Dorm Room Battle: A900 v DT 770 v AKG K271
Oct 26, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #46 of 72
Amp the AKG 271s's and you get fun. Velour ear cushions help fill in the bass (amazing what ear cushions can do). These phones are well built. Are comfortable. Have a great midrange where most of the music is anyway. Soundstage is very good. Isolation is good. Fit is excellent. They aren't too heavy. They look nice. I find them to be accurate and a bit warm sounding. For closed cans, these are simply excellent, especially at their price point. You would have to spend considerably more to get the quality of the 271s. They sound great through my stereo kit at home (Adcom preamp or straight out of my cd player which has its own headphone amp), at work (McIntosh integrated amp), or on the go (Decware Zen Head with Philips music player). I have gone to bed with them (just to listen, I'm not that polymorphously perverse!) and laying down with them on is just fine. I like these phones enough that these are my principle wear at home phones. In the office, I'm toying with an AKG 701. On the go I run with Yuin PK1's (really great bass on these amazing ear buds--but you have to amp them). In my briefcase, I may carry a pair of Grado 325i's which I use at home, on the go, and at work for rock, blues, and metal).

Oct 26, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #47 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by yashicaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amp the AKG 271s's and you get fun. Velour ear cushions help fill in the bass (amazing what ear cushions can do). These phones are well built. Are comfortable. Have a great midrange where most of the music is anyway. Soundstage is very good. Isolation is good. Fit is excellent. They aren't too heavy. They look nice. I find them to be accurate and a bit warm sounding. For closed cans, these are simply excellent, especially at their price point. You would have to spend considerably more to get the quality of the 271s. They sound great through my stereo kit at home (Adcom preamp or straight out of my cd player which has its own headphone amp), at work (McIntosh integrated amp), or on the go (Decware Zen Head with Philips music player). I have gone to bed with them (just to listen, I'm not that polymorphously perverse!) and laying down with them on is just fine. I like these phones enough that these are my principle wear at home phones. In the office, I'm toying with an AKG 701. On the go I run with Yuin PK1's (really great bass on these amazing ear buds--but you have to amp them). In my briefcase, I may carry a pair of Grado 325i's which I use at home, on the go, and at work for rock, blues, and metal).

That all sounds great, but would I be able to significantly enjoy them with only a Zero DAC/Amp for 3-5 months? Would there be enough bass for IDM? For example, if you listen to Aphex Twin, how does Windowlicker sound on these phones? Thank you for your comments.

Oct 26, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #48 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexinExile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That all sounds great, but would I be able to significantly enjoy them with only a Zero DAC/Amp for 3-5 months? Would there be enough bass for IDM? For example, if you listen to Aphex Twin, how does Windowlicker sound on these phones? Thank you for your comments.

Sounds like you are very concerned about bass quantity. What is your current reference phone? If you need clean, accurate, detailed and natural sound with full mellow mids, non piercing highs and tight, accurate bass, K271S is your thing. If you are more after excitement and would prefer more bass and highs, DT770 might suit your better. I am still unsure about bass quantity on newer version though as I am getting mixed reports and will get mine only in a week.
There are also Dr. Dre, PL750 or HFI780, if you want to venture that avenue. :/

Oct 26, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #49 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by yashicaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Velour ear cushions help fill in the bass (amazing what ear cushions can do). These phones are well built. Are comfortable. Have a great midrange where most of the music is anyway. Soundstage is very good. Isolation is good. Fit is excellent. They aren't too heavy. They look nice. I find them to be accurate and a bit warm sounding. For closed cans, these are simply excellent, especially at their price point.

All of this he said about the K271? I say that about the D770 '05. All except for the warm sounding bit. I had to boost the midrange up a little to get that, but I love the sound I get from them.

All for $114, brand new and shipped. That's probably the best part. I don't think you're going to beat these for the price.

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #50 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like you are very concerned about bass quantity. What is your current reference phone? If you need clean, accurate, detailed and natural sound with full mellow mids, non piercing highs and tight, accurate bass, K271S is your thing. If you are more after excitement and would prefer more bass and highs, DT770 might suit your better. I am still unsure about bass quantity on newer version though as I am getting mixed reports and will get mine only in a week.
There are also Dr. Dre, PL750 or HFI780, if you want to venture that avenue. :/

The best phones I have ever had is the ES7. I don't want bass monsters, but I don't want a phone that is lacking in bass. If it is accurate and tight then I think it will be OK. I wish I could demo both the K271s and DT770s and then make my decision. I think I might buy both then return the ones I don't like.
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #51 of 72
After I toss my 5 year old in the sack (very soon), I'll fire up the portables and listen to some tunes. Amazingly enough I don't have any IDM. I got pirate metal, qwali music, lots of world music, bhangra music, Indian classical, jazz fushion, roots rock, punk, avant-garde classical, polka, folk metal, gospel, African, Celtic, bluegrass, blues, rock, pop, jazz, folk, country, rap, hip hop, alternative, country rock, classical, opera, electronic (avant-garde classical), but no IDM.

I will amp the 271 with my 3 portable amps--the Fii0, the Headroom Total Bithead, and the Decware Zen Head. Portable player is a Philips 2gb hard-drive unit playing a mixture of MP3's and WMA films. The Fii0 just beefed up the bass (fair), the Total Bithead and Zen Head performed well and breathed some lilfe into the 271s's.

Okay, I listened for about 30 minutes to some metal, some jazz, and some rock. The bass balance sounded good to me, but it was not as deep as some like it. The bass was there, but it was not as rich as some may like. If you are a bass freak, you may want to look elsewhere.

You would need to hear the 271s's for yourself. I found that the 271s's sounded best with MPB (music popular Brazil) and I was grooving to Caetano Veloso. I'm not sure that the 271s is for you.

Just returned and looked around at what I missed when I was listening to music. Do buy both! Return the one's you don't like. The Beyerdynamic DT770 is a bargain at its current Amazon price. Do the 2. Just make sure that you have a decent return policy.

Cheers!

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #52 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexinExile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish I could demo both the K271s and DT770s and then make my decision. I think I might buy both then return the ones I don't like.
biggrin.gif

If you can swing it, I think doing this is the best option.

I'd recommend burning in the DT770 with some pink noise before coming to a verdict on it. Like I said before, I noticed a big difference between out of the box (overbearing, boomy bass) and just four hours of burn-in (tighter, much more controlled).

Oct 26, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #54 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by BruteFM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can swing it, I think doing this is the best option.

I'd recommend burning in the DT770 with some pink noise before coming to a verdict on it. Like I said before, I noticed a big difference between out of the box (overbearing, boomy bass) and just four hours of burn-in (tighter, much more controlled).

I can agree on this.
BTW: same with the DT150.

Oct 26, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #55 of 72
Get the Beyer DT770 PRO model. While not perfect, they have the following advantages:

1. Extra bass will function like a loudness circuit, allowing you to listen at lower levels while still getting satisfying bass response.
2. Isolation is very good.
3. Stock velour pads are very comfortable.
4. Built like a tank, and can take any potential abuse that may occur (intentionally or not) in a college setting.

The '05 version has advantages 2 & 3, and 1 & 4 to a lesser degree.

The AKG's have a great midrange, but the bass is unsatisfying. Velour pads are said to help in that regard, but I've not heard them.

The Audio-Technica A900's never came across to me as high-end (in any of their incarnations), unless you don't plan on getting an amp ever.

Good luck.

Oct 26, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #56 of 72
Look, being able to pick the DT 770s for as little as $103.77 (from Amazon using the Bill Me Later Code) is as close to a no brainer decision as is possible to find, How can you lose? If you find they aren't your cup-o-joe sell them. You'll probably get all your money back. If they do work for you, you've practically stolen them for that price.

And for the most part I agree with jpelg though unless your really rough with your headphones (and shame on you if you are) the number 4 isn't going to be an issue. And number 1 will only be one to bassheads - at least IMHO.

I also agree about the AT cans - good but there are many better options unless you don't want to amp them, ever.

Oct 26, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #57 of 72
Is the 770 pro the best model of beyers? are the PRO '03 models? And what Ohm? Damn you guys even convince me. and i just recomended k271s

Oct 26, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #58 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCIII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look, being able to pick the DT 770s for as little as $103.77 (from Amazon using the Bill Me Later Code) is as close to a no brainer decision as is possible to find, How can you lose?

I'll 2nd that. The Amazon pricing is just insanely good. Don't even think about it anymore.
As I understand, the DT770 05 have the same drivers as DT880 and 990. If you don't like the sound, maybe you can just drill holes in the earcups or something and experiment.

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #59 of 72
Quote:

As I understand, the DT770 05 have the same drivers as DT880 and 990. If you don't like the sound, maybe you can just drill holes in the earcups or something and experiment.

Despite frivers are the same it will not work this way. There're internal cup differences. Drilling the holes will simply make amount of bass intolerable.

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #60 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by HippieTom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the 770 pro the best model of beyers? are the PRO '03 models? And what Ohm? Damn you guys even convince me. and i just recomended k271s

I don't think so. I prefer the DT770 '05 in every respect.

The reason I bought the Pro first was solely based on price ($180 at the time, compared to $270 for the '05 version). Had the tables been turned, like they are now, my decision would've been different and I might not have even bought the Pro version at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back