatively new player in headphone market, they're well proven in IEMs, mics, rack-mount mixers, and other pro-audio gear.  These guys don't mess around, and the quality is excellent.  They expect professionals to use and like their equipment, and design it with that in mind.

Contrast this with Monster, also relatively new to the headphone market.  Monster makes a living by selling overpriced cables to people, claiming that they'll make an "unbelievable" difference.  The actual difference is virtually unmeasurable, and sometimes Monster is worse than no-name cables.  On top of this, they're paying Dr. Dre for the use of his name, and passing the "savings" on to you.

In short, who would you go with?  The no nonsense pro-audio company with a proven record?  Or the retail, overpriced cable company?

I'm sure this argument applies to many others, not just Shure vs. Monster.  This is why The Beats don't get any love around here.

P.S. As an example of monster "Quality," take their DVI-HDMI adaptors.  I was doing near-field EMI testing of a DVI-HDMI link recently and found that the worst leak in the entire chain was the DVI-HDMI adaptor.  After more inspection, it turned out that Monster DVI-HDMI adaptors leak worse than any others we had, including several unbranded ones.  Of course we had several pro-video ones in the mix.  Just another example of how pro electronics will beat out "high-end" retail electronics almost every time.
[/size]

Dec 8, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #3 of 134
They're alright for $200 headphones I'd say, however last time I checked they were $400, at least here in Canada. There are far better choices out there, you've just gotta do some digging.

Dec 9, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 134
i gave them a listen at best buy. they are beautiful, they have a LOT of bass. the highs were really harsh. the mid-range was mediocre and flat(or maybe the bass was covering the mids up, i don't know). they are very expensive for the sound quality you get. if i could sum it all up, i would say, take your typical boom car with the ear piercing highs, and strap that sound to your ears. i would have given a more detailed summarization, but i did not want to leave them on my head for more than a couple of minutes. if you like them and want them, do what's gonna make you happy.

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 134
I THINK THAT THEY ARE DEFINITELY WORTH IT FOR YOUR MONEY, YOU SHOULD PICK THEM UP IN A WEEK. WHY ARE YOUR AND MY POSTS IN ALL CAPS BUT EVERYONE ELSE'S HAS NORMAL PUNCTUATION AND CAPITALIZATION? THAT'S WEIRD.

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #8 of 134
Yeah chill OP. Caps makes it seem like people are being screamed at.

Also, one of these threads gets posted every single day..... 

To make the long story short. If you're set on buying them, stop reading this thread because its just going to hurt you after you get them. If you're open to not purchasing them, keep reading it because everyone will tell you its a waste of money. Which it is. 

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #9 of 134
If there is something about the beats studio you don't like then people here can help try to find that for you, but if there is nothing about them that you don't like, then you should go for them.  I find there bass to be fun, punchy, and has good energy for hip hop.  Also just keep in mind that most here, their priority is sound quality first so some of these headphones may not be all that much of a looker. Also headfier's judge sound quality more critically and analytically than the general consumer, so what may be acceptable to you my not be to headfier. 

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #11 of 134

Don't listen to him OP, he's "taking the piss" as you Brits call it. A lot of people here would agree when I say you could get much better headphones at that price.

EDIT: I'm allowed to say "piss" on these forums, right? If not then I'll be happy to edit it out.

Quote:
I THINK THAT THEY ARE DEFINITELY WORTH IT FOR YOUR MONEY, YOU SHOULD PICK THEM UP IN A WEEK. WHY ARE YOUR AND MY POSTS IN ALL CAPS BUT EVERYONE ELSE'S HAS NORMAL PUNCTUATION AND CAPITALIZATION? THAT'S WEIRD.

Dec 10, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #12 of 134
sometimes I wonder if people who ask these questions are trolling us, and then I go to work and am forced to say that the beats headphones are the best we have (because the rest is cheapo crap). So I help in creating these people.

If you warmth: get grados. if you want accurate mids and highs: get sennheisers. if you want the best F#$# driver for the cheapest price: get the fostex t50rp. Beats sound like you are in a cholo car with 200 amp subwoofers and cardboard speakers. that is all.

Dec 10, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #13 of 134
sorry about the 'caps', and what model of grado's would you suggest for the budget i have £250?

i am after a really nice looking set, with good bass ( as i listen to hiphop, rock and trance)

hope you guys can help

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #14 of 134
For those genres, get yourself the Sennheiser HD25-1 ii, the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro, the Beyerdynamic DT770 32-Ohm, or the Shure 750DJ.  How portable are you hoping for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back