[Double Review] Etymotic HF3 & Sony XBA-3, with appearances from the Vsonic GR07 MKII
Nov 5, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #76 of 106
Quote:
I would agree with Eke on the vocals and treble in regards to the Gr07 MKII and the XBA3. I actually prefer the harsher treble of the XBA3 which is why I never kept the MKII very long. As for sub bass I think they are pretty similar going from memory but the XBA3 has a bit more mid-bass which may mask the sub-bass. This isn't to say it has a mid-bass hump like a lot of other IEM's but it does have more mid-bass presence than the GR07.
Technically speaking I would also agree with Eke that each of the IEM's he reviewed are good options depending on what you want. Each has it's own merits and weaknesses regardless of price.

Thanks dweaver.

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #77 of 106
Not sure if this thread is dead yet but this seems like the perfect place to ask my question

I just bought my first audiophile grade headphones, AKG Q701's, and love the sound I get from them, especially since I love classical music. I've had my eyes on purchasing a pair of IEM's as well, and I keep seeing Etymotic and the Vsonic GR07 show up as well regarded around here.

So my question is which of these iems would be best for my taste of music? I've heard Etymotic has a shallow sound stage, and I greatly appreciate the large soundstage I get from my Q701's

Thanks for any input

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #81 of 106
At one point I was considering getting the Vsonic GR07, then the HF5 and finally I got the Xba 3, not because of it sound, but because of its price and availability, I bought the xba 3 directly from sony for like 115 dollars or so (1500 mexican pesos). I'm still waiting, but I think that in the end the peace of mind that knowing that I got the local warranty from none less than sony and the fact that I have to wait less beats any soundstage or detail. Just my 2 cents. I have auditioned the xba 4 out of a walkman z and I heard a lot of the metallic tinge and sibilance that I didn't hear in my B2.

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #82 of 106
Quote:
At one point I was considering getting the Vsonic GR07, then the HF5 and finally I got the Xba 3, not because of it sound, but because of its price and availability, I bought the xba 3 directly from sony for like 115 dollars or so (1500 mexican pesos). I'm still waiting, but I think that in the end the peace of mind that knowing that I got the local warranty from none less than sony and the fact that I have to wait less beats any soundstage or detail. Just my 2 cents. I have auditioned the xba 4 out of a walkman z and I heard a lot of the metallic tinge and sibilance that I didn't hear in my B2.

No worries, you're really not missing much. That price is fantastic too.

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #83 of 106
Great review.
While you did declare these 3 iems as equals, you didn't talk about comfort. From my experience, the xba3's are kinda uncomfortable. I'm not at all experienced, but when I compare the xba3s to the soundmagic pl30/e30 (the only other iems I've owned), I find these very uncomfortable. But I still continue to use the xba3s.
What tips would you recommend for the xba3s?

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #84 of 106
Quote:
Great review.
While you did declare these 3 iems as equals, you didn't talk about comfort. From my experience, the xba3's are kinda uncomfortable. I'm not at all experienced, but when I compare the xba3s to the soundmagic pl30/e30 (the only other iems I've owned), I find these very uncomfortable. But I still continue to use the xba3s.
What tips would you recommend for the xba3s?

The most comfortable tips for me were the Comply TS400s. Maybe you're having issues with the vacuum seal. If so, the comply should alleviate it.

Jan 30, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #85 of 106
Hello eke. Great to see another fellow Weeknd fan. I mostly listen to r&b, would you recommend the XBA3 or GR07? Also, if there are other IEMs in similar price points, would you kindly recommend? Thank you so much.

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #86 of 106
Quote:
Hello eke. Great to see another fellow Weeknd fan. I mostly listen to r&b, would you recommend the XBA3 or GR07? Also, if there are other IEMs in similar price points, would you kindly recommend? Thank you so much.

Hi. In your case, I'd recommend the XBA-3. It's warmer, with a touch more mid-bass, so it works very well with R&B.

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #87 of 106
Another Weeknd fan here! Looking at XBA-3 and GR07 too, seems XBA-3 might be better
Also curious how the XBA-3 compares with IE8/IE80?
I have that problem with my left ear too eke2k6, vacuum seals feel 'strong' in my left ear, my left ear can't tolerate music and sort of distorts weirdly... I don't know why

Users who are viewing this thread

Back