Oct 25, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #31 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexinExile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So from reading others reviews on these 3 phones I have inferred that:

DT770 '05: deep bass
A900: wide soundstage
K271: extremely detailed, but lacking in bass

1) 05 DT770 are rather bass light
2) K271S bass with the proper amplification and velour pad is far from lacking. There are not a lot of phones with more bass quantity, may be DT770 Pro.

Oct 25, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #32 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexinExile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So from reading others reviews on these 3 phones I have inferred that:

DT770 '05: deep bass
A900: wide soundstage
K271: extremely detailed, but lacking in bass

Here's the rub in making decisions based on what you read, when it comes to sound. You've already had someone disagree with all three of these points (Andrew on 1 & 3, me on 2) in the last half hour.

And that's without me disagreeing with Andrew on 1. DT770 '05 is -not- bass light. In fact, out of the box, the bass overpowers everything. After a bit of break in, it settles down, but it's never light on bass.

Oct 25, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #33 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by BruteFM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the soundstage on the A900 was its single greatest fault. Everything sounds congested and bloated.

This just goes to show how we hear things differently. Although the A900 has its faults, congestion, bloat and soundstage aren't them for me.

Afraid I can't add much. The A900 is a bit mid-range recessed and doesn't grow substantially with an amp. This is a plus/negative depending on your situation. It has been my generic under $200 closed can recommendation for a few years now.

I'm generally distrusting of Beyers after my DT880 experiences, but at the current Amazon price, I've ordered a DT770 '05 250 and we'll see next week.

I had the K271 Studio for a very short time and wasn't a fan, but that was many years back and with different criteria, so I'm not sure I'd give it much weight.

As for the HD25-1 suggestions - they're great for what they are (small, portable, sturdy cans), but what they aren't is competition for big guys. I certainly feel the A900 and K271 are better all arounders if practicality is removed.

Oct 25, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #34 of 72
Quote:

Here's the rub in making decisions based on what you read, when it comes to sound. You've already had someone disagree with all three of these points (Andrew on 1 & 3, me on 2) in the last half hour.

And that's without me disagreeing with Andrew on 1. DT770 '05 is -not- bass light. In fact, out of the box, the bass overpowers everything. After a bit of break in, it settles down, but it's never light on bass.

Are you sure you heard the DT770 premiumline 2005 consumer edition?
Because I agree with Nickchen, they are bass light compared to the DT770 pro's.

Oct 25, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #35 of 72
Quote:

In fact, out of the box, the bass overpowers everything. After a bit of break in, it settles down, but it's never light on bass.

Sounds just like the Denon D1001s right out of the box to a tee.

Oct 25, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #36 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) 05 DT770 are rather bass light
2) K271S bass with the proper amplification and velour pad is far from lacking. There are not a lot of phones with more bass quantity, may be DT770 Pro.

Err this is so confusing. On headroom it tells me that, "However, the k271-MKII's tightly defined, controlled bass response is probably not quite slamming enough for most hip-hop, funk, or techno/electronica fans, but should do just fine if big heavy bass is not your thing." Also, most the previous reviews here tell me the same thing." One review I read told me that though they very detailed they lack the "wow" factor. I know they are commonly used in recording studios, but are they still "fun"?

Oct 25, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #37 of 72
Quote:

What I meant it's not a bass monster like older Pro version, may be "light" wasn't the right word there.

Oct 25, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #39 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure you heard the DT770 premiumline 2005 consumer edition?
Because I agree with Nickchen, they are bass light compared to the DT770 pro.

Am I sure?

Look at my picture. I'm pretty sure.
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 25, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #40 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I meant it's not a bass monster like older Pro version, may be "light" wasn't the right word there.

This I can agree with. I did the blu-tak mod to my DT770 Pro to tame the bass and that brought it to a similar level that the DT770 '05 reached after breaking in.

Oct 25, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #41 of 72
I like to throw in the BeyerDynamic DT150 as well.
Balanced sound, great isolation.
And with the DT100 velour pads, they are comfy too.

Oct 25, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #42 of 72
Oct 25, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #43 of 72
Oct 26, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #45 of 72
Wow. That was extremely informative (although it reviewed the 770-80 instead of 05' 250). Yet I am still completely undecided in regards to which headphone. I have a Zero DAC/Amp and plan on getting a decent SS amp in half a year or so (corda arietta or little dot mkv)... Oh the decisions..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back