Double Helix Cables Thread
Mar 23, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #1,951 of 2,056
Yep. I'd assume most are. I heard "ready next week" in early December, and again mid-Feb.

Personally, I'd just ignore what he says and assume the usual 5+ months lead time.
I got a similar message last weekend: he would update and get it out the door that weekend. That never materialized and have since had radio silence. Hence my question to you all. Le Sigh.

Mar 23, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #1,952 of 2,056
I got a similar message last weekend: he would update and get it out the door that weekend. That never materialized and have since had radio silence. Hence my question to you all. Le Sigh.
I have a Prion 4 so I know the wait is worth it, and I also know what kind of wait to expect. That said, there is an art to managing expectations... I'd really prefer time estimates be accurate to within one or two quarters.

Mar 29, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #1,954 of 2,056
I finally received mine. Some initial impressions based on zero settling/burn-in:

Better imaging, soundstage, and layering than Prion 4 or Lazuli Nirvana. More out-of-the-head. It does sound more like "no cable" than anything else, but does have some midrange emphasis.

Sounds more like Prion 4 than Nirvana, very smooth, and has a more neutral/flat frequency response.

Nice black background, this combined with the imaging has a slight 3D effect.

It is a bit heavy, and for some reason seems shorter in practice than my Prion 4 of the exact same length. But it is flexible and not bulky like the Nirvana. The weight could be a bit tough in long listening sessions if not seated.

The XLR connector looks really cool.

More midrange and mid-bass. Maybe slightly better bass as well, more natural. It seems more detailed in some ways, that may just be more midrange illumination. This is similar to the Nirvana and also Cardas Clear Beyond, but faster than either of those. Drums really pop out. Not quite as much vocal emphasis esp compared to the Cardas.

Top end is a bit darker, accompanying the increase in midrange. But it still sounds good. I find it actually more spacious than the Prion 4, while the Nirvana is less, despite the darker sound.

Richer tonal color than Prion 4, and similar to the Lazuli Nirvana.

Overall it sounds very smooth and complete without grain, with awesome imaging, and the more midrange/mid-bass tilt of copper cabling, and top tier levels of detail. Neck and neck with Prion4 for speed, and the Prion4 may have more top and bottom extension at the expense of midrange.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #1,955 of 2,056
Hi @IanB52 thank you for your impressions! I currently have both prion4 lazuli nirvana. I prefer nirvana for that uninhibited “no cable” sound. Of any cable so far…

Do you think chimera achieves that ”no cable” better than nirvana? I wonder what that would even sound like it.

Thank you so much!

Mar 29, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #1,956 of 2,056
Hi @IanB52 thank you for your impressions! I currently have both prion4 lazuli nirvana. I prefer nirvana for that uninhibited “no cable” sound. Of any cable so far…

Do you think chimera achieves that ”no cable” better than nirvana? I wonder what that would even sound like it.

Thank you so much!
Sorry I should clarify my question…I know you say it does, just hoping you can elaborate more. Thank you so much!

Mar 29, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #1,957 of 2,056
Sorry I should clarify my question…I know you say it does, just hoping you can elaborate more. Thank you so much!
Initially I would say yes, it does because of lower noise, greater transient speed, and more open soundstage. So it's sort of this smooth and detailed sound that just hits out of the silence really quickly.

But these two are still quite different in other ways, the Lazuli Nirvana has a lot of heft in the low midrange, texture, big dynamics, and is actually brighter with a little treble peak. I don't want to knock the Nirvana too much, because it is the only other cable that has that effect. It reminds me more of traditional speaker wire.

I'm using with Susvara and HM1.

Mar 30, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #1,958 of 2,056
Initially I would say yes, it does because of lower noise, greater transient speed, and more open soundstage. So it's sort of this smooth and detailed sound that just hits out of the silence really quickly.

But these two are still quite different in other ways, the Lazuli Nirvana has a lot of heft in the low midrange, texture, big dynamics, and is actually brighter with a little treble peak. I don't want to knock the Nirvana too much, because it is the only other cable that has that effect. It reminds me more of traditional speaker wire.

I'm using with Susvara and HM1.
Excellent summary, thank you so much @IanB52 ! I totally know what you mean about that treble leak on the nirvana. I adore it.

I am going to get the chimera soon. HM1 congrats! I am ordering it next year…in meantime I went for the Holo bliss.

What DAC are you on? I’m Dave with mscaler. Considering DCS Lina

Mar 30, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #1,959 of 2,056
I've heard the Bliss is pretty close to the HM1, but haven't spent time with it myself. I have an EMM Labs DA2, which is maybe like a DCS Rossini but smoother and less fatiguing.

When I got the Prion4 it took about 200 hours to fully settle, so the Chimera might change a little bit. Right now I notice a lot of midrange because I'm so used to the Prion4 which is a little recessed there.

Mar 30, 2023 at 2:14 AM Post #1,960 of 2,056
Yeah, I heard the same. Bliss until HM1. Haven't tried those DACs. I love detail, so Chord is my go to for now. The analytical blended with the Nirvana warmth.

Thanks again for the summary of the cables, really helps and very well worded. Enjoy it!! I'll have mine in April, so will update as well.

Apr 4, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #1,961 of 2,056
Anyone has idea whether Peter offers retermination service on his cable?

I had one Complement C order last year for my Fostex but now would like to have it reteriminated to mini-XLR. Or maybe I should be better off find another reliable cable maker instead, given Peter's current processing time. Any recommendations, guys? Thanks.

Apr 4, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #1,962 of 2,056
Anyone has idea whether Peter offers retermination service on his cable?

I had one Complement C order last year for my Fostex but now would like to have it reteriminated to mini-XLR. Or maybe I should be better off find another reliable cable maker instead, given Peter's current processing time. Any recommendations, guys? Thanks.
I'm pretty sure he does. Ask him on Telegram.

Apr 12, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #1,963 of 2,056
lol its quite a wait for these DHC cables.. ordered a set of XLR interconnects end Dec.
Have had several promised completion dates missed. had some ray of hope on 5th April when I received Fedex tracking info. but apparently it's just receipt of shipping info. Fedex is still yet to obtain the package to ship to me.

I'm OK to wait for good stuff, but I much prefer a more conservative and realistic estimate, rather than say you're going to complete and ship on this date or that, only to completely shoot past it. i hope the cables are worth it, as am hesitant to go thru this again.

Apr 12, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #1,964 of 2,056
lol its quite a wait for these DHC cables.. ordered a set of XLR interconnects end Dec.
Have had several promised completion dates missed. had some ray of hope on 5th April when I received Fedex tracking info. but apparently it's just receipt of shipping info. Fedex is still yet to obtain the package to ship to me.

I'm OK to wait for good stuff, but I much prefer a more conservative and realistic estimate, rather than say you're going to complete and ship on this date or that, only to completely shoot past it. i hope the cables are worth it, as am hesitant to go thru this again.
It’s like your first hangover and sure, never again….

Apr 12, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #1,965 of 2,056

I’m almost convinced the Telegram chat response is an older version of ChatGPT setup to give approximate dates trained on bad data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back