Don't miss these....Aircoustic studio monitors, Refined, Organic, Natural, Detailed and crazy cheap.....The mini review.
Sep 20, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #16 of 27
Decided to give these a try (€55 from Amazon) and overall I concur with the OP's impressions. These are balanced and musical IEMs with natural timbre and a very relaxed presentation. They don't have in-your-face detail but neither omit anything. If anything, the Aircoustics are laid back and somewhat lacking in dynamic range. Speaking of which, dynamic range compression is probably their only striking weakness to my ears, but on the other hand their remarkably gentle presentation makes them perfect for hours of fatigue free listening.

In some way these strike me as a BA equivalent of the Cyclone PR1 Pro: gentle and airy with good separation and soundstage (though not quite as wide as the Cyclone's). Avoid them if you love forceful dynamics and/or loud volume, but don't miss them if you're looking for a pair of balanced and fatigue free IEMs with no major weaknesses. Stellar value for money, highly recommended!

Oh, and thanks @Beyerfan70 for bringing these to my attention!
smile_phones.gif
smile_phones.gif
smile_phones.gif

Oct 9, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #17 of 27
though i think the bass of the aircoustic is not good enough, i completely disagree with you, the clarity is not as good and crispy as the ultimate ears, but it's clearer than the earphones of other brands in this price range, and it's not warm mud... the sound stage is quite wide actually,every instrument can be listened and i think it's worth paying forty quid to get a pair of earphone beyond this price. i will strongly recommend aircoustic to my friends
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
Without wishing to completely disagree with you, I completely disagree with you.

I just received a nice fat tax rebate through, so after reading your review of these and being an idiot, I thought I'd nip over to HMV on Bond Street this lunchtime, as its only a couple of tube stops away.

Bought the Earcoustic Studios for £49.95 and surprisingly got a £10 gift card for free with it, so effectively they only cost forty quid.  Shame they're not worth even that though. Might just be my ears, but swapping to these after using my Ety HF5s is like inserting a wasp wrapped in a tiny blanket into my ear and asking it to sing the songs to me. Flat response? Maybe, but when clarity is this bad, who cares? I guess veiling all the frequencies in an indistinct coating of warm mud might be audio heaven to some, but I'm not about to sign up for that group of weirdos' social excursions anytime soon.

The only beneficial way I could see using these in a 'studio' - as the name suggests -  would be if you were invited to hear Cheryl Cole recording an album of Kylie covers. Even then, the sub-par isolation of the Aircoustics wouldn't be good enough to prevent permanent brain damage.

Oct 10, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #22 of 27

PM me your address and I'll gladly send you my pair to trial, my friend....
Quote:
Oh! Then there is really something wrong
tongue_smile.gif

I would like to hear those to make my own opinion, but I really do not want to spend even so "little" money on crap ^^

Jan 5, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #23 of 27
Realizing that this is somewhat of an old post at this point, I thought I'd throw my 2 cents/pence in since it seems Benny is in the minority right now.  (First post by the way so feel free to flame me if I've broken etiquette.) 

I picked up a pair of these for the sale price of 39 quid at HMV over the holidays (because stupidly, my UE TF 10s fell out of my coat pocket in a cab...Merry Christmas to whoever found those!)  So I won't go so far as to say these are mud but, to my ears, these definitely aren't close to HD650s which is what I use at home.  Interestingly, I think I agree with all the weaknesses everyone that likes them has pointed out but perhaps they're magnified in the set I got.  The bass is fairly weak and by that I mean that the upright bass in the live recording from my Tony Bennett Christmas album (hey, it was Christmas!) seemed to have lost so much of the bottom end that while I recognized it was the bass, it sounded a lot more like a guitar that was tuned way too low.  For anything with fuller, synthesized bass hits, the Aircoustics bottom out a bit and get that fat, you've pushed me too hard, sound. 

Similarly, the mid and upper registers seemed fairly veiled to me.  Just to compare, I did listen to the same tracks via the HD650s with both plugged into the headphone out from a Peachtree Nova.  I've got a few live records of...okay, fine...John Mayer...(dammit, yes, I've got some crap taste in music on occasion)...and in those recordings, there's a fair amount of audience noise (random glasses clicking, whispering, etc.) that are audible and clear in the SD650s but are barely heard and definitely not comprehensible in the Aircoustics. 

That said, obviously they're okay 40 pounds and so I don't think they should be compared with the SD650s.  The somewhat muffled mids and highs do mean they're significantly less fatiguing than my old Shure E3s.  And to be fair, I am fairly impressed with the fairly wide sound stage as nokwok mentioned.  I think if I could get a bit more realistic bass - I've even switched to Complys thinking it might be a bad seal but no luck - I would be a bit happier with my $60 purchase.  A year into my stay in London and I still do the conversions in my head.

In case anyone found my UEs, trade you for a fairly new pair of Aircoustics??

Feb 5, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #24 of 27
I have them.. they're great after burning proces.. but  also they need a proper source with proper bass amount ...   anyways.. great iem's  .. i bought mine for 12$ + ship 
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 8, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #25 of 27
Well... know this is a long-dead thread, but thought I'd revive it temporarily, since these have been for sale on Richer Sounds for £10.

First a quick background:

I purchased these on a whim, as I already own Sennheiser CX 150s which, though a budget earphone, seemed to suit me with the limited quality of my source (Samsung Galaxy S2), and since my greater obsession is in Hifi/Over-ear headphones.

I was not expecting a great deal.  In fact, I strongly suspected that the original price had been set artificially high in order to make these appear greater value than they actually are.  But they looked nice, and for a tenner it seemed worth a shot.

I am pleasantly surprised.

As mentioned, the bass does not have high detail.  The highs are not harsh - the overall sound is relaxed, and, as mentioned previously, warm.

They are considerably more enjoyable to listen to than my CX 150s, and seem to be of a higher build quality.

For £50, perhaps you'd find better value for money.  But for £10 - an absolute steal.  You could do far, far worse than these.

For £10 - 10/10
For £50 - 5.5/10

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #27 of 27
Just bought them for about a tenner, brand new but refurbished from ebay. Marketed as John Lewis Studio Monitors balanced armature eraphones, but they are exactly same as aircoustic studio monitors. (they even bear aircoustic logo on it)
Got them delivered just couple minutes before and my first impressions are:

1. as for a tenner, they are super-awesome. I wouldnt pay more than 50 pounds fro them though. 30-40 is what they are worth in my opinion.
2. they have a bit muddy, lacking the clarity mids
3. alts dont reach high about and die too quickly
4. bass is a bit too heavy for my liking, as I prefer clinically clean sound
5. In my opinion their sound profile is little bit like reversed U shape

Then I put on them 33ohm resistor adaptor and... oh boy, they sound now much, much better, giving more flat-like response. Mids are not so emphasized, basses are milder and highs better accented. I quite like them now.
With extra 33 ohm they sound pretty good, I would say I would be willing to pay for this set up 60-80 quid regarding sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back