Dr. Chesky's Ultimate Headphone Demonstration Disc - Head-Fi TV
Apr 28, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #46 of 189
I hope viewers don't fall into the whole HD/high resolution trap. HD audio (16+ bit/44.1+ kHz) provides no benefits to the end listener...so there's no point in wasting your money on the highest resolutions in that regard. The music itself (recording and mastering) is great on the other hand, and that matters far more than the resolution of the file, if that even makes an audible difference.

I also highly recommend Ottmar Liebert's "Up Close" album, which is another binaural album. I bought both the 16/44.1 and 24/96 versions of the album; don't waste your money on the HD version as it doesn't provide any sonic benefits over the Red Book standard version upon blind tests.

411x%2BdolmFL._SY300_.jpg

I just got the new Chesky 24/96 album with the discount, thanks Jude!

I might be tempted in buying the 16/44 version and do the abx comparison on Foobar although I gotta figure how that's going to play with the drivers or if WASAPI and Foobar takes care of the bit and sample rate swaps automatically (?).

There were some people at the Seattle meet that swears upon high-res though, although DSD rips so maybe those make a difference vs red book.

Apr 28, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #47 of 189
I recording that is pretty incredible as well is the Ultrasone testing CD, rare as hell if you intend to buy it.

I've got the chesky stuff that came on the FiiO X3 which is pretty decent. Sadly, I rarely ever would consider listening to the albums as I don't enjoy them much musically despite their recording quality - especially consider the oft jumbles of binaural tricks, genres and demonstrations. The only one I listen to plenty is Up Close as mentioned earlier.

Apr 28, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #49 of 189
Yeah go ahead, talk down to me like you know my music taste
rolleyes.gif
(and also dismissing genres - mind you a binaural progressive/psy-trance album would be mind blowing)

Many of the binaural demo albums have some good music on them, but they have a number of demonstrations of mic placements, talking in your ears, shaver etc which I'm not interested in except for a single listen or two. I enjoy binaural albums if the thing is a full performance of music not randomly assorted things with occasional tracks with no common genres. Those demo tracks do nothing for me musically.

Mind you cheskys other released albums may be to my liking, just not demostration discs usually. I'm not knocking Jazz, Acoustic, World or Classical at all.

Apr 28, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #50 of 189
What? I was agreeing with you and making a joke. I didn't mean to cause offence.

I don't like any of the music on the last Chesky album. I pretty much only listen to electronic music.

Apr 28, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #51 of 189
  Yeah go ahead, talk down to me like you know my music taste
rolleyes.gif
(and also dismissing genres - mind you a binaural progressive/psy-trance album would be mind blowing)

Many of the binaural demo albums have some good music on them, but they have a number of demonstrations of mic placements, talking in your ears, shaver etc which I'm not interested in except for a single listen or two. I enjoy binaural albums if the thing is a full performance of music not randomly assorted things with occasional tracks with no common genres. Those demo tracks do nothing for me musically.

Mind you cheskys other released albums may be to my liking, just not demostration discs usually. I'm not knocking Jazz, Acoustic, World or Classical at all.

Well, here's something that's not really (not at all) trance / house ...or classical...or jazz...or rock / pop for that matter that I did back in 2012.

This is from the Ann Arbor Kirtan Holiday Kirtan and as such features a lot of call-and-response chants (there were about 75 people in the (relatively) small room with the performers up-front.This isn't a true acoustic-only recording however as the musicians used a small P.A. system, but still, listening to these (with headphones...of course) can be pretty trance-like (the effect, not the genre).

I kept the track-to-track gain the same as the actual performance so that the relative dynamics of each piece unto themselves (and relative to the others) would be maintained; the tracks progress from rather quiet to pretty loud, and then ramp back down again in terms of level and energy as the Kirtan winds its way to a close.

These tracks contain binaural (mostly) but also have a a little bit of conventional two-microphone-based stereo mixed in as well. I think the player on the page times-out after something like 15 minutes, but you can download each track. I think these are 320 kbps mp3. Check it out:

http://kirtanannarbor.org/ann-arbor-holiday-kirtan-2012

These may not necessarily be for everyone...but...they are different from the norm.

Apr 28, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #52 of 189
Sorry... I took the rolled eyes as being sarcastic. Feel like a idiot
triportsad.gif

Apr 28, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #53 of 189
  Sorry... I took the rolled eyes as being sarcastic. Feel like a idiot
triportsad.gif

That's alright. I was being sarcastic, but not in the way you meant - what I meant was that we will never get a Chesky album in this style with electronic music because electronic music isn't recorded. As nice as it would be, what I suggested was tongue in cheek because it is nonsensical.

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #54 of 189
iDevices can read 24/88, but they are downsampled to 16/44.1.

Didn't know that.  Is this what Apple states?  Got a link?

I thought by play you meant would "work" rather than "play without down-sampling".  Not that any self-respecting Head-Fier uses an iDevice as an analogue source anyway right?

Still in relation to this CD and the whole Hi-Fi debate I'm saying you can always buy high and down-sample yourself if you need to and don't mind the storage.  There may come a time when you want the high quality version again.

But yeah, 192 KHz is overkill for me personally but I'll take 96.  I wish I had better equipment!

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #55 of 189
Anything that compresses uses software that makes up,data witha data recovery software type . So short answer is you loose your data even though you think you do not. I always download wav and store . And convert to flac to play. Also there is a flac without compression as well. That is what I use to play. I am not saying I can hear it but why would I remove data for space with music I just paid for In a loss less file .
Al

I don't even know where to start here...

Apr 28, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #56 of 189

That's alright. I was being sarcastic, but not in the way you meant - what I meant was that we will never get a Chesky album in this style with electronic music because electronic music isn't recorded. As nice as it would be, what I suggested was tongue in cheek because it is nonsensical.

How about Yosi Horikawa?  His tracked are based on recorded sounds and binaural, I think.  https://soundcloud.com/yosi-horikawa 

Apr 28, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #57 of 189

How about Yosi Horikawa?  His tracked are based on recorded sounds, I think.  https://soundcloud.com/yosi-horikawa 

Duuuuuuuuude! Yosi Horikawa makes some awesome music!

"Wandering" and "Bubbles" are my favourite tracks from his EP album. I'm not sure if they're recorded with binaural microphones, but they sound pretty convincing to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back