Don't get why "Audiophile" USB Cable would improve sound quality
Jun 3, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #286 of 835
I don't recall the exact number off hand (-90db ?), but noise below a certain level is inaudible to humans. If analysis fails to produce anything conclusive, then the Voldemort test can be done.

Jun 3, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #287 of 835
Sadly, being inaudible to humans does not stop some from claiming they can 'feel' the difference and not realising that puts the difference down to them and not the construction of the cable.

Jun 3, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #288 of 835
I do not believe making the measurement in the analog domain will make sense. For one, there will be more variance added on; D to A converters, amplifier, noise etc. The key is what is the cable changing. Take a quiet signal;

1000000000000000 1000000000000000 10000000000000000 100000000000000

Will it add noise like this
011111111111111 1000000000000000 10000000000000001 1000000000000000

or create random error like this

1000000000000000 1000001000000000 10000000000000010

In the first case, you'll need a cable that have intelligence to know where to "change" the bit word.
In the second case you'll be hearing lots of pop and click.

Basically, it either work or it doesn't. And better highs and lows are simply not possible.

Jun 3, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #289 of 835
http://www.referenceaudio.se/ImageUpload/Nordost/Blue-Heaven-LS-USB.jpg

great usb cable! i compared it to some random no-name usb cable. And there is a pretty big noticeable different between them!  

Jun 4, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #292 of 835

Quote:

great usb cable! i compared it to some random no-name usb cable. And there is a pretty big noticeable different between them!  

Do you know why that is?

Jun 4, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #293 of 835

Quote:

Nordost also sells some spray-on that is supposed to make your cables and speakers sound less harsh. People say that stuff also makes quite a big difference. Quite suspicious, I daresay... 
On the other hand, I just bought a wonderful USB-audio interface made by a respected company in the pro business that is, among other things, designed for audio measurements. Together with my Schiit Asgard, it's the best sounding headphone system I have ever heard. Measured the linearity of the AD-DA yesterday, and it's straight as straight can be.

The USB cable that comes with it is a no-name one. 

Jun 4, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #295 of 835
I've found one better, which is someone with the calibre of gear capable of measuring digital equipment down to femtoseconds. However, regardless, if we take those measurements Oyaide did of their USB cable, we don't know how the DAC it is used with will be affected or not without knowing enough about and measuring the DAC's performance. It's not something, I think, that can be generalised as being all nonsense or all genuine as different electrical circuits don't behave the same way. Some useful data, per DAC, is much needed though. Other than that, I'm not a big fan of the idea of expensive USB cables unless one already has spent a considerable amount of money on (genuinely high quality) digital gear relative to their cost. However it shouldn't matter by then anyway.

As for what is audible, if our eardrums can detect movement of as little as 5 angstroms (equivalent IIRC to someone dropping a pin on tarmac a few miles away) then I'm not going to write off everything below any supposed cut-off as inaudible. On one of the online sites where you can test your hearing, you listen to sine waves at different frequencies which are different from about 1dB down to about 1/16th dB. However the site also has the same tests using square waves, which are far easier to determine the differences between, depending on the frequency being tested. Considering that everyone's hearing ability is different at different frequencies, dependant on the waveform, the type of music, the noise floor of the gear used and how that gear is affected by its digital input electrically and any jitter and how that tonally distorts the sound if at all (see what Dan Lavry wrote in another thread about the effects of jitter), the most one might say is that something is unlikely to be audible. This goes for any equipment, not just cables.

Arguing about whether or not, in this case, expensive USB cables are nonsense or not is actually doing people a disservice. Finding some useful answers that will help people determine if purchases are good value or not, eg: if their DAC will benefit from, say, a higher quality USB to S/PDIF converter (I'm not going to suggest USB cables to someone personally, at least not without their having a worthy cost/performance improvement that is undoubted) and at what point the price/performance ratio suggests they should just spend the money on better gear I think is considerably more valuable.

Jun 4, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #297 of 835

Quote:
Can't believe the amount of people reply to my post@.@ Learning my way though,
Should I invest into a AudioQuest Forest USB for $30(1.5m), to my $140 DAC(Custom Build)

You could buy the AudioQuest because it's green and not too expensive (in comparison to a Locus Cynosure). Especially at this length, I am 99.99999% sure that it won't make a difference with any other USB cable that's the same length. As much as my time allows, I have been repeating my test with different usb cables and different converters and there was no measurable difference.  

Cheers.

Jun 4, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #298 of 835

Quote:
You could buy the AudioQuest because it's green and not too expensive (in comparison to a Locus Cynosure). Especially at this length, I am 99.99999% sure that it won't make a difference with any other USB cable that's the same length. As much as my time allows, I have been repeating my test with different usb cables and different converters and there was no measurable difference.  

Cheers.

Hm, have you tried adding a few extensions to the cable to make it longer than the USB spec allows?  It would be interesting to see how long the cable could get before it starts to distort the signal.

Jun 4, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #299 of 835

Quote:

Cheers.

LOL "You could buy the AudioQuest because it's green", love that line:p
Nah, don't have time to buy something that I makes no difference and something that I can't see LOL

BTW My system now is Computer Audio > [DIR9001+PCM2706+WM8740 Parallel Mono DAC Coaxial+USB] (Yet to be built for me) > Musical Paradise MP301 MK2 EL34B (Yet to be shipped><) > PSB Alpha B1 Speakers

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #300 of 835
In my system the USB cable from the iMac into the John Kenny Mod Hi Face makes no difference, ( and I'm a Cable believer)!!!   Fellow Head-Fi'er Bubu1 and I  realized the USB cable isn't using any power (from the mac) and therefore any good USB cable with "this system" will work fine, Remember it's just "info" being sent through the cable to the JK Hi-Face! ..... So have you noticed the adds for the big buck USB cables, most show their cross sectioned design and that shows the power and the signal that make up the USB design is separated in the cables dielectric, making a difference, in other systems.. Remember, that equates to more $$$ in making those USB cables.......Now after coming out of the Hi-Face the cables, be it, a 75ohm digital or a true 75ohm BNC into mine/ours or your Dac matter BIG TIME If you can't hear a difference then well what can i say........      But for guy's like throzen0303, who is going from source straight into his Dac There could and should be a difference with a well built and well designed USB cable when used in this apt.   But, I'd listen 1st to the big buck cables if at all possible... This is JMO and what I hear, I'll even include what Tom heard....also... Believe me we've tried several in both of our systems......   Cables do make a difference when matched with your other components........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back