Double amping?
Dec 15, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #16 of 35
Of course I am using an ALO Super Cotton Dock connector with my iPod. This is exactly how RedWineAudio iMods gen 5.5 iPods, as approved and verified directly from Vinnie Rossi, the owner and CEO at RedWineAudio.
confused_face(1).gif
confused.gif
:

Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why are you using an imod dock with an ipod??
confused.gif

You need to get an Ipod dock to RCA connector and connect the ipod directly to your littledot.

Alternatively, follow jellojoe's advice.

Dec 15, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #17 of 35
charliex, stop quoting marketing ads, the setup sounds ridiculous (not slang for good, it really does sound ridiculous). I won't get into specifics, but my advice is to get an iMod LOD to RCA. Hopefully using film caps for output, not BlackGates (crap compared to quality film caps). What I think it should cost is definitely under $100 for BlackGate caps, maybe $150 for HIGH QUALITY film caps in a case.

Dec 15, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #18 of 35
Yeah, sell your existing cable if it ends in a minijack and get the RCA version. Since you say you do have a modified 5.5g iPod where the DAC has been routed directly to the jack pins, you just need a different cable from the same guys.

God I hate Black Gate, it's just a damned name being exploited to charge whatever for parts and while this cable may use $10 worth of capacitors instead of 10 cents worth, it shouldn't cost $180.

Dec 15, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #19 of 35
Oh and in before TEH CAPACITORS ARE INSIDE THE CABLE OMG

This company reminds me of Singlepower which charges $150 for a locking neutrik jack (price for part: $6)

Dec 15, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #20 of 35
I didn't say what it costs to make the cable, I said what I think a cable like this should cost. I wouldn't encourage public bashing of a Head-Fi sponsor though.
wink.gif

By the way, those BlackGates aren't $10 each, they're $2.50 each.

Skip the "double amping", you're not doing anything good by it. Get a cable that suites your needs and if it's a stationary setup, go with proper film caps.

Sell the cable, BitHead and your headphones. Use the money to buy a proper LOD and nicer heaphones, you'll thank us later.
wink.gif

Dec 15, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #23 of 35
Lolz, like $10 for 4 is what I meant, how many caps does it even use? You could build your own for less and have it be better, and by less, I mean 5 cables.

I agree that most of that setup needs to go.

Dec 15, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lolz, like $10 for 4 is what I meant, how many caps does it even use? You could build your own for less and have it be better, and by less, I mean 5 cables.

I agree that most of that setup needs to go.

It obviously uses 2 caps and the reason why LODs are generally expensive is because they aren't as easy to make as other cables (with reasonable size connectors that are easy to solder). You obviously can build your own, but that requires time, tools and some skill. That's where the money goes when buying from others.
wink.gif

Dec 15, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #25 of 35
Okay then - talk about feeling put down and insulted...sorry that I tried to ask a simple question on head-fi. We're not all audiophile geniuses and techno gods.
I get the message re/ not to double amp, but to simply run my iPod from the dock out to the LD amp via LOD cable terminating in double male RCA ends to my amp.
But, the put-down re/ my iModded iPod as set up directly through RedWineAudio I believe is uncalled for. I'm obviously a newbie. Besides, I picked up the unuswed 5.5 gen 80 gb iPod video and Total Bithead and Cotton Dock Cable from an audiophile for $250.00 all together - I don't considere that a bad deal.
And as for my headphones - I really don't see the put down for using Sennheiser 580's with 600 grills and 650 cord - for the price, they really are a nice set of phones as discussed right here on head-fi.
Well, I guess the flame war will continue and I'm to expect further insults and put-downs for simply being a novice with questions. I'm truly sorry for upsetting the community here, and will try go elsewhere for help in the future. Sorry.

Dec 15, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #27 of 35
I don't think anybody was insulting you in any way, shape or form; especially not about being new or having questions. I was saying that it is not the best use of your cash to spend $180 on a cable for a BitHead, that's simple.
wink.gif

If you felt insulted by my saying that it's a ridiculous notion to put that kind of cable on an amps that costs half as much, I don't think anybody will help you on that one. I certainly did say you shouldn't quote ads, obviously the person selling you something will write wonders about it; take all marketing with a grain (or bucket) of salt.

Again, nobody was putting down the iMod, it's a great portable source and well respected here, as well as Vinnie at RWA.

Again, nobody was putting down the HD580, it's all of the other headphones in your signature I was thinking you should sell.

Dec 15, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think anybody was insulting you in any way, shape or form; especially not about being new or having questions. I was saying that it is not the best use of your cash to spend $180 on a cable for a BitHead, that's simple.
wink.gif

If you felt insulted by my saying that it's a ridiculous notion to put that kind of cable on an amps that costs half as much, I don't think anybody will help you on that one. I certainly did say you shouldn't quote ads, obviously the person selling you something will write wonders about it; take all marketing with a grain (or bucket) of salt.
Again, nobody was putting down the iMod, it's a great portable source and well respected here, as well as Vinnie at RWA.
Again, nobody was putting down the HD580, it's all of the other headphones in your signature I was thinking you should sell.

Thanks for your reply FallenAngel - I must say that I have certainly learned a lot in the very short time that I have been a member here, and am looking forward to one day being able to say that I am truly an audiophile like yourself and others.
Once I get my first month in here at head-fi, I do hope to sell off most of those older and lesser headphones in my signature, and lhesitantly look forward to the wallet emptying upgraditus tha members here seem to have.
Thanks for all your sage advice.

Dec 16, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #30 of 35
Is it 50 posts AND one month membership, or should I contact a moderator?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back