Double Helix Cables Thread
May 12, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #961 of 2,056
I ordered my Silver C4 last week, so I still have some time to make changes if I want. 

My biggest concern is SE or Balanced. Right now I'm using a SE only amp with a 1/4" jack, so that's what I ordered. 

If, in the future, I get a balanced amp, will Peter be able to swap out the SE termination for a balanced one (like XLR)? Or, is the internal wiring different, not just the termination? 

Definetely recommend you to order a XLR instead of SE, you can easily get an adapter for XLR plug for your SE amp and use the XLR connector later when you upgraded to balance amp. But you can't transfer SE to XLR for balanced use.

May 12, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #962 of 2,056
Definetely recommend you to order a XLR instead of SE, you can easily get an adapter for XLR plug for your SE amp and use the XLR connector later when you upgraded to balance amp. But you can't transfer SE to XLR for balanced use.

Thanks. That's what I was worried about. I definitely don't want to spend that kind of money on a cable and not be able to use it on a future amp. 

May 12, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #963 of 2,056
Thanks. That's what I was worried about. I definitely don't want to spend that kind of money on a cable and not be able to use it on a future amp. 

Just need to ask Peter make you a 4pin XLR to 1/4 SE adapter cable will do :)

May 12, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #964 of 2,056
  I ordered my Silver C4 last week, so I still have some time to make changes if I want. 

My biggest concern is SE or Balanced. Right now I'm using a SE only amp with a 1/4" jack, so that's what I ordered. 

If, in the future, I get a balanced amp, will Peter be able to swap out the SE termination for a balanced one (like XLR)? Or, is the internal wiring different, not just the termination? 

He could do it, the cable is the same.  Check with him though, because his website advertises retermination of iem cables, doesn't mention headphone cables.  Maybe for a reason?  I don't know.  To me anymore, it makes sense to go ahead and order a balanced cable plus an adapter to take you back to a 1/4 inch SE plug.  That way you can go back and forth to your hearts content.

Edit:  Sorry this is duplicative of others responses.

May 12, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #965 of 2,056
  He could do it, the cable is the same.  Check with him though, because his website advertises retermination of iem cables, doesn't mention headphone cables.  Maybe for a reason?  I don't know.  To me anymore, it makes sense to go ahead and order a balanced cable plus an adapter to take you back to a 1/4 inch SE plug.  That way you can go back and forth to your hearts content.

Edit:  Sorry this is duplicative of others responses.

Peter will do just about anything, cable related, that you need him to do, even re-terminate from SE to Balanced 4-Pin XLR but you would have to send it to him to do it.  It does make more sense to have balanced 4-Pin XLR termination done first and order an adapter to use with SE outputs.  It'll cost a little more up front but gives you all the flexibility you need going forward.

May 17, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #966 of 2,056
I've ordered a Comp 4 for my HE-1000 with adapters for my LCD-X. I'll mostly be using it 4-pin XLR. Anyone have experience with the white and silver cable? That one caught my eye, but I ordered in black because I'm afraid of it getting dirty. I also ordered the default, 4ft cable. I think I'll be ok, but not sure. 

May 18, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #967 of 2,056
 I've ordered a Comp 4 for my HE-1000 with adapters for my LCD-X. I'll mostly be using it 4-pin XLR. Anyone have experience with the white and silver cable? That one caught my eye, but I ordered in black because I'm afraid of it getting dirty. I also ordered the default, 4ft cable. I think I'll be ok, but not sure. 

i find six feet barely long enough, prefer 8ft. my iem cable is 5 ft.

May 18, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #968 of 2,056

i find six feet barely long enough, prefer 8ft. my item cable is 5 ft.

My silver comp 4 is 5 feet and I found it pretty much enough for what i need. LOL

I normally use my headphone when sit on the desk or lying on my bed. 1.5m is enough for me. 

May 26, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #972 of 2,056
I got a call from home saying my DHC parcel arrived :) but... I'm not at home for the next 2 weeks :frowning2:

May 27, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #973 of 2,056
Well as one of the cult of dhc and the belief/need for all things built by Peter, xlr interconnects of chaparone 3 22 awg fusion cables are now on order. This is before I have even ordered the amp that this is for. Unbelievable that my made for order amp has a faster delivery than a 1.5 ft interconnect but this is the world in which we live. Beleive it or not, this was not a dig.

May 28, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #974 of 2,056
Well as one of the cult of dhc and the belief/need for all things built by Peter, xlr interconnects of chaparone 3 22 awg fusion cables are now on order. This is before I have even ordered the amp that this is for. Unbelievable that my made for order amp has a faster delivery than a 1.5 ft interconnect but this is the world in which we live. Beleive it or not, this was not a dig.

hey - nicely put - after all, Peter is an audio artisan!

DHC remains my Top Reference headphone cables -
and Peters balanced interconnects are also, IMHO, some of the greatest when it comes to overall system synergy - I've never gone wrong w/ em! 
and that says alot - some: the system's a bit bright or dark, etc..  With DHC in the system - it's almost as if Peters perfecting the art of making a cable sound like NO CABLE - it's just me and the music...

Ray Kimber was also very impressed with his cables  - as I used em (as ALWAYS) in my set-up of the Questyle Gold Edition headphone stack at Canlanta!
I also rocked DHC on our main QP1R system - w/ my Audeze SINEs - and elsewhere...

Gonna rock my original DHC Xtreme 4-pin ETHER cable tomorrow at The Source A/V in LA for the ETHER vs. ETHER-C Shoot-Out!!
On the Gold Edition w/ this adapter for the Golden CMA800Rs that Kimber made for me - but, alas, Peters got one coming too (an adapter) - and when I showed the picture of Peters adapter to Ray - he said "Oh, use that one - LOL"

May 30, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #975 of 2,056
getting ready for THE Show Newport!!!

Gonna be rockin' plenty of DHC in the Presidential Suite on the 13th floor - 

In the Questyle Audio North America Room w/ our friends:

The Source A/V
Westone
Woo Audio
ENIGMAcoustics
+
Headsonix (Bruce Balls independent company) - now distributing Meze in the USA!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back