Douk Audio U2 Pro DDC - Poorman DDC for an affordable & clean digital signal
Dec 20, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #436 of 583
U2Pro has me interested for the Mojo 2 using toslink. I have m2tech hiface 2 but thats coax only, and I feel Mojo 2 does better with optical.. I just can't believe this u2pro brings such substantial improvements for the price, thats great.
I posted upthread a way back how the U2 Pro transformed my Ifi Gryphon. Soo much more resolving and dynamic fed by the Douk. Here it is…
Douk + Ifi xDSD Gryphon

On receiving the Douk U2Pro a few weeks back, I inserted it in between my Phone(s) (Samsung & Iphone) and my Ifi Gryphon xDSD (previously it was USB from phone to Gryphon), connecting via toslink into the Gryphon. The Douk is powered either via portable battery bank or a spare USB socket in my car. Music source is Tidal, either streamed via USB Audio Player Pro on the Samsung, or downloaded Tidal content on both.

The lift in performance - for both phones/all Tidal sources - is not subtle. It gives a great lift* to the sound, in terms of improvements to soundstaging and naturalness of note edges and decay in particular, but also micro and macro-dynamics and bass weight - and this is through my VW car stereo! Let alone through my Sennheiser or Hifiman headphones. It shows me that a fair bit of the raw capability of the Gryphon DAC and amp/line-out was untapped (I'd say 30-40%*) - fed via its USB input at least. I guess its USB section and reclocking/dejittering capability was understandably constrained given its price-point and physical dimensions. The combo now sounds far better than any quasi-portable rig or car stereo has any right to. The Douk has to be the best USD65 I've spent on audio.

@iFi audio - if you've not already done so with the Gryphon with the Douk or other DDCs, try it, it's quite an eye opener. Now if you could create a DDC in a compact form factor with rounded edges and a in-built battery for sub-USD250 I'd be in line...

*Edit- I initially wrote 'night and day' and 50% untapped potential/improvement etc, running from memory, then after a quick AB on my Hifiman HE400i's started second guessing myself, so moderated it a little to what I've written above. But on sustained listening and AB'ing across a range of music over the last half-hour, I think I was right first time. The addition of the Douk lifts the Gryphon into a completely different class.

Dec 20, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #437 of 583
I posted upthread a way back how the U2 Pro transformed my Ifi Gryphon. Soo much more resolving and dynamic fed by the Douk. Here it is…

I’ve tried the Gryphon out of some decrapifiers I have (ifi stream/m2 tech hiface) - there’s improvements but I didn’t hear them as massive compared to Mojo 2. I find the Gryph has stellar decrapifier built in, it always sounds good even direct out of noisy pc usb.

I might give the Douk a punt see what all the excitement is about

Dec 21, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #439 of 583
TL;DR. I decided to purchase U2Pro when I was still battling with ground loops on my laptop. My Audio GD R2R-11 on the USB connection could sound very good or wrong. I have already upgraded Amanero module with Crystek oscilators with great improvements, I could feel high-end sound coming out from this DAC, but it was still setup dependant. Kingwa put in the DAC one of the best S/PDIF chip - Wolfson WM-8805 and many R2R-11 users reported it sounds better than on the USB port. So I wanted to try...

When U2Pro arrived, a terrible noise leak was already sorted out (laptop itself was causing it). As reported before, U2Pro with Coax output brought even more stability to the setup. So U2Pro has proven a need for a DDC, but SQ didn't match USB with Crystek oscilators on Amanero board. I had an issue of no playing 176.4kHz files, it caused that I put aside original plans to upgrade oscilators on U2Pro.

I changed my mind and installed Crystek oscillators. Immediate change. Now I cannot recognise a difference between direct USB on R2R-11 and USB - - - > U2Pro - - - > Coax - - - > R2R-11. This is very promising, it can only improve, as these oscilators require 500 hours burning.

If you can DIY, it is $15 upgrade. Can recommend it already, no need waiting for burning.

Attachments

• IMG_20221221_152415.jpg
    IMG_20221221_152415.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #440 of 583
TL;DR. I decided to purchase U2Pro when I was still battling with ground loops on my laptop. My Audio GD R2R-11 on the USB connection could sound very good or wrong. I have already upgraded Amanero module with Crystek oscilators with great improvements, I could feel high-end sound coming out from this DAC, but it was still setup dependant. Kingwa put in the DAC one of the best S/PDIF chip - Wolfson WM-8805 and many R2R-11 users reported it sounds better than on the USB port. So I wanted to try...

When U2Pro arrived, a terrible noise leak was already sorted out (laptop itself was causing it). As reported before, U2Pro with Coax output brought even more stability to the setup. So U2Pro has proven a need for a DDC, but SQ didn't match USB with Crystek oscilators on Amanero board. I had an issue of no playing 176.4kHz files, it caused that I put aside original plans to upgrade oscilators on U2Pro.

Now, I changed my mind and installed Crystek oscillators. Immediate change. Now I cannot recognise a difference between direct USB on R2R-11 and USB - - - > U2Pro - - - > Coax - - - > R2R-11. This is very promising, it can only improve, as these oscilators require 500 hours burning.

If you can DIY, it is $15 upgrade. Can recommend it already, no need waiting for burning.
Good to hear! Did you compare it to Audio GD DI-20?

I am waiting on my NDK.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #441 of 583
Dec 21, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #442 of 583
Good to hear! Did you compare it to Audio GD DI-20?

I am waiting on my NDK.
Not, but may be someone on the DI-20 thread own U2Pro as well, ask. :)

You want to compare a poorman DDC with the best DDC on the planet! .LOL.

Dec 21, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #443 of 583
Not, but may be someone on the DI-20 thread own U2Pro as well, ask. :)

You want to compare a poorman DDC with the best DDC on the planet! .LOL.
Douk is a solid choice. With better clock and power supply, I think the gap won't be big.
At least for me, it reaches the point of diminishing returns. I'd keep the Douk and spend the money on other stuff.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #444 of 583
Douk is a solid choice. With better clock and power supply, I think the gap won't be big.
At least for me, it reaches the point of diminishing returns. I'd keep the Douk and spend the money on other stuff.
To be honest, I am not sure what is better: get a better DAC and save on DDC (ie. with U2Pro) or get better DDC, saving on a DAC, sorry.

I think pairing equipment of the same class brings the best results, but I can be wrong.

Dec 21, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #445 of 583
To be honest, I am not sure what is better: get a better DAC and save on DDC (ie. with U2Pro) or get better DDC, saving on a DAC, sorry.

I think pairing equipment of the same class brings the best results, but I can be wrong.
For me, "pairing the same class" means performance, not cost.
It is easy for DDC (such as the Douk) to do 130db (or whatever other metric you like), harder for DAC, and etremely hard or impossible for speakers.
When you connect them, the overall performance is determined by the weakest component.
In order to improve the overall performance, one should spend more money on speakers > DAC > DDC.

Just my 2 cents.

Dec 21, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #446 of 583
What are examples of DACs and/or speakers are you considering, and/or likely to partner the Douk with if you got it? As once one goes much beyond say $1k on a DAC, the differences between the Douk, SU6 and U18 (all of which I have, and there are differences) become inreasingly worthwhile / justifiable to eke the most out of one’s system…

Dec 22, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #447 of 583
For me, "pairing the same class" means performance, not cost.
It is easy for DDC (such as the Douk) to do 130db (or whatever other metric you like), harder for DAC, and etremely hard or impossible for speakers.
I do mean sound quality, not a measuring performance in xxxdB. I agree that measurements of speakers bring very little.

Balance a result with predictivity or repeatibility. R2R-11 has a problem in this respect, as doesn't have galvanic isolation on USB port. U2Pro helps, but doesn't solve this.

Dec 26, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #448 of 583
I have one on order to try toslink and coax with my mojo, but I also hope to replace the amanero on my diy TDA1541 / tube DAC. Anyone know the pin out that Douk use for I2S over hdmi? I need to wire a connector up to the chip. I found a pin out on the Gustard 26 brochure but I understand there is no standard. This what I indend to use for the connector.
hdmi
Sec19dfdf86b64753959a4ef51ea3c9b7b.jpg

Dec 26, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #449 of 583
I have one on order to try toslink and coax with my mojo, but I also hope to replace the amanero on my diy TDA1541 / tube DAC. Anyone know the pin out that Douk use for I2S over hdmi? I need to wire a connector up to the chip. I found a pin out on the Gustard 26 brochure but I understand there is no standard. This what I indend to use for the connector.
hdmi
Sec19dfdf86b64753959a4ef51ea3c9b7b.jpg
It is de-facto industrial standard using LVDS signalling (differential), so standard HDMI cables can be used. U2Pro pin-out follows PS Audio DACs, see a photo on the post #1 of this thread. Note, there is a typo: BLACK should read BCLK. Gustard is different, (from your photo), has reversed pins 1-3 and 7-9, but perhaps can be alligned to PSAudio version in the setup.

For your DIY project you need a LVDS converter chip, (not a big deal), there are also older versions that produce TTL level. Interfacing with TDA1541 is somehow tricky, as it requires serial data or a clock in slightly different format than I2S. It needs a glue logic.

Considering all above, I suggest product from jlsound.com called I2SOverUSB. For €70 you get:

- XMOS based USB receiver,
- fully licensed Thesycon driver
- galvanic isolation
- NDK ultra low jitter clocks
- support for TDA1541
- flexible power configuration
- S/PDIF output (in the version II, not sure about v. III)

It is a good product, ideal for DIY. Almost plug and play.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #450 of 583
It is de-facto industrial standard using LVDS signalling (differential), so standard HDMI cables can be used. U2Pro pin-out follows PS Audio DACs, see a photo on the post #1 of this thread. Note, there is a typo: BLACK should read BCLK. Gustard is different, (from your photo), has reversed pins 1-3 and 7-9, but perhaps can be alligned to PSAudio version in the setup.

For your DIY project you need a LVDS converter chip, (not a big deal), there are also older versions that produce TTL level. Interfacing with TDA1541 is somehow tricky, as it requires serial data or a clock in slightly different format than I2S. It needs a glue logic.

Considering all above, I suggest product from jlsound.com called I2SOverUSB. For €70 you get:

- XMOS based USB receiver,
- fully licensed Thesycon driver
- galvanic isolation
- NDK ultra low jitter clocks
- support for TDA1541
- flexible power configuration
- S/PDIF output (in the version II, not sure about v. III)

It is a good product, ideal for DIY. Almost plug and play.
Thanks I was looking at that, I'll get one. But not sure what is meant by TDA1541 in simultaneous mode.
Found lots here: audial

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back