Double Helix Cables Thread
Jan 14, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #1,936 of 2,056
I ordered xlr cables in Dec. I totally forgot about them. hope Peter hasn't!

Jan 17, 2023 at 12:04 AM Post #1,937 of 2,056
I just got my Prion delivered. You can see in the photos that it is built very nicely. I haven’t had a chance to plug it in and listen to it, but the way it feels in my hand is definitely good.

I’ve been a bit frequent with my emails, but Peter has been very helpful with his very quick replies. I can say for sure that the issues that I saw mentioned in this thread has been solved.

Those sleeves look fantastic! What color sleeve is that on your Prion4? I originally wanted the PRION4 SIGNATURE sleeves, but I don’t see black/silver. Did you just get the standard black/metallic silver custom fiber sleeve?

Jan 17, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #1,938 of 2,056
Those sleeves look fantastic! What color sleeve is that on your Prion4? I originally wanted the PRION4 SIGNATURE sleeves, but I don’t see black/silver. Did you just get the standard black/metallic silver custom fiber sleeve?

I looked on my receipt and it looks like I chose the option that says black/metallic silver custom fiber sleeve.

Jan 21, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #1,940 of 2,056
I received an email from Peter today. My Chimera is ready to ship. Apparently I am the only one to order in white Alchemist so my cable will be featured on the Chimera product page.
whitealch2.jpeg

Jan 21, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #1,941 of 2,056
I received an email from Peter today. My Chimera is ready to ship. Apparently I am the only one to order in white Alchemist so my cable will be featured on the Chimera product page.whitealch2.jpeg
Looks great!

Jan 21, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #1,942 of 2,056
I received an email from Peter today. My Chimera is ready to ship. Apparently I am the only one to order in white Alchemist so my cable will be featured on the Chimera product page.whitealch2.jpeg
Oh lord, it looks soooo good!!!!

Feb 1, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #1,945 of 2,056
I have had the Chimera for a week now. I believe in burn-in for electronics and headphones. Maybe not so much for cables but decided to get some hours on the Chimera before doing a comparison to the Prion4. I do want to say that I am a fanboy of two manufacturers Audeze and DHC. All my ICs are DHC. Even in my secondary system. My clock cables are custom DHC cables. I have had my Prion4 for nearly six years going from LCD-X to LCD-4 to LCD-5. My IEM cable is a Clone Silver so you can see I have no bias whatsoever.:)

This comparison was very short. I have no issues rolling pads(ZMF) or tubes but plugging and unplugging these cables multiple times left me paranoid. I played four tracks with which I am familiar. I played first with the Prion4 then switched to Chimera and played again. I did not notice any change in volume levels between the two.

Equipment: PS Audio Stellar P3 regenerator
dCS Rossini Apex and Master Clock
Woo WA33 Elite Edition(with upgraded tubes)
Audeze LCD-5

Tracks: Steely Dan-Cousin Dupree(Two Against Nature)
Rodrigo y Gabriel-Buster Voodoo(11:11)
Alison Krauss-All Alone Am I(Windy City)
Olga Kopylova-Piano Sonatas(3) Op. 2(Beethoven: Piano Sonatas)

First about the cable itself. It is HEAVY. That does not matter to me since I do all my listening reclining in bed but that's me. There is a whole lot of cable there. Peter provides a smorgasbord of choices for sleeving but as you can see I like white. The Peerless Eidolic XLR connector is a lot nicer than the Rhodium on the Prion4. The difference was a nice bonus. The clips are nice with one quibble. The clips are held in place by a black elastic band. They kind of remind me of the elastics I had to wear on my braces as a 10 year old(too much information?). I kind of expected a mechanical clasp. I hope the photo included conveys how much more physically impressive the Chimera is.

Now for the sound. After listening to the Chimera all week hearing the Prion4 again was a surprise. In comparison the Prion4 sounded much leaner. The Chimera's presentation was more rounded. The bass felt punchier and more precise. The mids came forward with vocals standing out more in the mix. The price (at least at this point) was a slight loss of air. The Prion4 is pure silver. Cousin Dupree lost a little definition in the high hats while Krauss' voice seemed a little deeper having lost a little shimmer. On the other hand her voice seemed to step out a little more sounding more natural and human.

I plan to keep the Prion4. Sometime later in the year after a few more variations are out in the secondary market I plan to get a ZMF Caldera to move back and forth from secondary system. We will see which one wears the Chimera.

IMG_0161.jpg

Mar 22, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #1,947 of 2,056
Mar 22, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #1,948 of 2,056
Anybody else still waiting on black friday orders?
Yep. I'd assume most are. I heard "ready next week" in early December, and again mid-Feb.

Personally, I'd just ignore what he says and assume the usual 5+ months lead time.

Mar 22, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #1,949 of 2,056
Chimera still unavailable for hd800S, shucks got to keep prion 4. My wallet says thank you.

Mar 22, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #1,950 of 2,056
Received my Chimera around 01/25.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back