Don't miss these....Aircoustic studio monitors, Refined, Organic, Natural, Detailed and crazy cheap.....The mini review.
Sep 13, 2010 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Beyerfan70

100+ Head-Fier
So it's fair to say i've had my eyes on these for a while but there is next to nothing review wise or thoughts from users virtually anywhere and so when these appeared in my local hmv of all places for £49.99 (Also on their web site for the same price too) i thought well someones gotta bite the bullet so i got me a pair.
Now obviously Vivanco do not have what you might call a glowing reputation when it comes to earphones but i promise you that has all changed with these, so without any further ado i'll start with the package.
First impressions are very very nice indeed the box is really classy and once you slide the outer sleeve off you are greeted with an equally classy rigid black box with a magnetic side which pulls up to reveal the iem's sat there with a nice round hard zip case.
Opening the case you won't find much at all, Just 3 different sizes of silicone tip and that's pretty much it but damn that box is nice!
Anyway the monitors themselves are very light and look well made, the nozzle is monster turbine gold/copper type and monster tips work very well indeed and give better isolation than the supplies ones but they are not too bad either.
The nozzle is pointed in such a way that it's a cinch to wear these over the ear or hanging down no problems, I prefer wearing them over the ear as the Ath-es7 type cable is a bit microphonic but having said that it isn't as bad as some i've had, the cable is a touch on the thin side and there is no real strain relief at the plug to speak of but to be honest as long as you look after them you should be fine.
Comfort is very nice indeed, you can easily forget you have these in so plus point there, as for isolation i'd say it's above average with the silicone and good with the monster tips so thats another good point.
Ok let's get to the juicy bit...Sound.
Oh my goodness these are really wonderful really musical and really moreish (For want of a better word) and In a word flat! Very flat, Everything fron the bass to the treble is very neutral indeed and after a few hours of listening there isn't one part of the spectrum that stands out from any other, Now that's not to say these are boring because they simply are not, these pick up all the detail and present it in a very refined organic type of sound which reminds me of the Sennheiser Hd650 which for a single balanced armature isn't bad going at all although i've never heard a b/a driver sound quite like this, they give me the detail of my er4p but in a more natural way (If that's a good comparisson)
They present music naturally with all the detail but without any fatigue whatsoever while still remaning very fascinating to listen to and certainly the quality of the sound they offer is in my humble opinion leagues ahead of their price point, i think i prefer these to my ety Mc5 and that's a HUGE statement!
I've been trying these out with a bit of everything from Bowie to yes and miles davis to iron maiden and they perfom admirably with what seems any genre as they seem fast and controlled but in a way exciting.....not sure how to explain it but while they don't sound aggressive as they are natural they still convey an emotion that makes me feel good and hey that can't be a bad thing
darthsmile.gif

So to sum them up in a word superb, They are comfy sound fantastic with an organic and natural sound and are a steal at the price.
Don't be put off by the name or the company they are little gems and i for one am knocked out they sound THIS good.
For the price you simply cannot go wrong at all and you might just might be amazed as well.

Sep 15, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #5 of 27
Without wishing to completely disagree with you, I completely disagree with you.

I just received a nice fat tax rebate through, so after reading your review of these and being an idiot, I thought I'd nip over to HMV on Bond Street this lunchtime, as its only a couple of tube stops away.

Bought the Earcoustic Studios for £49.95 and surprisingly got a £10 gift card for free with it, so effectively they only cost forty quid.  Shame they're not worth even that though. Might just be my ears, but swapping to these after using my Ety HF5s is like inserting a wasp wrapped in a tiny blanket into my ear and asking it to sing the songs to me. Flat response? Maybe, but when clarity is this bad, who cares? I guess veiling all the frequencies in an indistinct coating of warm mud might be audio heaven to some, but I'm not about to sign up for that group of weirdos' social excursions anytime soon.

The only beneficial way I could see using these in a 'studio' - as the name suggests -  would be if you were invited to hear Cheryl Cole recording an album of Kylie covers. Even then, the sub-par isolation of the Aircoustics wouldn't be good enough to prevent permanent brain damage.

Sep 15, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #10 of 27
oh right, i can tell you just where they have come from.

their studio monitor ones, betting those are philips she9850's

the wooden ones are Radiopaq Jazz's but covered in wood.

the metal ones, the Rock, Classical and Pop, well youll never guess where i think those came from!!!

Sep 15, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #12 of 27

Quote:
Without wishing to completely disagree with you, I completely disagree with you.

I just received a nice fat tax rebate through, so after reading your review of these and being an idiot, I thought I'd nip over to HMV on Bond Street this lunchtime, as its only a couple of tube stops away.

Bought the Earcoustic Studios for £49.95 and surprisingly got a £10 gift card for free with it, so effectively they only cost forty quid.  Shame they're not worth even that though. Might just be my ears, but swapping to these after using my Ety HF5s is like inserting a wasp wrapped in a tiny blanket into my ear and asking it to sing the songs to me. Flat response? Maybe, but when clarity is this bad, who cares? I guess veiling all the frequencies in an indistinct coating of warm mud might be audio heaven to some, but I'm not about to sign up for that group of weirdos' social excursions anytime soon.

The only beneficial way I could see using these in a 'studio' - as the name suggests -  would be if you were invited to hear Cheryl Cole recording an album of Kylie covers. Even then, the sub-par isolation of the Aircoustics wouldn't be good enough to prevent permanent brain damage.

Ok this post makes no to me sense whatsoever as i can only think you have a dodgy pair or it is indeed your ears.
Have you ever heard a Hd650 because if you have then you would know how similar these are to them, Everything you put in this post quite frankly does not sound anything like these phones at all.
I have the Hf5 and swapping to these is different yes but veiling the frequencies in mud? no, Now if you were to swap from a Beyer dt880 to a senn Hd650 then yes you would notice a difference but only in presentation.
The clarity bad? once again this simply is not true as the detail is without doubt top notch and like i said in my mini review every part of the spectrum is natural and organic sounding, as for the isolation well that will be different for everyone you know that but to just seemingly trounce them in a very abrubt way just because you do not like them is ridiculous.  Sorry to go on but i'm really puzzled by your view on them as it makes no sense.
I've been using these now for a few days and i've swapped to and fro with all my iem's (And cans for that matter) and they stand up to anything i have right up to my top models. Of course we all hear different and thats cool but these are simply not how you describe them.
Then again who cares, this forum just gets worse.

Sep 16, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #14 of 27
No, they're the same ones. I made a typo - my england is bad.

Quote:
Are you two referring to the same earphones.

Bennyboy said EARcoustics, but beyerfan is talking about AIRcoustics

Sep 16, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #15 of 27
No, never heard a HD650 and have no intention of either. Comparing the Aircoustics to the Ety HF5 is a depressing experience, and that's what I wrote about - since your review compares them favourably to the MC5, I was intrigued to try them. But they warrant a giant 'meh' from me - they sound like any other pretty average iem you can get for that price or cheaper on the high street in HMV / Currys etc. The HF5s, by contrast, only cost a score more and are 20,000 leagues ahead.

To take an example - I always judge a headphone on its ability to render vocals authentically, since most of the music I enjoy is vocal driven. On the Aircoustics, they sound buzzy and lacking any definition - you might say 'organic', but that would imply 'natural' and 'lifelike' to me, which these most definitely are not. Placed next to the HF5, with its remarkable detailing, they fall flat on their face. Certainly makes a mockery of the 'studio' tag and if there was a way of getting Trading Standards on Vivanco's case about the use of that word, I'd be seriously tempted.

To say this forum is getting worse because you disagree with my viewpoint is ridiculous, by the way. I was just countering your enthusiasm with a warning for those about to splash fifty notes on these things.  Despite being out of pocket now, I'm ultimately glad I tried them because it reinforces just how stonkingly good value the HF5s represent.

Quote:
Ok this post makes no to me sense whatsoever as i can only think you have a dodgy pair or it is indeed your ears.
Have you ever heard a Hd650 because if you have then you would know how similar these are to them, Everything you put in this post quite frankly does not sound anything like these phones at all.
I have the Hf5 and swapping to these is different yes but veiling the frequencies in mud? no, Now if you were to swap from a Beyer dt880 to a senn Hd650 then yes you would notice a difference but only in presentation.
The clarity bad? once again this simply is not true as the detail is without doubt top notch and like i said in my mini review every part of the spectrum is natural and organic sounding, as for the isolation well that will be different for everyone you know that but to just seemingly trounce them in a very abrubt way just because you do not like them is ridiculous.  Sorry to go on but i'm really puzzled by your view on them as it makes no sense.
I've been using these now for a few days and i've swapped to and fro with all my iem's (And cans for that matter) and they stand up to anything i have right up to my top models. Of course we all hear different and thats cool but these are simply not how you describe them.
Then again who cares, this forum just gets worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back