Double Helix Cables Thread
Jun 13, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #992 of 2,056

Hi. Ive been using my DHC copper for a year plus now.. My dealer told me that it's enameled and won't turn green. After a year plus now, a tiny oxidation colour appears on the cable. Will it spread?

Hi Rayquaza,

This is Calvin from Music Sanctuary, the dealer of Double Helix Cables in Singapore.

May I know when was the cable purchased?

We believe that when we explain the mechanics of litz wires, we inform our customers that the enamel makes the wires highly resistant to oxidation, but not completely immune. There may have been some misunderstandings. We will check with Double Helix Cables to see what can be done for you.

Jun 13, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #993 of 2,056
Hi Rayquaza,

This is Calvin from Music Sanctuary, the dealer of Double Helix Cables in Singapore.

May I know when was the cable purchased?

We believe that when we explain the mechanics of litz wires, we inform our customers that the enamel makes the wires highly resistant to oxidation, but not completely immune. There may have been some misunderstandings. We will check with Double Helix Cables to see what can be done for you.

Hi Calvin.

Nice to see you here.. It's small matter actually. A tiny oxidation dot won't hurt but I'm just worried if it spreads. I purchased it on the 07/01/2015.. Order no #1256 :)

Jun 13, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #994 of 2,056
My Molecule Elite 22 with custom 3-D printed splitter with my RWAK380cu+Amp and Edition X

Cable is a work of art. I noticed an immediate improvement over my Black Dragon.

Wow you got your Molecule Elite 22 fast!
Mine was shipped today!

What a beautiful cable and combo with AK380 Copper!

And yes, I've seen your cable before, and that Helix splitter; Peter worked damn hard on your cable dude. I remember how he made sure your Helix was perfect.
He was working on our Elite 22 cables almost simultaneously, but glad you got yours.
(I obviously had no idea that it was your cable until you posted the pic; I saw work-in-progress pics, especially that splitter!).

More pics please! Show off that beauty! ^^

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #995 of 2,056
Hi Calvin.

Nice to see you here.. It's small matter actually. A tiny oxidation dot won't hurt but I'm just worried if it spreads. I purchased it on the 07/01/2015.. Order no #1256
smily_headphones1.gif

I will check with Peter to see what can be done for you.

Jun 15, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #996 of 2,056
Official page = http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/ right?

Jun 15, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #997 of 2,056
Jun 15, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #998 of 2,056
Right guy's, here goes...

Before I begin, know that this is a long post and has multiple themes, the main ones being to better explain Peter's art of cable making, the new Molecule Elite 22 series (now one of three DHC flagship designs, alongside Complement4 and Spore4), why Peter and I chose a particular design for a cable I am about to receive, and to hopefully help others get a cable that might suit them. 
I really do hope this does help others when thinking of getting a DHC cable and that this post is an interesting read overall.
Also bear in mind, DHC cables take weeks and months to builf=d; always factor this in, but as you can see in this thread and elsewhere, the wait is tied with bespoke, high-end manufacturing and superb pieces of art. It really is worth the wait.
Peter is focused with real-world science and technologically with all his designs; this is what separates him from the competition.

Ok...

Peter (of Double Helix Cables, for anyone who lives under a rock) and I have been in talks over a special set of mini-projects for a new, simple yet powerful portable and desktop setup surrounding my current Onkyo DP-X1 digital audio player, and upcoming Ca svalli Audio Carbon (unless I can score an iFi Audio Pro iCan...).
The idea is that the DP-X1 is my main frontend, and to have a fully balanced portable and desktop solution.

Part of this project revolves around using my current headphones as is, no upgrades.
Right now my best headphones, ones I love, are my Audeze EL-8 Titanium, which are a part of the 2016 Audeze revamped line including the EL-8 series.
I consider my EL-8 Ti as my everyday, for almost anything, headphones, and yes I do use it for outdoor use/commute/travel/etc. I might be small in stature but I think I rock the cans well :wink:
I'm not joking, these headphones beat anything I use, even my Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's with my (current) best DHC cable, the Molecule SP Symbiote Fusion 8-Wire balanced cable, and AKG K 712 with a prototype DHC cable.

Currently for my EL-8 headphones I use a Molecule Elite Fusion 4-Wire balanced cable, which was originally single-ended when I got the 2015 EL-8 CB last year before circumstances led me to acquire the EL-8 Titanium and re-termination of my cable by Peter.
This cable was a world-first using 3D printed Zync connectors for the EL-8 series at the time (2015), and can be found on DHC's FB page (not linking he he he).

Now, I asked Peter to do something for me for my EL-8 Ti; to build the finest balanced cable for it that is also practical.
That's not as easy as you might think.

First, a short preamble.
As far as I know, an ultimate EL-8 cable from DHC does exist out in the wild. It is a true Complement4 Silver Litz cable. (I think it is 8-Wire but could be 4-Wire). That cable is a monster, and I do know that it was an insane, and very difficult build Peter did as a one-off.
I will say right now that even if it sounds great and is the world's best EL-8 cable, it certainly is NOT practical, and I urge everyone NOT to ask Peter to build this; it is genuinely THAT hard and very impractical, especially due to the EL-8's delicate Zync connectors. You could end up damaging the Zync male connector and/or the Zync female jack in the EL-8 cups themselves.

Peter and I are very good friends and talk often, and some of the builds he shows me and talks off are amazing. But that Complement4 EL-8 cable was too much.
Knowing about that crazy Complement4 EL-8 cable, and Peter's opinions on it, I asked Peter to make something special for me, with his ideas, technical know-how and experience. I wanted him to build me the ultimate cable that he believes will suit the EL-8 headphones, a masterpiece cable. A piece of audio art. One that is practical.

Peter had an idea; to take the best of the core technology of the Complement4 series (the functional parts) and combine that with the practical and flexible Molecule Elite series, but also have a re-think regarding 8-Wire and 4-Wire designs.

He succeeded.

So, the full name of my cable: Double Helix Cables Molecule Elite 22 OCC Silver Litz 4-Wire balanced cable.
The 22 alludes to the AWG used.
Yes, you read that right, 22AWG SILVER!!!!!! :xf_eek:
This cable has 3D printed Zync connectors and terminated in 2.5 mm Eidolic connector. The splitter is a custom silver aluminium/silver carbon to better match the aesthetics of the EL-8 Titanium headphones, though Peter spoiled me for choice on many different styles (a dangerous rabbit hole let me tell you...).
I opted for no extra sleeving and a naked look to truly show off the brilliant silver enameled look of the cable.
The 'functional' part of my cable is IDENTICAL to the Complement4 series: 98 strands of OCC silver litz dispensed in 14 bundles of 7 strands with carbon-based cores. This cable doesn't "have clear insulation over the strands like a typical wire, it has cotton, which is sealed in a teflon wrap and then insulated over with carbon based insulation" (a direct quote of Peter describing the cable over on FB Messenger to me; other bits of this paragraph are paraphrased from our FB Messenger discussions).

Here is a pic Peter took of my cable almost built (a fully built cable pic is at the end of this post):

Now, here's where things get interesting...
Peter wanted to prove a point regarding 4-Wire and 8-Wire cables, and via our discussions he revealed that he wanted to, for a while, put into place to phase out 8-Wire designs using 22AWG 4-Wire designs, which are superior. Thus, he decided to commercially offer his solution to all, though I believe my cable is a world first for his new ideas. (Please not that the phase out are for headphones only; in-ear monitors can still be had in 8-Wire configurations).
Here is an official description from this link:

The main difference, then, between the ultimate Complement4 and the ultimate Molecule Elite 22AWG OCC Silver Litz is bulk and shielding on the former, however at this point the differences will be very small.
A Complement4, and Spore4, are still the true ultimate cables, but for practicality and cost (and sanity), consider the Molecule Elite 22 as an alternative, more casual Complement4, a very small step down.
The Fusion Complement4 and Copper Complement4 Elevated design series is below the above two silver titans respectively.

Why this is important to say this above is tied to the EL-8 series.
The Zync connectors are very difficult to work with when using large AWG cable strands, so an 8-Wire design is ridiculous. The introduction of the Molecule Elite 22 series allows for the core Complement4 technology design and flexibility of the Molecule Elite series to be a new reality.
Thus, my cable is the current flagship of the EL-8 cable simply because it is more practical at home and away.

I will shortly get my Molecule Elite 22 cable this month (hopefully next week?) but I hope this inspires others who want the best cable to not just look at the Complement4/Spore4 series, but also consider the Molecule Elite 22 series too.
The Molecule Elite 22 series is a fraction of the cost of the Complement4 and Spore 4, with the same functional design, and less bulk. This should open up possibilities for anyone who wanted an ultimate cable but cheaper. Double Helic Cables now offers three TOTL silver designs.
The Molecule Elite 22 is suitable for almost any headphone too.

In my opinion, if you want the ultimate cable for everyday use at home and away, the Molecule Elite 22 is it.
Consider the Complement4 and Spore 4 for at home use only, and also only for the absolute TOTL headphones.

If this has actually made you re-think and want an alternative ultimate cable at a more affordable price (the Molecule Elite 22), or you want further info, please contact myself and Peter (tell him I sent you!).

I really believe that the Molecule Elite 22 is Peter's magnum opus, simply because it is a re-think on cable design suitable for any headphone, easier to build over the Complement4/Spore4, and is far more flexible.

Headphone cables ought to be flexible anyway, because headphones are not static and are always mobile when in use, so that is why I Peter and I decided to create this special Molecule Elite 22 OCC Silver Litz 4-Wire balanced cable for my EL-8 Titanium headphones.

Hope you enjoyed my post, and here's the finished cable Peter took a pic of:

I'll post more pics and comparison pics when I get my new cable!

I'm also prevalent over on Twitter too :wink:

Jun 16, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #1,000 of 2,056

The main difference, then, between the ultimate Complement4 and the ultimate Molecule Elite 22AWG OCC Silver Litz is bulk and shielding on the former, however at this point the differences will be very small.
A Complement4, and Spore4, are still the true ultimate cables, but for practicality and cost (and sanity), consider the Molecule Elite 22 as an alternative, more casual Complement4, a very small step down.

Since you have both, if you have to give a score to these two cables (Comp4 and Elite22), what they would be? :)

Jun 16, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #1,001 of 2,056
A few quick points.  Yes, I live.  If anyone needs anything, email me and I'll help out ASAP, just don't send head-fi PMs.  I tend to steer clear of this forum as I am very "opinionated".  Working hard every day to stay on top of all this and I appreciate everyone being so patient.  It's just me & my wife doing this forever, no desire to outsource any of the work, and she's been quite busy incubating our first kid :) (coming October). 

Nevin: this guy is messing with you all as he owns both :)

This cable will likely not be sold for IEM.  4 big wires takes up more space than 8 small wires so it's going to take up more room in a travel case.  

Jun 16, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #1,002 of 2,056
Since you have both, if you have to give a score to these two cables (Comp4 and Elite22), what they would be? :)

Hi Nevin, unfortunately I do not own a Complement4 cable. My info was sourced from Peter himself, and my opinions are based on what I feel I've understood from studying the Complement4 and Double Helix Cables over the years Peter has operated (reading reviews and impressions, understanding or befriending the authors of the reviews to understand their tastes and opinions, actually talking to Peter on a regular basis, and extrapolating this with my own knowledge).

However, I know a friend who can help, mikemercer. He's got Complement4 AND Molecule Elite 22.
I know what he's up to, so you can wait for his formal answer, or he could post a little bit here (hint hint Mike) :wink:

I myself will compare my current Molecule Elite Fusion 4-Wire balanced cable for EL-8 against Molecule Elite 22 OCC Silver Litz 4-Wire balanced, again for EL-8, when I get the latter cable.
When I say cables for EL-8, I mean the series. My headphones for both of the above cables are the Audeze EL-8 Titanium.

I can't compare either to my Molecule Symbiote SP Fusion 8-Wire balanced for IEM because of obvious reasons.

Jun 16, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #1,003 of 2,056
A few quick points.  Yes, I live.  If anyone needs anything, email me and I'll help out ASAP, just don't send head-fi PMs.  I tend to steer clear of this forum as I am very "opinionated".  Working hard every day to stay on top of all this and I appreciate everyone being so patient.  It's just me & my wife doing this forever, no desire to outsource any of the work, and she's been quite busy incubating our first kid :)

Nevin: this guy is messing with you all as he owns both :)

This cable will likely not be sold for IEM.  4 big wires takes up more space than 8 small wires so it's going to take up more room in a travel case.  

What Peter said :p

And Nevin, I love you dude ha ha ha! Tell us your impressions!

Jun 16, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #1,004 of 2,056
1 more thing: 
Enameling a wire is like a lady painting their nails with clear varnish.  Chances are she will cover 100% of her nails, maybe 1 day out of 1000 she will miss a tiny spot, nobody will know about it.  The litz process is very reproducible, but not infallible.  So if a tiny spot is missed, it may eventually react with the air, a tiny bit of oxidation looks like a lot as it can react with the insulation material and make a glowing green dot.  I've seen this on two or three litz cables ever, out of over 5000 cable builds.  It is very rare, and it was only ever a small spot.  Because the rest of the cable is enameled, it has no way of spreading, as the enamel is cured everywhere else.  Just like a bit of missing paint on a wall in your house can't spread.  That wire was the last one to use the original litz process, it's since been improved and we haven't seen any spots since changing some of the parameters.  I can replace the cable for the cost of parts if you contact me via the DHC site.  

Any wire can potentially oxidize by air diffusing through the insulation (and some say sweat can go through too, but there's no real way to be sure what it is) and reacting.  Litz is the only real protection, or using an opaque insulation so that nobody can see it.  

Edit: also, chances are the spot is only on 1 strand, out of 72.  each strand in a litz cable is independent.  So while it has no way of affecting sound anyway, it's also only taking place on 1.3% of the cable....

Edit: Mike has played with a lot of my cables but not sure he's used a full on silver Complement4.  I really think Nevin is in a world of his own right now.

Jun 16, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #1,005 of 2,056
1 more thing: 
Enameling a wire is like a lady painting their nails with clear varnish.  Chances are she will cover 100% of her nails, maybe 1 day out of 1000 she will miss a tiny spot, nobody will know about it.  The litz process is very reproducible, but not infallible.  So if a tiny spot is missed, it may eventually react with the air, a tiny bit of oxidation looks like a lot as it can react with the insulation material and make a glowing green dot.  I've seen this on two or three litz cables ever, out of over 5000 cable builds.  It is very rare, and it was only ever a small spot.  Because the rest of the cable is enameled, it has no way of spreading, as the enamel is cured everywhere else.  Just like a bit of missing paint on a wall in your house can't spread.  That wire was the last one to use the original litz process, it's since been improved and we haven't seen any spots since changing some of the parameters.  I can replace the cable for the cost of parts if you contact me via the DHC site.  

Any wire can potentially oxidize by air diffusing through the insulation (and some say sweat can go through too, but there's no real way to be sure what it is) and reacting.  Litz is the only real protection, or using an opaque insulation so that nobody can see it.  

Edit: also, chances are the spot is only on 1 strand, out of 72.  each strand in a litz cable is independent.  So while it has no way of affecting sound anyway, it's also only taking place on 1.3% of the cable....

Edit: Mike has played with a lot of my cables but not sure he's used a full on silver Complement4.  I really think Nevin is in a world of his own right now.

Many independantly insulated hign purity silver wire acting as one. Sounds like an end game cable to me. Please pardon my clueless questions as i am a novice. Is there a matchability factor between cable and amp? As in if a cable is too large or thick, a low powered amp will be unable to bring signal through the cable evenly.
Much appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back