Don't get why "Audiophile" USB Cable would improve sound quality
Jun 9, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #481 of 835

Quote:

But many people have their beliefs firmly entrenched, and prefer to keep it that way. They aren't interested in evidence to the contrary. No matter what test is devised, someone will find fault with it and claim that it doesn't apply to their gear, or to their ears, or to their music, or to their way of listening, or whatever.

Perhaps. However, their opinion will become as a dry husk in the wind (on both sides of the aisle) left to disintigrate all on its own, and the majority will have changed and evolved due to superior scientific thnking. A new consensus will be reached. Majority rules. Your post, while true, is no reason to not go after the truth... that's just an excuse not to even try pursuing truth at all. To not innately pursue truth is inhuman.

To stay behind is human error. We're not doing it for the small % that won't change, we'd be doing it for the 99% that will.

(Oh, and it would be a fun
tongue_smile.gif
) We're here to share knowledge/experience, and have a good laugh with each other.

Jun 9, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #482 of 835

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccabe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Completely true, as has happened with practically all previous blind tests. 

Jack, you're being sour, don't hinder people who want to conduct their own blind tests. You should be happy that we might be about to prove that cables make no difference! I would think you'd want us to conduct tests. Or are you the 1% that doesn't want to accept the possibility of a different outcome? Are you afraid of just the possibility that the consensus could show otherwise. I and others are trying to move forward Jack.

And this would be a valid way to do so. Not to mention easy!

Jun 9, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #483 of 835

Perhaps. However, their opinion will become as a dry husk in the wind (on both sides of the aisle) left to disintigrate all on its own, and the majority will have changed and evolved due to superior scientific thnking. A new consensus will be reached. Majority rules. Your post, while true, is no reason to not go after the truth... that's just an excuse not to even try pursuing truth at all. To not innately pursue truth is inhuman.

To stay behind is human error. We're not doing it for the small % that won't change, we'd be doing it for the 99% that will.

(Oh, and it would be a fun
tongue_smile.gif
) We're here to share knowledge/experience, and have a good laugh with each other.

I think it's great for people to conduct their own blind tests to decide for themselves what is the truth. But that doesn't mean a consensus will be reached. There's a reason why many audio forums ban discussions of double-blind testing, because such discussions invariably devolve into intractable arguments, rather than evolve into superior scientific thinking.

In short, the testing is very worthwhile. The discussion of the testing is much less so.

Jun 9, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #484 of 835

Quote:

I think it's great for people to conduct their own blind tests to decide for themselves what is the truth. But that doesn't mean a consensus will be reached. There's a reason why many audio forums ban discussions of double-blind testing, because such discussions invariably devolve into intractable arguments, rather than evolve into superior scientific thinking.

In short, the testing is very worthwhile. The discussion of the testing is much less so.

Probably right. But at least we can post our videos. Perhaps consensus could be reached. To say it couldn't is really a blow to modern humans. Claiming people would rather remain ignorant. I can't accept that. Has the world become that passive, it's not willing to fight for what it believes in anymore. I'd like not to think so. We must post scientific finding, if someone injects more subjectivity into their decision while digesting it, that is that persons human error.

To halt all progression because one person out of the many couldn't accept it. What truth is worth pursuing if we can take no action because argument will be had?

While this is all philosophical, this is the debate that's just been posed. While it is valid and true, sometimes it must also be overlooked. That is if any one person really cares about the truth. (We all -99%- of us do). I beleive it's 100%. That 1% is just harder to make change.

If they eventually can't, they must forfeit their argument. That person will end of being ignored, or in the cycle of evolution towards more perfection, die.

Remember this is all philosophical, and is what was essentially proposed by Bostonears. In summary, while absolutely correct, human beings must still strive for the truth. Science is what humans perceive as truth, so lets conduct some science! And have fun doing it, regardless of the outcome!

Jun 9, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #485 of 835

Quote:
Jack, you're being sour, don't hinder people who want to conduct their own blind tests. You should be happy that we might be about to prove that cables make no difference! I would think you'd want us to conduct tests. Or are you the 1% that doesn't want to accept the possibility of a different outcome? Are you afraid of just the possibility that the consensus could show otherwise. I and others are trying to move forward Jack.

And this would be a valid way to do so. Not to mention easy!

I have performed many of my own tests and come to my conclusion.
I have seen many other people perform their own tests and come to the same conclusion.
In most blind tests people can't tell amps or dacs apart let alone cables.

Jun 9, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #486 of 835

Quote:
I have performed many of my own tests and come to my conclusion.
I have seen many other people perform their own tests and come to the same conclusion.
In most blind tests people can't tell amps or dacs apart let alone cables.

Ok, we know your opinion. There are many people posting here, not just you and me, so please stop responding to every single one of my posts. Now please let us continue to scientifically as possible pursue the truth. We all know each others opinion. We've moved past that and are now trying to get to the bottom of it at this point.

Jun 9, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #487 of 835

Quote:
So you're clearly unwilling to accept change even if evidence and popular findings indicate otherwise. There's No need to tell us we can't do something. Please let us do our thing and now let us come to our own conclusions. Even if they don't agree with however you've obtained yours. Nobodies wants to flame here. We just want to get to the bottom of it.

I've heard many different dacs/amps and found them all to sound staggeringly different in terms of sound.
eek.gif
I'm thinking those who own a pair of headphones would describe the different Dacs/Amps they've heard for you. Truthfully, I don't know how people here would respond to this.

I am completely willing to reconsider my opinion if repeatable and valid evidence and tests are provided, but this will never happen.
It is far more likely there are no audible differences between cables than all the current measurements, tests and science we know is flawed.
Can you provide any other reason you believe cables make a difference than because you hear one?

Jun 9, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #489 of 835
Chinesekiwi:

Oh well, all's well that ends well I guess. I guess nobodies interested in recorded blind tests anyways, and op's or mods should just close down this thread, only to have another identical thread posted tomorrow or the next day by somebody else. But of course the testimonies here are all false and biased for their cables. I suppose we should not try to blind test ourselveson a wide scale to see for sure weather differences do exist. Lol. In the end i guess it's the same as before. We'll enjoy the obvious cleanliness and improvements we do not have to strain to hear.

Quote:
I am completely willing to reconsider my opinion if repeatable and valid evidence and tests are provided, but this will never happen.
It is far more likely there are no audible differences between cables than all the current measurements, tests and science we know is flawed.
Can you provide any other reason you believe cables make a difference than because you hear one?

Have you not read this entire thread? In-case you haven't noticed the last 5 pages have been attempting to tackle just that. I and others have explained myself over and over again, but you're blind. You've contributed nothing, have not the slightest inkling to contribute, and to top it off, troll every single thing I say.

I'm out. I don't want to be banned and this is disgusting. Enjoy your thread Jack. Hopefully you'll stop posting as well if everything's going to be a 3 sentence sluff-off.. I thought blind tests were a wholehearted and good idea. Again, the trolling of good information is just too hard.

I hope the others pursue. They were making headway.

Jun 9, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #490 of 835
As I said, unless the cable has been tampered with deliberately (in which for example some headphone cables from some manufacturers do) to cause a distortion in sound, there is no difference. Testimonies mean nothing if the measurements don't stack up.

Jun 9, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #491 of 835
Haha Hennyo. Let's stay out before you get flamed like many people before us.

Go search on how the foobar/amarra/puremusic users were called names and scorned at, exactly the same way jacmmcable did to us here.

Let them use stock USB cables and use itunes for playback.

This is a free world and they have every right to do so =)

Jun 10, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #492 of 835
As much as I am a non-believer, I would love nothing more than for one of the folks in here to prove me wrong and rub it in my face. A good "told ya so" never hurt anyone. But, so far we have something somewhat scientific from the non-believer camp, and absolutely nothing from the cable lovers. Lets see some tests!

Jun 10, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #493 of 835
Blind testing would be interesting - looking on the internet, whilst there are various tests for HDMI cables, there are few for audio cables. I found a website that appeared to be doing blind cable tests - but then it turned out that they were sighted, all parties involved expected to hear a difference in advance, and the site also hosts a review suggesting that the cable between your external hard drive and your computer makes a difference, which is quite frankly pants-on-head insane.

The problem is, I'm not sure who is going to heed the results. Many people will dismiss them out of hand because "blind testing is stressful 'cos Stereophile said so" - the only people likely to have their opinion changed by such tests are a minority. Additionally, who is going to do the tests and buy the cables? The kind of USB cables that are regularly touted as "the ones that make a big difference" are hardly cheap.

EDIT: Just saw the foobar comment, a bit misleading as at that time Itunes had a badly implemented digital volume control and I think didn't provide bit-perfect playback, which Foobar did. As a measurable and sizable difference, this could have resulted in an audible improvement (Itunes has been fixed since then and now provides bit-perfect playback properly configured) The stuff with Amarra ect seems to be suggesting that you can improve on bit perfect inside the computer, which doesn't really make any sense at all - does it bribe your SATA cables?

Jun 10, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #494 of 835
at the risk of repeating myself, you can measure jitter, and managing jitter is an essential part of the design of contemporary electronics.

Most cable manufacturers don't measure jitter, and yet claim that their cables are effective at reducing jitter.

Maybe Tyll from Headroom will do us all a favor and do some comparative jitter measurements.  Till then its pretty inaccurate to compare by ear.  Personally I find it difficult enough to tell between my analogue and 75 ohm interconnect, as well as my DI from my Essence ST as transports.  

Therefore a more systematic and technical approach would greatly help us all to make sense of things.

Jun 10, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #495 of 835

Quote:
Haha Hennyo. Let's stay out before you get flamed like many people before us.

Go search on how the foobar/amarra/puremusic users were called names and scorned at, exactly the same way jacmmcable did to us here.

Let them use stock USB cables and use itunes for playback.

This is a free world and they have every right to do so =)

Please provide some evidence and then I will stop "flaming" you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back