Double amping?
Dec 16, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #31 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tridacnid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought you only needed 50 posts to be able to sell things in the FS forum.

Am I wrong?

I think you need a month and 50 posts.

To the OP, don't take this stuff personally. Stick around, read more and stay involved in the discussion. Get yourself to a meet some time - they're great fun.

Dec 16, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #32 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to tell you, but YES I am most definitely doing the iMod correctly. This has been setup and verified through Vinnie at RedWine Audio several months ago. There is absolutely no need to open and iMod a 5.5 gen iPod. In the new iMod for 5th generation iPods the analog signal is taken off the Wolfson chip and sent directly to the dock connector pins. Unlike the 4th generation iMod the high-end Black Gate Non-Polarized NX-Hi-Q coupling capacitors could not fit inside the 5/5.5 models so through ALO a special iMod Dock Cable was designed which puts the NX-Hi-Q capicitors directly in the dock plug. This way the iMod does NOT in any way alter the stock headphone output. If you read my description, you will see that I am using the ALO Super Cotton Dock Cable, and as stated earlier his has all been done in consulation and with verification from Vinnie Rossi at RedWineAudio.

I think if you reread my post you will find that I have not said anything to make you so defensive so chill out! (maybe not enough smileys
smily_headphones1.gif
) Let's try sort out your problem:

Unfortunately, I think you are wrong that the 5.5g Ipod does not need to be modded. You are right in that the caps don't fit inside the casing which makes it necessary to use the special dock with the caps inside it. But the internal modifications still need to be made either DIY or by Vinnie at RWA to get the analog signal directly off the Wolfson DAC.

Edit: Given that you bought your Ipod +dock from someone else, I would assume from the price you paid that you got a Ipod and an Ipod dock and not an Imod. If you did get an Imod, congrats on getting a great deal.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2008 at 11:00 AM Post #33 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think if you reread my post you will find that I have not said anything to make you so defensive so chill out! (maybe not enough smileys
smily_headphones1.gif
) Let's try sort out your problem:

Unfortunately, I think you are wrong that the 5.5g Ipod does not need to be modded. You are right in that the caps don't fit inside the casing which makes it necessary to use the special dock with the caps inside it. But the internal modifications still need to be made either DIY or by Vinnie at RWA to get the analog signal directly off the Wolfson DAC.

Edit: Given that you bought your Ipod +dock from someone else, I would assume from the price you paid that you got a Ipod and an Ipod dock and not and Imod. If you did get an Imod, congrats on getting a great deal.
smily_headphones1.gif

This can be VERY easily checked, all you need is a multimeter. Measure DC voltage between iPod dock pins 2 and 3; if you see 1.5V, it's modded; if you see 0V, it's a regular unmodified iPod and XXII is correct.

If you're assuming that a cable will turn your stock iPod into "iMod", you are unfortunately mistaken. The iMod (and diyMod) is hardware modification, there is a link in my signature that tells you all about it (and how to do it, with lots of photos and guides).

Dec 16, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #34 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any advantages (or drawbacks) to double amping? I am running the RCA interconnect from my Little Dot MK III to a Total Bithead Amp which is connected to my 5.5 gen 80 gb iPod via an iMod Super Cotton Dock Interconect. Headphones are naturally connected to the LD MK III.

I've used a pre-amp/line stage to boost the signal from my CDP / DACs to my portable amp to produce great volume into any of my phones. That works very well, especially if the pre-amp/line stage is tubed and your amp is SS, or tube hybrid.

You can likely find an inexpensive pre-amp/line stage (e.g. phono line stage) that will work fine.

Dec 19, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #35 of 35
Thankyou! I just had to pass on my appreciation to those experienced and caring head-fiers who gave their time and expertise to this noobie. I have just begun my journey in headphone/amp land, and am learning something new each day as I peruse the forums. Like my avatar says, this is truly an addiction as I plan and plot monetary strategies to purchase and try different gear in the quest for the holy headphone grail. Thanks to FallenAngel, XXII, UncleErik, Tridacnid and Scootermafia, I have a much better understanding of my own current system, errors in judgement and proper equipment use and application. Thanks guys ... look forward to my journey!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back