Done - 4-pin balanced Shure SRH840 modification
Oct 19, 2009 at 12:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

scootermafia

MOT: Double Helix Cables
UPDATED - read on for how I modded my SRH840s to be 4-pin balanced compatible.

Well, my Shures just came today, and they're pretty good headphones, especially for the money. The only way to improve them is to rewire them balanced. I think they're up there with HD650s and DT990s in terms of sound, they certainly are something new, they have a fresh and neutral quality to them. I do want to know what they can do.

Update: Stage 1 - internal wiring replaced:
shure1.jpg

How to mod SRH840s:

This is a very easy can to mod, although there are many options. Pictures will follow when we get down to business as parts are on the way.

These are very easy to open up. If you pop off the earmuffs, there's a plastic baffle with the driver below it/attached to the baffle. Just remove 3 screws, and out it comes. There is a very handy innovation for the jack...it's just mounted to a small PCB with 4 contacts, one for each of the 4 polarities, and it's easily removed so that you can have some fun here. Wires just run from the PCB to easily accessed contacts on both drivers with plenty of slack. The positive wires are enameled so even noobs will have no trouble hardwiring these. You can't use the PCB to hardwire balanced though as obviously the L-/R- contacts are connected.

Option 1: Remove the PCB with the jack, and run your cable, sleeving and all, so the sleeving goes right into the headphone cable hole (stock is a 2.5mm locking proprietary connector, blah). Then run the 2 wires for the right through the headband. Should look quite clean.

Option 2: Dual entry it, this won't look as clean as there's no way to duplicate the headphone jack hole exactly. It has the benefit of not having unequal length wires for left/right (unless you put an epic coil of slack in the left cup)

Option 3: What I am going with.
I plan to install in the left cup a 4-pin male chassis mount mini XLR jack. It should barely fit. Then I can use balanced cables and SE cables (for travel/work) without worrying about adapters. I will run the wires for the right cup through the headband, fun fun.

More pix and info to come when I actually do the mod, parts are coming.

UPDATE:

This was not that hard of a mod. I simply removed the stock PCB inside, then proceded to drill out a hole just under 1/2". Pretty huge, but that's what it takes. Overdrill it a little and use the silver washer to make it look nice, unless you can get the size perfect. The eBay 4-pin XLR male jacks are what I went with, cheap and nice quality and well labeled. Just use the 1-2-3-4 pin conventions for L+ L- R+ R- and you're set. I connected all the wires to the pins carefully, plenty of glue to hold everything in place, and sealed it back up. I then built a cable with a 4-pin mini-XLR (also on ebay) going to a 4-pin regular XLR for my Phoenix.

These headphones sound astounding when balanced, this is a cheap and worthwhile mod. Certainly doing all the internal wiring with solidcore 24awg teflon silver would make it even easier. They have a very neutral quality, as neutral as the HD800 but without the height of its soundstage, certainly nice bass punch and clarity. No complaints. And with this mod you can build a 2nd cable for minijack. Just roll the cable that you need.

PM me for pix.

Disclaimer - this is not a commercial project. It would cost more for this mod to be done by far than the headphones themselves due to the hours involved, and I am not a professional hard-wirer.

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #2 of 45
ordered mine a few weeks ago, so i'm pretty interested in results you'll get.

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #3 of 45
Cool! I might think of going for a better cable, but I can't go balanced since I've not got a source or the necessary equipment. Looking forward to some pics and impressions as well.

Oct 19, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #5 of 45
Yeah, these cans are meant to be driven by a headphone amp. I wanted it set up so that I could switch to a totally different cable (shorter, with no adapters just the plug that I want) for travel.

I'll post pix soon of the first stage, I've replaced all the stock wiring (left side, board to driver and right side, board through the headband to the driver) with stranded OCC copper.

I'm not going to say these cans in any way compare to my HD800s which I'm fully satisfied with, but so far I've tried just about every brand of headphone for fun and future reference and these are a pretty reasonable headphone that I think a lot of headfiers on a budget would be really pleased with.

Oct 19, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #7 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebhelyesfarku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can drive them with two iPods started in sync.

lmao
darthsmile.gif

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #8 of 45
Don't laugh, ALO is coming out with the first balanced portable amp.

Oct 19, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #10 of 45
Yeah, I'm not sure where people are getting this idea. The point of my 4 pin mini XLR jack mod is so they can be used seamlessly with portable setups and with my home balanced amp. I didn't want to compromise with a fixed cable and adapters. I want an 8 foot 4-pin XLR for home, and a nice 4 foot minijack for travel.

These headphones sound okay from an iPod, great from a portable amp, and even better through my Amarra --> Diverter --> AudioGD DAC8 --> Phoenix.

Oct 20, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #12 of 45
BTW - if someone wants to just replace the cable, an 1/8" Neutrik will fit the stock hole if you get rid of the plastic shoulders which are used for the locking sub-mini. There are ways to mount an 1/8" jack inside. A little tricky but can be done. I'm planning on doing so when my SRH750DJs come since I liked their sound sig better than the 840s.

Oct 20, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #13 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW - if someone wants to just replace the cable, an 1/8" Neutrik will fit the stock hole if you get rid of the plastic shoulders which are used for the locking sub-mini. There are ways to mount an 1/8" jack inside. A little tricky but can be done. I'm planning on doing so when my SRH750DJs come since I liked their sound sig better than the 840s.

Couple things, how sturdy would the connection be if you remove the locking tabs? I'm on a budget and have very little DIY skills, but if it is a decently easy mod to switch to a different cable (straight!), I would certainly consider it. I have already asked for a soldering station for Christmas so I can try my hand at some cables and beginner amps and dacs.

Also, how do the SRH750's differ? They certainly look very cool to my eyes. And they look to be cheaper or at least the MSRP is. Do you find them more compact than the SRH840's?

I am so excited that people are starting to mod these headphones as I love the way they sound and am excited to see how much better they can get.

Oct 20, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #14 of 45
Sturdiness depends on how well you mount the jack internally. With removable cables, I prefer non-locking for safety's sake. If the cable snags on something, I would rather the cable pop out than pull my headphones off. I'm in advantageous situation in that I have a couple of jacks mounted on circuit boards that with a little modification, will screw mount inside the Shures. But I have also mounted jacks using nothing but a ultra strong hot glue and it has held fine for quite some time.

The nice snug fit of a Neutrik will also mean the plug won't wiggle around much which will help alleviate pressure on the jack.

As for the 750DJs - do a quick search. I started a thread where I posted my impressions.

Oct 20, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #15 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't laugh, ALO is coming out with the first balanced portable amp.

if you click my link to my blog on my sig,
i'm planning on making a balanced portable amp.
it'll be more like a transportable rig. =D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back