Double Helix Cables Thread
Apr 2, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #46 of 2,056
I kind of see the 4 pin XLR as an inbetween a 1/4 inch plug and a fully fledged dual 3 pins.

I want either one of the two later, fully one type or another... and I don't want to be forced to always use adapters, 4 pins XLR aren't always found on balanced amps (but you can correct me on that).

Right now I don't have a balanced amplifier but I want to buy a balanced DAC + Amp in the future.

I have chosen to go with Moon Audio, I like the images of his cables and work on his website. Silver Dragon for the adapter, just for fun, to try out silver.

Double Helix I'm keeping them in my pocket for the day I'll need a recable of a more high-end headphone... one that will actually need a cable will be my soon to be made Magnum, and I'm eyeing the Complement with Valab dual 3 pins... or a HP1 one day if the switches fail on me and that I need a cable make-over (I would put a Spore on this one! no actually it wouldn't fit, damn).

Apr 3, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #48 of 2,056
If you have the drive to get silver, you can actually have the headphones recabled by Grados themselves, and while they are there they will check to see if your drivers are matched too :)

Thats how recabling the high-end Grados work, the SR series are doable in-house of course, but Grado handles the high end stuff. 

I know you were just looking for a reterm though haha.

Apr 3, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #49 of 2,056
Yep I want a re-termination, lol... and while I'm at it I would like to try balanced.

I would ask Grado if they could give me balanced plugs at the end, lol.

I wouldn't do a recable such a old headphone (HP-1000 drivers for the world!) in case something bad would happen (I will keep this cable and recable only if something happens to the headphone). Standard Joseph Grado Signature Cable is also pretty cool to have.

Which is the better way of balancing a four conductor cable? 4 or 6 (2*3) pins? I mean with the dual 3 pins you have two pins that are doing nothing right? I will be intelligent and pick a 4 pin design? Yeah I think that's what I'll do... and be sure to pick an amplifier that features the female 4 pins XLR, hopefully next to dual 3 pins jacks.

If you have the drive to get silver, you can actually have the headphones recabled by Grados themselves, and while they are there they will check to see if your drivers are matched too :)

Grado doesn't have silver cables, lol. The "drive", it's considered gutsy to be using silver cables? I have nothing against changes and technology (and sure I want to have my Magnums cabled with it) but if silver is too much of a departure from sound as we know it I will stick to copper, lol. Next cool thing will be aluminum cables.

Also I'm only making an adapter so I don't think it would count as a full silver cable. I've picked silver more for discovery and because it costed just as much as the two only other cables offered in copper.

My drivers, matched? What will they do about unmatched HP1000 drivers can I ask? lol

Apr 3, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #51 of 2,056
Lol, I didn't really mean to suggest you definitely go that way but rather to figure out if you would go that way vs 2x3pin.  It's true though, the 3rd pin (pin1) is a floating pin, most headphones only have 4 conductors.

I've been debating internally for a while, my goal amp the gs-x actually has only 2x3 pin.

In my experience, it's easier/makes more sense to do 4-pin retermination than 2x3pin when it comes to strain relief.

Apr 3, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #52 of 2,056

I don't recable Grados, or anything that's glued together. 
Quote:
I kind of see the 4 pin XLR as an inbetween a 1/4 inch plug and a fully fledged dual 3 pins.

I want either one of the two later, fully one type or another... and I don't want to be forced to always use adapters, 4 pins XLR aren't always found on balanced amps (but you can correct me on that).

Right now I don't have a balanced amplifier but I want to buy a balanced DAC + Amp in the future.

I have chosen to go with Moon Audio, I like the images of his cables and work on his website. Silver Dragon for the adapter, just for fun, to try out silver.

Double Helix I'm keeping them in my pocket for the day I'll need a recable of a more high-end headphone... one that will actually need a cable will be my soon to be made Magnum, and I'm eyeing the Complement with Valab dual 3 pins... or a HP1 one day if the switches fail on me and that I need a cable make-over (I would put a Spore on this one! no actually it wouldn't fit, damn).

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #55 of 2,056
Screws eh?  Well that's pretty pro.  I approve.  I just don't like pointing a heat gun at headphone drivers if I can avoid it.

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #56 of 2,056
Quote:
Screws eh?  Well that's pretty pro.  I approve.  I just don't like pointing a heat gun at headphone drivers if I can avoid it.

Sweet!

Rhydon the guy who transform Grado headphones into Magnums offers recabling service with any cable; but I'm sure it'll be better to let you affix your own cable. A Magnum driver is "virgin" it won't come with a cable already attached to it.

By SemiAudiophile, Twinster and Rhydon respectively

I'm thinking of getting ultra purity with your super-cables and service because of that, they're the most high-end and among the more/most beautiful looking ones I've seen, since Christ told me about them/you. I wanted to buy a Spore but it would never fit through the metal cut-outs for the cable. Complement should fit though.

My once in a lifetime cable buy, I guess, because I'm no cable-fi guy.

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #57 of 2,056
Might want to check the holes for the headphone cables.  It's questionable whether the Complement would fit, the Clone would though.

Apr 5, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #58 of 2,056
What ever may :p.

I want a Double Helix Cable cable for my headphone.

When I have a fixation on something...

I really like everything you do, from your website, your cotton sheathing, transparent heatshrinks, braiding, headphone bags, custom DHC plugs, cable and company (biology) names, logo, etc. some more smaller details, generous product descriptions.. to your cables, as a whole... even if you're not a big fan of Grado headphones, as far as cabling them goes.

Complement cable might be tad overkill too (more a question of price than a question of fitting the cable through the hole), the headphone isn't worth that much, and it isn't of the caliber of the three most talked high end headphone, for which you make cables (when I'll have such a high-end headphone, that I will love, I'll go full-on, no cost object, Spore). I thought only Spore and Complement were silver OCC, but I just realized it wasn't the case. I would really like natural cotton sleeve (or silver fiber, as long as it's not black) for the cable though, even if it might not fit very well something smaller like a clone.

Apr 5, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #59 of 2,056
Thanks! 

I have no problem with Grados, other than the fear of damaging them by heating them up.  The wood ones are said to be particularly difficult to open, I hear Grado has a special oven for popping them open.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back