Dr. Chesky's Ultimate Headphone Demonstration Disc - Head-Fi TV
Apr 25, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #16 of 189
What format is the best? Flac?

IMO, from an SQ perspective, they all sound the same.  Flac and WAV are smaller size files if that makes a difference. Then just make sure your player accepts your chosen format.

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #17 of 189
What format is the best? Flac?

Some people will argue over the formats, but long story short: they're all lossless and should sound the same. 

Overly simplified:

WAV - Uncompressed lossless
AIFF - Uncompressed lossless, adds additional meta that WAV can't store
FLAC - Losslessly compressed for Windows
ALAC - Losslessly compressed for Mac

Personally, I store my whole collection in a losslessly compressed format (ALAC) so I get the full sound without all the additional hard disk requirement. There's really no data loss—think of zipping a folder. You unzip it and all the info is there. 

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #18 of 189
Wow, I had no idea music could sound this good. This is my first 192/24 download and I truly hope HIDEF music takes off because after listening to this I will not be able to go back. 

Apr 25, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #19 of 189
Wow, I had no idea music could sound this good. This is my first 192/24 download and I truly hope HIDEF music takes off because after listening to this I will not be able to go back. 

It's not the high definition that makes it sound good....
And this is exactly why I made my previous post: HD formats make no audible difference to the end listener.

Apr 25, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #20 of 189

It's primarily the binaural recording that makes this music so sweet.

Apr 25, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #21 of 189
Anything that compresses uses software that makes up,data witha data recovery software type . So short answer is you loose your data even though you think you do not. I always download wav and store . And convert to flac to play. Also there is a flac without compression as well. That is what I use to play. I am not saying I can hear it but why would I remove data for space with music I just paid for In a loss less file .
Al

Apr 25, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #22 of 189
Is there a reason for purchasing flagship headphones (over a $1000) if I can purchase uncompressed binaural recording? I uses my HD800 then my ED8. My jaw dropped listening to both.

Apr 25, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #23 of 189
Will purchase this album later tonight.  I was hoping that Jude would spend more time talking about the Sony NW-ZX1 walkman.  I own the ZX1 personally and I've found it to be an excellent portable source (both sound quality, design, and features) especially with higher end CIEMs.  Given that the AK240 gets an entire episode dedicated to it, I sure hope that the ZX1 and other higher ends DAP will receive some more air time on the future episodes.

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #24 of 189
Is there a reason for purchasing flagship headphones (over a $1000) if I can purchase uncompressed binaural recording? I uses my HD800 then my ED8. My jaw dropped listening to both.

Limited binaural recordings available.

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #25 of 189
Just bought the album, and now i can tell which headphones i own has the deepest depth and height.Thank you head fi for the special offer.

Apr 26, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #29 of 189
Just bought it with the discount code yesterday... Thank You!

Unfortunately, I got the "Apple Lossless Audio Format" (ALAF) at 96 kHz/24 bit, thinking "Apple" meant "iTunes" and I could listen to it on my iPod. It runs on iTunes on my PC but I get complaints that my iPod does not support that sampling rate. 

So I converted it to standard iTunes formant (256 kBps VBR, a lossy format that in past experiments I cannot distinguish from uncompressed).

Is there a lower bit rate uncompressed format I should use instead?  Can iTunes make that conversion?

Anyway, sounds absolutely revelational!  Good job, Cheskys!

Apr 26, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #30 of 189
  Just bought it with the discount code yesterday... Thank You!

Unfortunately, I got the "Apple Lossless Audio Format" (ALAF) at 96 kHz/24 bit, thinking "Apple" meant "iTunes" and I could listen to it on my iPod. It runs on iTunes on my PC but I get complaints that my iPod does not support that sampling rate. 

So I converted it to standard iTunes formant (256 kBps VBR, a lossy format that in past experiments I cannot distinguish from uncompressed).

Is there a lower bit rate uncompressed format I should use instead?  Can iTunes make that conversion?

Anyway, sounds absolutely revelational!  Good job, Cheskys!

This might help you...

File FormatFile TypeAssociated WithCompatible with iPod?
MP3AudioOpen*Yes
AACAudioAppleYes
WMAAudioMicrosoftNo
AIFF**AudioOpenYes
WAV**AudioOpenYes
M4AAudioAppleYes
M4PAudioAppleYes
Ogg**AudioOpenNo
FLACAudioOpenNo
RA/RAMAudioReal NetworksNo
H.264VideoOpenYes
MP4VideoOpenYes