Dr. Dre Beats Solo vs. MS-1
Oct 29, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 13
I havent heard either, so i'd only take mt opinion with a grain of salt, but the ms-1s have a MUCH higher reputation around here than the beats solo. Also, alessandros and grados are known for being exellent headphones for rock/metal. 

Oct 29, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 13
MS1i's sure do excel when listening to Rock, Metal, or ANY kind of guitar..

Geez,  you should listen to Buddy guy thru these OH MAN..

Grado are also a guitar company..  
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #4 of 13
Absolutely no comparison. The MS1i are often referred to as the best bang for buck headphone you can buy, whereas it's the complete opposite for the beats by dre. I prefer my MS1i to my HD600 for fast music (yes, with the HD600 properly amped). Even if you have a bigger budget, the MS1i is an awesome choice for rock music.

Oct 30, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #6 of 13
MS-1....but if u like undefined, muddy bass and bass that overpowers all the highs and mids then go  with beats lol

Oct 30, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #7 of 13
Are we talking MS1i or no just MS1

Oct 30, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #9 of 13

MS1 on the left                                        

Oct 30, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #10 of 13
I just got me MS1i today,
and think it was okay.
A cheap SJ5 will K.O. it.
Don't know why it is a big deal here.
Maybe I don't like open headphones.

Oct 30, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #11 of 13
@Tanjent
... Right. Both both are better than Beats so what does it matter?

I'm saying that I'm not comparing  MS-1 to MS-1i. I'm comparing MS-1(i) to Beats, in which I has been stated above, there is no comparison. MS-1(i)'s win hands down.

Oct 30, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #13 of 13
Forget the Beats. If you're looking for best bang for buck cans you should be looking at the MS-1i or ATH-M50. Open vs closed respectively.

I find the MS-1i highly engaging with its in your face attack and crunch. It's great for most genres, not just rock. If you're used to muddy overpowering bass you may think the MS-1i is lacking in this regard but I quite like its mid bass punch and precision.

If you're looking for deeper bass the M50 offers that in spades, without being boomy or muddy (I experienced this refinement after a hundred or so hours of burn in). I find the drums in particular to have great presence as a result. The highs are prominent but clear and mids are flat. These cans are a lot less colored than the MS-1i but do sound very good when you take value into account.

I liken the MS-1i to a great live gig in a small venue where the energy of the music is palpable. The M50 more like being in a club. It'll be a matter of preference but many here will agree you can't really go wrong with either of these as a starting point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back