Douk Audio U2 Pro DDC - Poorman DDC for an affordable & clean digital signal
Dec 26, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #451 of 583
Thanks I was looking at that, I'll get one. But no sure what is meant by TDA1541 in simultaneous mode
I2S data line is multiplexed (for left and right channel). Here there are two separate lines, no internal buffering, half clock speed, in result lower jitter. Getting top performance out of the TDA1541. See more:
https://www.audialonline.com/blog/tda1541a-and-model-s-usb-part-2-simultaneous-data-mode/

Of course, there is also I2S mode for TDA1541, even two. One with internal clock, another with external.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #452 of 583
That DOOK thing deserves an affordable but solid linear PSU from china, with the blue or light green encapsulated in plastic transformer. I have one with regulable voltage and a display. Was well under 100€, closer to 50€ than to 100€. 5V is regular USB power, so I could be able to use the one I already own, which has two or 3 energy outputs.
Could you link to this power supply? Looking to get one with adjustable voltage.

Jan 5, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #455 of 583
I changed my mind and installed Crystek oscillators. Immediate change. Now I cannot recognise a difference between direct USB on R2R-11 and USB - - - > U2Pro - - - > Coax - - - > R2R-11. This is very promising, it can only improve, as these oscilators require 500 hours burning.

If you can DIY, it is $15 upgrade. Can recommend it already, no need waiting for burning.
Do you have a link to the Crystek oscillators?
U2 Pro sounds pretty mediocre and vailed, I2S or Coax. I cannot return it so might as well mod it..

Jan 5, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #456 of 583
I'm looking for a good one now again, too. I recently moved my U2 pro to a different setup and I can not figure out what drivers I used that allowed 24/384 bitrate but every one I'm finding "only" allows 24/192.
Ya it’s pretty annoying they don’t support it online. Already returned it lol. Guess onto trying a different DDC.

Jan 5, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #457 of 583
Do you have a link to the Crystek oscillators?
U2 Pro sounds pretty mediocre and vailed, I2S or Coax. I cannot return it so might as well mod it..
This post.

Jan 8, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #458 of 583
TL;DR. I decided to purchase U2Pro when I was still battling with ground loops on my laptop. My Audio GD R2R-11 on the USB connection could sound very good or wrong. I have already upgraded Amanero module with Crystek oscilators with great improvements, I could feel high-end sound coming out from this DAC, but it was still setup dependant. Kingwa put in the DAC one of the best S/PDIF chip - Wolfson WM-8805 and many R2R-11 users reported it sounds better than on the USB port. So I wanted to try...

When U2Pro arrived, a terrible noise leak was already sorted out (laptop itself was causing it). As reported before, U2Pro with Coax output brought even more stability to the setup. So U2Pro has proven a need for a DDC, but SQ didn't match USB with Crystek oscilators on Amanero board. I had an issue of no playing 176.4kHz files, it caused that I put aside original plans to upgrade oscilators on U2Pro.

I changed my mind and installed Crystek oscillators. Immediate change. Now I cannot recognise a difference between direct USB on R2R-11 and USB - - - > U2Pro - - - > Coax - - - > R2R-11. This is very promising, it can only improve, as these oscilators require 500 hours burning.

If you can DIY, it is $15 upgrade. Can recommend it already, no need waiting for burning.

I am glad I was not insane. My R2R-11 sounded better using USB input than my standard douk U2 pro DDC, and I was wondering why because I had been under the impression that coaxial was supposed to sound better. Since I have several others DACs many of which only taking coaxial input, I should try the femtosecond version of the DDC to upgrade my DACs !

Feb 9, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #460 of 583
Hey guys,

Which LPS do you recommend for Douk U2 Pro?
From AliExpress.
I plan to do the clock mod @sajunky did a few pages ago.
Can you help me too, please?

Thanks in advance,
Gui
I found an openbox of this one on Amz for $60 or $70. I'm using it barrel-to-barrel with a miniplug adapter, rather than with usb-to-mini plug.

HiFi 25W DC Linear Power Supply 5.1V 3.5A, Audiophile Regulated Converter Adapter, Upgrade for Raspberry pi 4 Model B -Solupeak​

It is a bit overkill for my situation. I'm using the optical connection to my Chord Hugo 2 DAC, and I could've saved some money just using a 5v switching charger to separate the power from the USB without much/any sonic deficit. Probably matters more for coax, but that connection sounded a lot worse on my setup.

I'm thinking about the clock mod, too. Please post your findings! Maybe I'll be glad for the LPS if I swap in the sensitive Crysteks.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #463 of 583
Just got the version with the Crystek CCHD-957 oscillators. A large step up over the standard version: more detailed, refined, greater sense of space, including acoustic decay and with better dynamics, transients and bass weight.

Check out my OTT semi-portable Douk-based rig! 😎

20230401_170542.jpg

Adding the Holo Audio Titanis USB regenerator/galvanic isolator takes it up the same level again - actually more I reckon - the effect is more than additive, it's synergistic with the Douk. The two together allow the Gryphon to play superbly refined, detailed and dynamic with a lovely black background and any trace of digital glare banished. If you can find one - they're in short supply - I highly recommend the Titanis which works equally well in front of the U18 DDC. I'm thinking seriously of getting a second one if I can find one.

The rig sounds indecently good for the money and is not a long way behind my Gustard R26 + OCK-2 based main system which is crazy for a semi-portable rig.

Apr 15, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #464 of 583
Just got the version with the Crystek CCHD-957 oscillators. A large step up over the standard version: more detailed, refined, greater sense of space, including acoustic decay and with better dynamics, transients and bass weight.

Check out my OTT semi-portable Douk-based rig! 😎

20230401_170542.jpg

Adding the Holo Audio Titanis USB regenerator/galvanic isolator takes it up the same level again - actually more I reckon - the effect is more than additive, it's synergistic with the Douk. The two together allow the Gryphon to play superbly refined, detailed and dynamic with a lovely black background and any trace of digital glare banished. If you can find one - they're in short supply - I highly recommend the Titanis which works equally well in front of the U18 DDC. I'm thinking seriously of getting a second one if I can find one.

The rig sounds indecently good for the money and is not a long way behind my Gustard R26 + OCK-2 based main system which is crazy for a semi-portable rig.

Apr 15, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #465 of 583
Hi, is your Crystek version also from Douk or is it from Leaf ot others? I tried standard version Douk just to hear what happens. For such low price it sounds impressive to my ears. You reported that the investment in better versions than standard is not useless spent money. I‘ll try. Thank you for your report. Hartmut

Users who are viewing this thread

Back