Double Helix Cables Thread
Feb 28, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #211 of 2,056
Quote:
Good grief that's a sweet looking cable!! 
size]

This one? Here it is in the flesh (or the copper):

Apr 1, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #213 of 2,056
How are you enjoying the cable? Is the over-the-ear mold comfortable (given that the cable is a little thicker than most stock cables)? I've only used cables with memory wire and curious to compare comfort levels.

Just noticed their wait time was just increased to 8 weeks. 

/Patiently waits for his cable 
Quote:

This one? Here it is in the flesh (or the copper):

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #214 of 2,056
Quote:
How are you enjoying the cable? Is the over-the-ear mold comfortable (given that the cable is a little thicker than most stock cables)? I've only used cables with memory wire and curious to compare comfort levels.

Just noticed their wait time was just increased to 8 weeks. 

/Patiently waits for his cable 

I wish I could tell you! My Miracles had to go back for the right side to be remoulded due to an issue with the first set of impressions (right ear only).

I hope to have them back this week or next and will post some thoughts then...

/Patiently waits for his CIEMs to use with the cable... 
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #215 of 2,056
I found no problems with the comfort, no pain, nothing. Also, I found these even more comfortable because I don't need to adjust the memory wire all the time. I just pop them on and go since they're heat molded like that permanently.

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #216 of 2,056
Okay, I know it's been a while since I had the 12-wire cable and I've been busy with school so I haven't had the time to explain more.

When I posted the pics on the previous page, it was literally brand new so I didn't have the time to post sonic impressions. Now, as I'm taking a break from studying, I feel this is the right time to do so.

When switching back and forth between the 12-wire sinnet and the stock HE-500 cable, it is a world of difference for me. Being so used to the Sinnet, the HE-500 with the stock cables sound congested and uneven in comparison. Here is a comparison, the stock cable is like a clogged artery all full of plaque (be sure to exercise daily!) while the DHC Sinnet Hybrid is like a healthy artery. The word that captures the difference between a quality cable, such as DHC, and an inferior cable has to be "effortless". Throughout my entire listening experience, the word "effortless" manages to capture just what DHC cables does best. For instance, vocals sound more effortless, meaning the delivery sounds unstressed. People confuse this description with "laid-back", but that is a tragic misconception. Effortless, to me, means unstressed and natural sounding, almost like a fantastic vocalist having the time of his/her life on stage with a smile on their face.

Treble sounds noticeably smoother as well. Still manages to capture crisp treble, but does it with more ease now, reducing some uneven aspects. In general, I believe OCC just CLEARS things right up, from bass to treble.

Like I said above, vocals are more effortless. Strings, specifically my favorite Cello and Violin, sounds more delightful now. In a sense, it sounds more raw. The tone sounds unstressed and natural; a step closer to the real thing.

With the bass, it almost feels like it is tightened up. Quantity wise, I feel it is difficult to measure, but texture wise, it sounds much better refined and put together. With the Symbiote SE and my UM CIEM, I managed to hear a significant bass extension improvement, but with the HE-500 and Sinnet, extension seems to be unchanged mostly because my CIEM failed to get past 24Hz while my HE-500 easily reaches 20Hz.

I know there is always debates on how cables don't make a difference and how measurements are done. Yes, I agree how measurable elements, such as FR and THD, shows how cables fail to improve headphones, but there is another part to this debate that cannot be measured with equipment as easily. It is extremely difficult to measure elements like unstressed and "effortless". I use aftermarket cables specifically for aesthetics and subtle improvements such as I described. People just expect cables to "fix" up the bass, mids, treble, soundstage, and other nonsense applications. This is the reason why such heated debates arise.

Don't argue with measurements, it is pointless to do so. I agree how there is no quantifiable increase in whatever. Trust your ears, and if you do give aftermarket cables a shot, make sure it is OCC copper... Not OFC.

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #217 of 2,056
HYPERBOLE. SHAME ON U
Quote:
Okay, I know it's been a while since I had the 12-wire cable and I've been busy with school so I haven't had the time to explain more.

When I posted the pics on the previous page, it was literally brand new so I didn't have the time to post sonic impressions. Now, as I'm taking a break from studying, I feel this is the right time to do so.

When switching back and forth between the 12-wire sinnet and the stock HE-500 cable, it is a world of difference for me. Being so used to the Sinnet, the HE-500 with the stock cables sound congested and uneven in comparison. Here is a comparison, the stock cable is like a clogged artery all full of plaque (be sure to exercise daily!) while the DHC Sinnet Hybrid is like a healthy artery. The word that captures the difference between a quality cable, such as DHC, and an inferior cable has to be "effortless". Throughout my entire listening experience, the word "effortless" manages to capture just what DHC cables does best. For instance, vocals sound more effortless, meaning the delivery sounds unstressed. People confuse this description with "laid-back", but that is a tragic misconception. Effortless, to me, means unstressed and natural sounding, almost like a fantastic vocalist having the time of his/her life on stage with a smile on their face.

Treble sounds noticeably smoother as well. Still manages to capture crisp treble, but does it with more ease now, reducing some uneven aspects. In general, I believe OCC just CLEARS things right up, from bass to treble.

Like I said above, vocals are more effortless. Strings, specifically my favorite Cello and Violin, sounds more delightful now. In a sense, it sounds more raw. The tone sounds unstressed and natural; a step closer to the real thing.

With the bass, it almost feels like it is tightened up. Quantity wise, I feel it is difficult to measure, but texture wise, it sounds much better refined and put together. With the Symbiote SE and my UM CIEM, I managed to hear a significant bass extension improvement, but with the HE-500 and Sinnet, extension seems to be unchanged mostly because my CIEM failed to get past 24Hz while my HE-500 easily reaches 20Hz.

I know there is always debates on how cables don't make a difference and how measurements are done. Yes, I agree how measurable elements, such as FR and THD, shows how cables fail to improve headphones, but there is another part to this debate that cannot be measured with equipment as easily. It is extremely difficult to measure elements like unstressed and "effortless". I use aftermarket cables specifically for aesthetics and subtle improvements such as I described. People just expect cables to "fix" up the bass, mids, treble, soundstage, and other nonsense applications. This is the reason why such heated debates arise.

Don't argue with measurements, it is pointless to do so. I agree how there is no quantifiable increase in whatever. Trust your ears, and if you do give aftermarket cables a shot, make sure it is OCC copper... Not OFC.

Apr 8, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #218 of 2,056
I just received shipping information yesterday. I will post screen shots and a review once it comes in. I had made a mistake when ordering. I thought that Transparent-black Peptide was the two tone color option, however after it shipped I was so excited I went for a look at what I had selected and saw that there is a Black & Clear option. I love the “Bling” of the two tone but I am not too worried. If it comes down to it I will just order another one later if he comes out with a even crazier braid. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #219 of 2,056
I have been enjoying my Symbiote SE Hybrid cables for my Clear SE535 for about 2 weeks. (Ordered 1/1/2013 and received 4/1/2013)

Aesthetically they look amazing and the attention to detail BEGS for an applause in build quality.

They have roughly 150+ hours on them as they have sound pumping thru them about 20hrs a day. When I first got them I thought I had a defect as it appeared there was imbalance on the right side connector, but luckily it turned out to be some residue which I assume came from my Stock cable which has started disintegrating and leaves a film like residue on your hands. (Shure is sending a replacement but it will remain unused or worst case a back-up) After getting the right side connector looking all nice and clean like the left side - the imbalance and distortion was gone.

I originally was ordering the cable because I wanted to try something different and wanted something that looked unique and possibly improve the sound. (I had my reservations)
I decided to go with the Hybrid versus the all copper as, I believe, the stock SE535 cable is copper - as such I wanted to experience a larger difference if there was one.
In a humbling surprise - there is a change in the sound. The stock sound had the mids almost fatiguing-ly too forward as it appeared there must be a significant drop between the mids and highs.
With the Hybrid cable it doesn't seem like the mids were recessed but it sounds like the Highs are more present as well as a more audible lower-end. The change in sound described on the product page was pretty much dead-on - frightening so as it was honest and not just hype.

I have them connected to an iBasso D-Zero DAC/AMP as I normally am playing music on the go with my source being a Samsung Note 2 or in the event that the battery in the Note 2 dies I resort to my back-up Touch Pro 2 or Laptop. Biggest improvement with the D-zero was the reduction of hiss from my mobile sources....a god send to have a black background.

I am really pleased with my purchase and with the support and quick responses from DHC (Peter) - will definitely be ordering again when my buddy finishes paying me for my Cannon EOS 7D he dropped on vacation and getting some JH16's....

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #220 of 2,056
Quote:
I have been enjoying my Symbiote SE Hybrid cables for my Clear SE535 for about 2 weeks. (Ordered 1/1/2013 and received 4/1/2013)

Aesthetically they look amazing and the attention to detail BEGS for an applause in build quality.

They have roughly 150+ hours on them as they have sound pumping thru them about 20hrs a day. When I first got them I thought I had a defect as it appeared there was imbalance on the right side connector, but luckily it turned out to be some residue which I assume came from my Stock cable which has started disintegrating and leaves a film like residue on your hands. (Shure is sending a replacement but it will remain unused or worst case a back-up) After getting the right side connector looking all nice and clean like the left side - the imbalance and distortion was gone.

I originally was ordering the cable because I wanted to try something different and wanted something that looked unique and possibly improve the sound. (I had my reservations)
I decided to go with the Hybrid versus the all copper as, I believe, the stock SE535 cable is copper - as such I wanted to experience a larger difference if there was one.
In a humbling surprise - there is a change in the sound. The stock sound had the mids almost fatiguing-ly too forward as it appeared there must be a significant drop between the mids and highs.
With the Hybrid cable it doesn't seem like the mids were recessed but it sounds like the Highs are more present as well as a more audible lower-end. The change in sound described on the product page was pretty much dead-on - frightening so as it was honest and not just hype.

I have them connected to an iBasso D-Zero DAC/AMP as I normally am playing music on the go with my source being a Samsung Note 2 or in the event that the battery in the Note 2 dies I resort to my back-up Touch Pro 2 or Laptop. Biggest improvement with the D-zero was the reduction of hiss from my mobile sources....a god send to have a black background.

I am really pleased with my purchase and with the support and quick responses from DHC (Peter) - will definitely be ordering again when my buddy finishes paying me for my Cannon EOS 7D he dropped on vacation and getting some JH16's....

Cheers!

Even though the Shure cables are indeed copper, generic copper vs OCC makes the difference in sound you experienced. Personally, I feel SPC makes things a tad hotter in the treble and upper midrange, which can be beneficial to bring out some needed "spice" in some songs.

Apr 28, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #221 of 2,056
Im sammy figueroa, musician and producer, just wanted to say that peter bradstock is an amazing cable man,he made me some cables that are amazing and durable, also the sound is fantastic and e is truly a great guy to talk to and very helpful , i am totally satisfied,double helix are the best,    Sammy Figueroa

Apr 30, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #222 of 2,056
Good to see you on head-fi Sammy, maybe you're head-fi's first real jazzman!  Hope the LCD3s are still treating you well....

Apr 30, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #223 of 2,056
Just got my cables for my Westone 4R's and my wife's Shure 425's and we are both very happy with them.

The build quality on the Double Helix cables is just so good. I really did not like the cables that came with the Westone's they just did not feel like they could handle a lot of use.  

Thanks again.

May 7, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #224 of 2,056
Just got my cables for my Westone 4R's and my wife's Shure 425's and we are both very happy with them.

The build quality on the Double Helix cables is just so good. I really did not like the cables that came with the Westone's they just did not feel like they could handle a lot of use.  

Thanks again.

Congrats on cables!

I've had my DHC Symbiote SE Litz for ages now, but my Miracles were off being refitted. Finally got them back and Wow!

I've never noticed vocals so clearly. The cable doesn't add emphasis, but the sound is just so coherent and organic that nothing gets in the way. Just magic.

My only complaint is the size of the DHC plug. I think I'll have to replace it with a smaller Viablue or something.

May 19, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #225 of 2,056
Posting some picture for Peter........Double Helix Cables Fusion, 6 feef of beautiful cable made from the new Fusion wire, and dressed in Yew Audio Neutrik plug and Y splitter that Clint made from exotic spalted curly maple that I hand picked for the grain resemplance of the silver and copper DHC Fusion wire, as the plug and Y split are rotated!

Pictured on my Sennheiser HD580's mint. The Fusion brings the bass of copper, and the smooth detailed sounds of silver. Now, I have many cables made from DHC Peptide, DHC Peptide Hybrid and DHC Nucleotide, but this one tops them all. A pretty wire to look at, with a memorable stunning sound that performs like magic. I can't find the words to describe how wonderful this wire sounds. My HD580's have the bass of the HD650's and the beautiful treble of my beloved Beyerdynamics DT880 600 ohm. Like having the best of two headphones in one. The cable still needs some burn in, but I am already enjoying the extreme detail, clarity, huge soundstage, and precise imaging.

Thanks to Peter for the sample! Enjoy the pictures, the cable really deserves a better camera, but you get the idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back