Double Helix Cables Thread
Sep 3, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #1,816 of 2,056
The frontpage of the website states "No backlog - new orders ship in 1 week!" at the very top. I've only found this thread now.
Not belittling your concerns but periodic delays in email replies and order delays are pretty much fact. From year to year season to season, the ebb and flow of complaints comes and goes. Sometimes better sometimes little worse. Now I’m not defending anything but in 10,000 of orders no one seems left in the lurch, I’m, and I don’t know why, just sayin you’ll hear or get shipped at some point.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #1,817 of 2,056
I purchased a cable from Double Helix recently and am incredibly impressed with the build and sound quality. It's a beautiful cable. However, my experience as a customer did almost result in me cancelling my order.

I want to share my experience here for the benefit of others.

I understand that craft takes time.

I'm happy to wait nine months for something to be custom made if that time had been appropriately communicated. But when there is a message on a website that says that new orders will ship in a week, then I assume that my order will ship in a week. Or if that can't happen for some reason (I'm a small business owner myself, I know what it's like) then I'd anticipate that I'd get an email telling me what's up.

It's not complicated.

I placed my order on July 22nd. At that point in time, there was a banner on the website saying that new orders will ship in a week. We had a bit of back and forth about options, with all email responses coming in a timely manner (less than 24h, with many much quicker). I appreciated Peter's help picking the right parts for the cable. The final decisions of the loadout were made on July 25th. So at that point, I assumed that my cable would be made and sent out the following week (e.g. August 1st).

On August 9th, a week or so after I expected the order would be shipped, I requested an update via email.

I didn't receive a reply.

This was out of character, as the half a dozen emails I sent before ordering were answered within 24h.

On August 15th, I requested a refund: "Can I please get a refund for this order? Your website states that new orders ship in a week, however, it’s been three weeks since we last spoke. I reached out for an update last week, but haven’t heard back, so I’m guessing this hasn’t been shipped already(?)."

I got a response shortly after advising that "It’s in testing right now, I should have tracking shortly, sorry for the delay."

The cable was shipped the following day and arrived in Australia four days later.

So from when I finalised my order (Jul 25th) to when the cable was sent (Aug 16), it was three weeks.

Yeah yeah, I know, some people had to wait a lot longer. But that's not the point. If the website shows 1 week build times, then I expect 1 week build times. And when spending huge amounts of coin on a high-end product like this, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that you'll be kept in the loop if there are delays.

As I said, it's a beautifully crafted cable. I love it. But I didn't love it when I feared that I had been ghosted or wouldn't get my cable for months. You see, it was only when I didn't hear back on the 9th that I found this thread. And it was after reading 120 odd pages of examples of unanswered emails and very long delays, that I requested a refund.

I shouldn't have to read a 120-page thread to know to "expect" poor customer service and delays! Just because someone makes great products, doesn't mean you should have to put up with that nonsense.

A customer should be able to trust the information on the website.

I know that people in this thread (including Peter) encourage customers to just keep emailing him if they don't get a response, but really, who has time for that? I shouldn't have to send an email every day in the hope that he sees it!

It's not that hard to keep on top of client communication.

Peter, if you happen to see this, I love the cable, thank you. I work with businesses to improve their processes, if you'd like to jump on a call at some point, I could help you put some simple stuff in place that'd make a massive difference for you and your customers. No charge. You have a brilliant product and it's a shame to see such mixed reviews here due to things that are entirely avoidable.

Sep 4, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #1,818 of 2,056
^^^ This. So many businesses go from the latest and hottest because theyre spectacular, to ruining their reputation or not keeping up and getting trashed by their community.

The story is many times the same where bad communication of small things, or long delays after money is taken a d people feel like theyve been "had".

One time this happened to a guitar pickup winder, they got help, then made a huge comeback video as people still waited for orders just to fall back into the same problems.

Business is hard. I encourage anyone to seek help as so much changes as you grow and sometimes you dont even realise it.

Sep 4, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #1,819 of 2,056
I guess I should also share an image of my cable. It is a Molecule Elite (8-Wire Silver), with titanium Eidolic bits and bobs. It's 4.4mm balanced and I also grabbed a 4.4mm to 6.3mm adapter. The workmanship is A+, I can't fault the cable quality at all.

The only change I'd make to the cable if I had the chance, would be to move the Y-splitter up a bit higher. It's not a problem, just a preference thing.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #1,823 of 2,056
Got Complement C.
Usually I don't really like copper cables. But this is the best copper cable I've ever heard. Beautiful texture, luxurious bass, rich trebles. Great cable!
IMG_20210917_171713.jpg

Sep 25, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #1,825 of 2,056
I have no doubts in the quality of the cables. It just needs to get made at some point.
My message is not a response to yours and I am not trying to convince you of anything.
My message is about the cables we are discussing here.

Sep 25, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #1,826 of 2,056
My message is not a response to yours and I am not trying to convince you of anything.
My message is about the cables we are discussing here.
Oh for sure. DHC came highly recommended by those who have spent a few $k on cables. I like the more no nonsense approach he has with options and wire types and his construction looks much cleaner than others.

With the adapter options I can use 1 cable for 2-3 different headphones as well which is big on value.

I didnt mean my comment to knock on yours either, its just getting a bit annoying at this point waiting 2 months. I dont think there has been anyone that hasnt gotten a cable but it seems to be a mystery wait to enjoy them.

Sep 25, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #1,828 of 2,056
Oh for sure. DHC came highly recommended by those who have spent a few $k on cables. I like the more no nonsense approach he has with options and wire types and his construction looks much cleaner than others.

With the adapter options I can use 1 cable for 2-3 different headphones as well which is big on value.

I didnt mean my comment to knock on yours either, its just getting a bit annoying at this point waiting 2 months. I dont think there has been anyone that hasnt gotten a cable but it seems to be a mystery wait to enjoy them.
Well, I think it's worth taking philosophically. The harder it is to find a cable (and another device), the more valuable it is. Although maybe to some extent it is an artificial deficit)

My friend has been waiting for his order for 5 months. It's really long. Not sure I would wait that long. However, I still accepted expectations.
Although, of course, it is quite long. And when someone is waiting for the desired thing, even a few days pass like an eternity.
However, it seems to me that we audiophiles are doomed to wait)

Sep 25, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #1,829 of 2,056
Well, I think it's worth taking philosophically. The harder it is to find a cable (and another device), the more valuable it is. Although maybe to some extent it is an artificial deficit)

My friend has been waiting for his order for 5 months. It's really long. Not sure I would wait that long. However, I still accepted expectations.
Although, of course, it is quite long. And when someone is waiting for the desired thing, even a few days pass like an eternity.
However, it seems to me that we audiophiles are doomed to wait)
If its 5 months and it was stated as 5 months then that is cool with me. The 1 week no backorder, changing to only 3-4 weeks but really being a few months of mystery is not something I am a fan of. And not really something you find out about until you do some digging.

Although I started to look at other cable offerings few of them have the same adapters, and non have the headphone side adapters which will allow one cable be used on an HD6xx and a Radiance.

Sep 29, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #1,830 of 2,056
So I never got any email replies until I suddenly received a shipping notification along with separate tracking info. Then replies to emails. Next thing you know, my order was updated as per change requests and my Ultrashort adapter arrived at my door in Canada the next day. So from no communication and then bam. Adapter (4.4mm female to 1/4 male) is top notch. Patience is key.

Attachments

• 50A2FDB4-9CED-489D-AAC3-DAEC4305769B.jpeg
    50A2FDB4-9CED-489D-AAC3-DAEC4305769B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back